Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 3 2013, 07:38 PM   #91
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Yup, he says core, they eject I think its closer to 6 identical chambers, lined up along the spine of the ship, above where the "main core" is shown to be in this movie.

So obviously the warp core is made up of a variety of different individual mechanisms tied together in the reaction process.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:40 PM   #92
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
The 'getting the reactor going..' bit did look better than Spock sticking his hand into a pillar shooting glowy fog, but KICKING a piece into alignment?
Kirk's version of the "bigger hammer" principle of engineering? Percussive maintenance in extreme environments?
Old June 3 2013, 08:58 PM   #93
The Keeper
Commodore

^

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
The 'getting the reactor going..' bit did look better than Spock sticking his hand into a pillar shooting glowy fog, but KICKING a piece into alignment?

*snip*
The kicking is a tough nut to crack in universe. I mean what reason could there possibly be for that emitter thingy, where perfect alignment at all times would seem a critical requirement, to be attached to a ball joint?

Perhaps it needs to be adjustable so it may 'break' alignment to stop the flow in case of overload?

I need answers, I cannot sleep at night!
Old June 3 2013, 09:32 PM   #94
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I kind of liked Kirk having to use brute force to realign the warp core injectors. It doesn't make the most sense in terms of design as The Keeper said, but too much Trek tech consists of people waving a blinking spanner or tricorder over a piece of equipment, pulling a few processing chips out and shouting technobabble. It's fun for a while but can get tiresome.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:11 PM   #95
The Keeper
Commodore

Oh I agree, Cooleddie74.

Kirk kicking at that thing evoked a flood o' memories of Classic Kirk making the same style movement. The smile on my face could not have been jack-hammered away.
Old June 4 2013, 02:21 AM   #96
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The only things missing were a ripped shirt and the classic TOS fight or dramatic scene music.

A little "dah-dah-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH" would have been sweet.

Old June 4 2013, 02:52 AM   #97
The Keeper
Commodore

And a little trickle of blood at the side of his mouth. Oh, wait. I think he had that, from coughing it up due to the radiation!

With the 5 year mission starting perhaps we'll finally begin getting more of the familiar cues. *crosses fingers*

I'll just leave this here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxLVXw8mbU for anyone not versed in TOS music cues/sound effects desiring to get caught up. (not the full library, just some of the posters favorites)

Last edited by The Keeper; June 4 2013 at 03:27 AM.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:37 AM   #98
throwback
Captain

I can accept the warp core, if it didn't require a crew to climb the bloody thing to fix it. Why wasn't a more practical and safe solution not devised?

The word "climb" is direct from the film.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:43 AM   #99
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

throwback wrote: View Post
I can accept the warp core, if it didn't require a crew to climb the bloody thing to fix it. Why wasn't a more practical and safe solution not devised?

You mean something like popping the lid to release a bunch of radioactive fog and then stirring your hands around inside the mixture ala TWOK?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:07 AM   #100
Christopher
Writer

There are lots of large engineering constructs that people have to climb to maintain, like bridges, say. I'm sure the people who maintain the Large Hadron Collider need to use cranes or scaffolds or the like to do maintenance on some of its components. I'm sure the only reason Kirk needed to free-climb is because there wasn't time to bring in the right equipment.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:13 AM   #101
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm sure the people who maintain the Large Hadron Collider need to use cranes or scaffolds or the like to do maintenance on some of its components.
The LHC is probably a good comparison. The accelerator ring requires lots of maintenance, so the beam tunnel is readily accessible to the engineers. But you wouldn't want to enter the tunnel while the thing is running, because it's filled with deadly radiation.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:13 AM   #102
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Plus, isn't the primary engine core of a Borg vessel both enormous and extremely complicated? I can't recall if we've actually seen the engineering section or core of a Borg cube or other large vessel, but I believe the impression was given during TNG, First Contact or VOY that the engines of a Borg ship were extremely complicated pieces of advanced machinery not to mention huge.

The Borg Collective was one of the most powerful and technologically advanced species in Trek, much moreso in many respects than the Federation, so if their vessels could have huge, extremely complex engineering sections to propel their ships then it shouldn't be too big a deal if a 23rd century Federation starship - especially one in a new and alternate timeline - has a warp core that looks like this one.

Old June 4 2013, 04:29 AM   #103
throwback
Captain

No, I am not thinking of TWOK. I don't understand how Spock repaired the ship doing what he did.

Reading the other posts, would it have been impractical showing Kirk getting equipment for the climb or using a scaffolding device to get him to the damaged component? Certainly in that $190 million they could have spent some money on climbing equipment or a scaffold. Hell, they could have spent money on leasing a modern day scaffold, spruce it up, and film Kirk going up to the reactor. This is the equipment I imagine being available.

http://isnerd.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/lhc11.jpg
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:59 AM   #104
ConRefit79
Captain

No, I am not thinking of TWOK. I don't understand how Spock repaired the ship doing what he did.
If I remember correctly,in TWOK, Spock enters the reactor room. The pedestal contains the DiLithium crystals. He must have reoriented the crystals.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:10 AM   #105
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Yup, he says core, they eject I think its closer to 6 identical chambers, lined up along the spine of the ship, above where the "main core" is shown to be in this movie.

So obviously the warp core is made up of a variety of different individual mechanisms tied together in the reaction process.
Considering the main core is built in the NIF, I would guess the six small modules they jettisoned are probably in the same room with the core, three on each side, connected to the core by a spectacular array of pipes and tubes entering the pressure vessel.

So probably the things they ejected in 2009 were the antimatter pods.

The Keeper wrote: View Post
The kicking is a tough nut to crack in universe. I mean what reason could there possibly be for that emitter thingy, where perfect alignment at all times would seem a critical requirement, to be attached to a ball joint?
If it was a ball joint, he would have kicked it sideways, not down.

He wasn't kicking it so much as STOMPING on it trying to push it back into place. I had to do the same thing once about a year ago when the hood of my car wouldn't close.

Because the movie takes place a couple of years before "That Which Survives," by which time the reaction chamber will have been slightly redesigned to make this sort of operation a little easier.

The word "climb" is direct from the film.
Scotty probably figured it was easier than crawling.

That'll learn 'im.

Last edited by M'Sharak; June 4 2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: This merged triple post brought to you by the makers of MULTI-QUOTE
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote