RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,217
Posts: 5,346,937
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 624
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 4 2013, 03:04 AM   #4021
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

throwback wrote: View Post
Technically, Ricardo Montalban was a White Hispanic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_H...tino_Americans
That in no way contradicts anything I said, so thanks, I guess?
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:09 AM   #4022
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: In the mountains
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Look, I understand that some people are up in arms over the fact that they chose someone without darker skin and in some way I can see why they are. However, take a moment and see this from the other side as well. Considering the fact that the writers are taking enough of a risk tweeking a sitting President about some of his policies (ie using drones to kill enemies both foreign and domestic, including citizens without due process), do you really think that they are going to stoop to "whitewashing" for PC purposes? I don't think so. I really believe they had someone picked out, it didn't work and they liked how Cumberpatch did the role. Nothing more, nothing less and in reality, I don't think it done any less justice to the role in question.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:30 AM   #4023
thumbtack
Commodore
 
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

I wonder who paid her to read that, and I wonder who deemed him too unsightly for video.


judgeroy wrote: View Post
I understand that some people are up in arms over the fact that they chose someone without darker skin

This has never been the reason they're upset about Khan. Read what they were saying when they thought Del Toro had the part.


.
__________________
"What went wrong!? All my sockpuppets loved this movie!" - Kevin Smith
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:28 AM   #4024
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: In the mountains
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Thumbtack, I have read this thread from page one, and that is the conclusion I have come from it. Yes, there are a few who feel otherwise, however, the overall theme has been that the writers "whitewashed" the role. I really don't believe they did. DelToro didn't work out, Cumber did the trick for them, simple as that.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:29 AM   #4025
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

^Hey, all I did was show why other people objected to it.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:00 AM   #4026
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Ridiculous analogies.
Deliberately so.

How would you have coped in Shakespearean days when all parts in a play had to be performed by men?

When actors start training, they learn accents, they practise pretending to be younger and older than their age, they learn how to apply makeup to emulate all manner of humanity, and they may be required to pretend that they have lost one or more of their senses.

The lead role in the stage play "Whose Life is it Anyway?" was a paralyzed white male sculptor who spends the whole play in a bed. Essentially a taking head. It wasn't deemed essential to employ a quadroplegic actor, and in fact the acting performance was deemed even cleverer because the actor, Tom Conti, had to remember not to move his limbs for two hours. After a lengthy run, the role was recast as a white female (Mary Tyler Moore!), and the play had another lengthy run. (When husband and wife team, Laurence "Sybok" Luckinbill and Lucie Arnaz starred in a national tour of the play, they actually rotated playing the patient and doctor.)

Suddenly, some people are saying that ethnicities can only be played by actors of that ethnicity? Why apply this ruling only to skin colour? Where do the rules stop, and who's making them?

Whatever happened to the actor doing the most impressive audition getting the part?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Therin of Andor; June 4 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:25 AM   #4027
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
How would you have coped in Shakespearean days when all parts in a play had to be performed by men?
Wait, so Ophelia was played by a dude ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:43 AM   #4028
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Belz... wrote: View Post
Wait, so Ophelia was played by a dude ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_player
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:44 AM   #4029
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Imagine what people would be saying if Khan 2.0 had dark skin.

"OMG Abrams reinforces terrorist stereotype!"

"Abrams re-enacts 9/11 in Star Trek movie!"

"Star Trek should know better!"


Call me when they turn Sisko white. You might have something worth ranting about.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:55 AM   #4030
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Imagine what people would be saying if Khan 2.0 had dark skin.
I imagine fuck all would have been said.

Not that I give any kind of shit about Khan's skin colour mind.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:02 PM   #4031
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I imagine fuck all would have been said.
I don't. When people look for a reason to be outraged, they usually find one.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:24 PM   #4032
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Belz... wrote: View Post
When people look for a reason to be outraged, they usually find one.
Totally agree. We've seen people ranting about JJ and Bad Robot since before the first teaser trailer for the 2009 movies was attached to the front of "Cloverfield".
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 02:31 PM   #4033
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Shazam! wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Imagine what people would be saying if Khan 2.0 had dark skin.
I imagine fuck all would have been said.
Of course you do.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:24 PM   #4034
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
How would you have coped in Shakespearean days
It's not Shakespearean days. It's not the 1960s. That's the point.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
"Abrams re-enacts 9/11 in Star Trek movie!"
The strangest part about this comment is that he pretty much did. Khan crashed his spaceship into San Francisco, killing who knows how many people (which was just brushed aside really), yet the movie was dedicated to 9/11 vets? That particular part strikes me as somewhat odd already, and then you say that all it takes is for Khan to be brown to make that actually controversial? Ok...
Ryan8bit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:26 PM   #4035
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

If people wanted to be outraged about terrorist stereotypes, then why would the color of Khan's skin matter? "Khan" itself is a common Muslim surname and title. Folks who wanted to could run with that. They just have to forget the Noonien Singh part of his name or believe he converted to Islam. As Belz said, there are people who can find any reason to be outraged about anything.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.