Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 3 2013, 02:31 PM   #196
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Joan had better hope Avon calls or she's done a hell of a lot of damage to herself and her position and Pete will make her pay. Pete doesn't forget slights. Talk about someone who needs to mellow out with a little weed. He is right about Gleason and Ted taking the agency in a new direction, their direction, and cutting out the SCDP crew if it suits them. Gleason's a vulture.

NYC definitely wasn't the most desirable tourist destination for a couple of years. I'm starting to wonder if Megan may well die, perhaps caught in a riot or some other way.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:21 PM   #197
Lord Garth
Captain

When I saw Pete take a hit (of the other kind), the first thing that popped into mind was the flashback on Taxi when Reverend Jim, serious and uptight, first tried marijuana.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:11 PM   #198
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Zap2It makes a strong case unfortunately.
Before watching the episode last night, I thought about this article and said, "nah, I don't think so, but if Megan gets pregnant again...". Correct me if I misunderstood this, but didn't she indicate to Don (while he was in his hash hish haze), that she was pregnant? Maybe not. Still hoping this doesn't happen.

The episode ended too soon. I wanted to see Pete under the influence.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by the drug scenes. By the late 60's, recreational drug use was becoming more and more prevelent on all levels of society. Hard to believe that by the 70's, drug use, especially marijuana, would be considered as cool and hip as drinking martini's in the 50's.

Interesting watching Peggy and Joan go after each other, essentially assailing one another's methods of combating sexism. And speaking of that...Pete may not be a racist, but he is definitely a sexist.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:55 PM   #199
J.T.B.
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
Before watching the episode last night, I thought about this article and said, "nah, I don't think so, but if Megan gets pregnant again...". Correct me if I misunderstood this, but didn't she indicate to Don (while he was in his hash hish haze), that she was pregnant?
Well she did, but she was an hallucination, so I don't know how much we can read into that.

Pete will fume, but if successful Joan will have made the kind of maneuver that Pete would have no problem pulling, so I don't feel bad for him.

Roger is my favorite character to watch. Even at his slimiest he is hilarious, and getting socked in the nuts was a great ending to his back and forth with the little guy.

I forgot to mention it last week, but even though he was never a character I liked it was good to see Duck Phillips had pulled himself out of his alcoholism and was functioning in the world again.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:18 PM   #200
Beagleman
Captain

Probably my favourite of the season, and as much as I love her, I'm glad Joan got called out by Peggy about how she treated her in the beginning. And while simultaneously watching the new season of Arrested Developement, I'm enjoying John Slattery's comedic talent so much...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:05 AM   #201
the G-man
Commodore

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
When I saw Pete take a hit (of the other kind), the first thing that popped into mind was the flashback on Taxi when Reverend Jim, serious and uptight, first tried marijuana.
Exactly what I thought too, even down to the Jim reference. Pete's always had a deeply hidden wild streak. I suspect he's going to be one of those guys who has his rebellion late. I see him tuning in, Turning on, dropping out and never coming back

Other thoughts:
  • In a strange way I was almost glad to see Don's somewhat blasé reaction to the riots. The country was very divided and it wouldn't make sense for every main character on the show to be outraged by what they saw.

I also thought it made sense for the Carnation guy to speak well of then Gov. Reagan, Insofar as they were in California after all.

Was that supposed to be Jimi Hendrix sitting in front of the fireplace at the LA party?

Roger is horrible but I love him.

Benson and Ginsburg are the comedy team of 2013. Or 1968. Whatever.

More Don death imagery. Damn.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:51 AM   #202
billcosby
Commodore

Trying to figure out when the hallucination started... as far as I can gather, Don lost touch with reality when he said he was thirsty after smoking hashish and they blonde said, 'there's a whole pool of water out there.' Then the moment we see hippy Megan there is a very strange splashing sound at the same time, then he has his near death experience.

Drugs are really coming to the forefront of this series! Good old 1960s.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:44 AM   #203
Maurice
Vice Admiral

If anyone dares confront Joan about her behavior I want her to point out how they (the other partners) never follow the rules. I mean, really, for Roger or Don to call her on anything she did would be hypocritical in the extreme. And Pete, he's not even a partner, so she should tell him to fuck off.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:05 PM   #204
J.T.B.
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
And Pete, he's not even a partner, so she should tell him to fuck off.
Pete is a partner.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:07 PM   #205
billcosby
Commodore

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
And Pete, he's not even a partner, so she should tell him to fuck off.
Pete is a partner.
She could still say it, though. And Harry Crane too! They are both such dicks to her. Might have to rewatch the Lane Pryce ass kicking scene again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_88FfHcIo

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:51 PM   #206
the G-man
Commodore

As much as I love "Mad Men," Weiner does seem to have a problem portraying how a business partnership works in a consistent manner. Sometimes it seems as if some firm partners are "bosses" and some are only subordinates. And as long as Pete and Joan (or anyone else) are partners the rest of the firm can't get rid of them unless a majority vote decrees it and the firm buys them out.
Old June 4 2013, 06:52 PM   #207
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Joan has an uphill battle gaining any respect from the partners. After all, they all know how she got her partnership. As far as they're concerned, her only real business skills are as an office manager.

Burt Cooper seems to be more or less on her side (as long as she doesn't cause any rocking of the boat) and you might find Don wishing her well on a good day, but that's about it. All of them--Burt and Don included--basically think of her in terms of someone who should be seen but not heard by the clients.
Old June 5 2013, 04:08 AM   #208
the G-man
Commodore

That's true but it doesn't mean they wouldn't have to buy her out if they wanted to get rid of her.
Old June 5 2013, 06:08 AM   #209
Data Holmes
Admiral

What if the Tate murder foreshadowing is a red herring, and it's how they write Megan's charecter out of the soap when the spurned lead actress gets her husband to fire her for not sleeping with her?
Old June 5 2013, 05:03 PM   #210
the G-man
Commodore

She was wearing a red shirt in Don's near death experience/drug-induced hallucination. We know what that means.

But seriously, the more I think about it, the more I think the theory of Megan dying may be correct. In fact, I'm leaning toward this theory that's she already dead and Don just hasn't discovered it yet. It is consistent with the fact that, at the end of the last episode Don returned from CA and went straight to the office.