Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old June 2 2013, 04:26 AM   #151
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Indeed. Watching Miami actually having to play a game where they face elimination should be entertaining. It seems they actually struggle against big men.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 2 2013, 04:29 AM   #152
Borgminister

Amazing. Bosh and Wade must be hurt.
Old June 2 2013, 10:56 AM   #153
Dream
Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tmExDRUzFVA

Old June 2 2013, 01:07 PM   #154
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

What the hell is he whining about? I had to listen on the radio in between working. You show up the ref like that, you're going to get a technical.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 2 2013, 06:25 PM   #155
Borgminister

LeBron was calmer, cooler and more collected last year it seems. Indiana is surprising the heck out of me... be interesting to see how game 7 goes.
Old June 4 2013, 05:06 AM   #156
Borgminister

Why could the Heat not have had this type of urgency from the git-go against Indiana? And I wonder what type of injections Wade got for his knees...

Should be an interesting series against San Antonio.
Old June 4 2013, 12:15 PM   #157
Neroon
Mod of balance

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Why could the Heat not have had this type of urgency from the git-go against Indiana? And I wonder what type of injections Wade got for his knees...

On Mike & Mike today, I heard a sound bite from Wade this morning, in which he said he "came out with a new mindset to be more aggressive...". Greenie posited whether this indicated Wade's inconsistency was as much in is mind as it was in his knee. I would hope the entire series he'd be more aggressive and focused on winning. In any event, I'd say the Heat's inconsistency could be due to Wade's inconsistency
- Proverbs 12:20
Old June 4 2013, 08:50 PM   #158
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Probably got a synvisc injection. Lubricates the joint and feels real good according to the synvisc king, Andrew Bynum.

Spurs have a legit shot, but I still like the Heat in 6 or 7 because they have HCA. Because of the 2-3-2 format, the Heat MUST win the first two if they want to apply maximum pressure on the Spurs early. If the Heat loses one of the first two, all bets are off and the Spurs have a good chance. But does anyone see the Spurs then beating the Heat 3 times in a row, which is what would have to happen in order for the Spurs to avoid having to go back to Miami and winning a second game? I sure don't.

Having HCA in the Finals is HUGE. Heat in 6 or 7.

BTW, as a Lakers fan, this is a win-win. If the Spurs lose, they stay behind us in recent championships. If the Heat loses, LeBron stays far behid Kobe and MJ in titles with time running out for him to win 7 more rings.
Old June 4 2013, 10:26 PM   #159
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Wouldn't that also qualify as a lose-lose?
Old June 4 2013, 10:37 PM   #160
Borgminister

Both teams are outstanding road teams, so home court advantage might be overstated...
Old June 5 2013, 12:07 AM   #161
gblews
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Hmm, I guess so. But what I meant was that no matter who wins, I get something I want out of it.

Both teams are outstanding road teams, so home court advantage might be overstated...
If it were in the 22111 format, I would definitely agree with you. But from what I have seen, the 2-3-2 makes all the difference in the world (when comes to HCA).

You figure each team is good for one road win. I don't see either team losing more than one home game. That being the case, Miami has the advantage because their one road win will, at the least, ensure the series comes back to Miami for the last two games (unless Miami has been significantly overrated and they manage to lose both of the first 2).

IMO, the Spurs best chance will be if they can get a split of the first two, come home and win 2 of 3, and go back to Miami with a chance to close out in game 6. But that will still mean getting 2 on the road. If Spurs allow it to go to 7...well, how many times has the home team lost a game 7 at home in the NBA Finals?

Having those last 2 at home is what makes HCA in the Finals such an advantage. In the 22111, game 6 would be played in San Antonio.
Old June 5 2013, 07:40 PM   #162
Alidar Jarok

gblews wrote: View Post
Hmm, I guess so. But what I meant was that no matter who wins, I get something I want out of it.
The reason I said that is that what you get is a negative (an absence of something happening), which means, either way, you're guaranteed to get one thing you don't like to happen.
Old June 5 2013, 07:51 PM   #163
gblews
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
The reason I said that is that what you get is a "negative (an absence of something happening), which means, either way, you're guaranteed to get one thing you don't like to happen.
Umm, okay. Doesn't make anything I wrote untrue. One man's negative" is another's "positive".
Old June 5 2013, 10:26 PM   #164
Alidar Jarok

Negative as in an absence. Somebody's absence of something happening is not the same as somebody else's something happening. I've never thought that a win-win could also be a lose-lose before and I was trying to explain why I thought that in this situation.

Or it could just be I'm a pessimist. After all, I am a Sixers fan.
Old June 6 2013, 02:35 AM   #165
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

It's amazing what the Miami Heat have done so far in the three years they have been together. You have to go back to the 1996-98 Chicago Bulls to find a 3-time Conference Champion in the Eastern Conference, back to the 2000-02 LA Lakers to find a 3-time Conference Champion in the NBA.

Lebron James turned in his best season, they are averaging 61 wins per season through three (by winning percentage since they played 66 games last year). They have 1 NBA Championship and could win another one before this season ends. Indiana presented some unique challenges to the Miami Heat because of their lack of strong interior play. They made Roy Hibbert look like Shaquille O'Neal and that worries me when they face Tim Duncan. But if they pull this off, get their third title in franchise history (and since 2005-06), they will tie themselves with the Phialdelphia 76ers, Golden State Warriors, and Detroit Pistons for 5th-best all-time.

All in all, I think if they win this title, we can call Lebron's tenure in Miami a success. If they lose, they will have something to prove next season. Remember, Danny Granger and Derrick Rose will be back next season. Teams like Washington (John Wall, Bradley Beal, Emeka Okafor, Nene, #3 overall pick) and Cleveland (Kyrie Irving, #1 overall pick, Dion Waiters, Tristan Thompson) look to be much improved next season. Remember, Detroit and Atlanta have deep pockets this summer to reshape their rosters. Brooklyn is a year older. And new salary cap restrictions will be put in place before the beginning of next season (the graduated Luxury Tax) that will affect the Miami Heat's roster. Dwyane Wade looks old and has had 2 straight postseasons with knee injuries that have limited his effectiveness.

Out west, San Antonio and Memphis may not be a threat, but Russell Westbrook will be back. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul will be free agents, possibly changing the outcome in the Western Conference. My point to all this is that Miami may not have as clear of a shot at the second NBA title with Lebron next season as they have right now. That will be great from a competitive standpoint, but not from the Heat's point-of-view.

Here's hoping they beat Duncan's Spurs, who have never lost in the NBA Finals.