Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 4 2013, 01:51 AM   #466
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Unless there's money riding on it, I don't understand why the size of the ship is a big deal.
Old June 4 2013, 01:56 AM   #467
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Opus wrote: View Post
TOS Enterprise was WAY TOO SMALL!!!!
Too small for what ? I don't mind either size, myself. The old one worked. No one ever complained about it. They wanted the new one to be larger. Fine with me.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:11 AM   #468
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Because I'm not the one saying there is more than one deck visible there.
No, you're the one arguing that the size of the ship as quoted by the designers and backed up by visual evidence in the film is wrong, and you've done it without providing a shred of evidence of your own.

So, why don't you add the above to your pictorial evidence showing the two or three decks visible in the hull breach.
Add what? You can plainly see the alternating light and dark rings around the saucer edge that represent the decks in the picture I already provided. I'm not arguing that there are three to four decks in that hull breach exclusively, I'm arguing that there are at least four and probably five decks on the saucer rim.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:03 AM   #469
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You can plainly see the alternating light and dark rings around the saucer edge that represent the decks in the picture I already provided.
Oh, I see them now:

I'm not arguing that there are three to four decks in that hull breach exclusively, I'm arguing that there are at least four and probably five decks on the saucer rim.
The hull breach takes up half the thickness of the saucer rim, and there is one deck visible. Ergo, the other half of the saucer rim is made up of either another deck, or four other decks staffed by munchkins and Keenser's family.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:38 AM   #470
Opus
Commodore

Belz... wrote: View Post
TOS Enterprise was WAY TOO SMALL!!!!
Too small for what ? I don't mind either size, myself. The old one worked. No one ever complained about it. They wanted the new one to be larger. Fine with me.
Now that I see the difference with the new movie, TOS Enterprise
is equivalent to an old German u-boat. It's a tin can in outer space. They had no right going out into deep space in such a tiny ship.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:41 AM   #471
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Gonzo wrote: View Post
Even though it is as big as the Enterprise D
Not by half, actually. It's actually much closer to the Enterprise-C, but in terms of actual volume it's only about 60% the size of the Enterprise-D.

Which makes me think the areas around the outer edge of the dish are communal/recreational or possibly even some kind of hot bunking areas for the junior crew whereas on the Enterprise D they are individual and spacious cabins.
I don't know about "hot bunking" but the X-box game depicted crew quarters as spacious multi-level communal living areas reminiscent of college dormitories with a large public space in the middle.
Old June 4 2013, 05:53 AM   #472
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Why doesn't someone use their Photoshop prowess and show me where there are two decks, or a balcony, or a movie theatre, or whatever else people see in that picture.
"Why doesn't someone do all the work for me... again, so I can ignore and keep right on saying the same thing... again."
Because I'm not the one saying there is more than one deck visible there.
What difference would that make, unless you think the saucer section only has one deck?

So, why don't you add the above to your pictorial evidence showing the two or three decks visible in the hull breach.
Because the breach shows one CORRIDOR with sufficient space above and below it for additional deck space. Why it doesn't show additional CORRIDORS above and below is anyone's guess.

Although, I disagree with Locutus in that five decks seems a bit much. Especially based on the bottom image, I think it works better with FOUR decks, with #1 and #5 filling those "half decks" and #2 and #4 squeezing out #3. That seems consistent with what we're seeing in the top image: the exposed corridor is on Deck Two, and there's room for two additional corridors in the saucer beneath it (one at the lower row of windows, one directly under that).
Old June 4 2013, 09:46 AM   #473
Gonzo
Lieutenant

I have had a closer look and it may in fact be 2 floors, I have used the top picture you posted Locutusofbored and I have added highlights to show the floors (amateurish using paint I know).

I should have made the writing bigger as well but you get the idea. If you save it to PC and then zoom in you can see it clearly.

Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:19 AM   #474
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Now that I see the difference with the new movie, TOS Enterprise
is equivalent to an old German u-boat. It's a tin can in outer space. They had no right going out into deep space in such a tiny ship.
The thing was three hundred meters long, man. People don't seem to grasp how huge that is in terms of volume.

The hull breach takes up half the thickness of the saucer rim, and there is one deck visible.
I'm sorry but that is false. First, the picture's very dark, but that is not half the thickness, there.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 4 2013, 05:18 PM   #475
WarpFactorZ
Captain

I have had a closer look and it may in fact be 2 floors, I have used the top picture you posted Locutusofbored and I have added highlights to show the floors (amateurish using paint I know).

Nope. The corridors are not the same height as the windows. In fact, if you look through the windows, you can see only one of the three rows of "rectangle" patterns on the walls. Your red arrow is also pointing at what I assume you think is a floor, but it isn't.
Old June 4 2013, 06:02 PM   #476
Gonzo
Lieutenant

Nope. The corridors are not the same height as the windows. In fact, if you look through the windows, you can see only one of the three rows of "rectangle" patterns on the walls. Your red arrow is also pointing at what I assume you think is a floor, but it isn't.

I don't mind if you agree or not WarpfactorZ, it looks like whats left of a floor to me and it is in line with the idea of 4 floors in the saucer rim as many here have shown.

The area exposed by the damage is far too large (height) an area to be just one floor, whether you like it or not.
Old June 4 2013, 06:11 PM   #477
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The point is that almost all the evidence points to a larger ship, WarpFactorZ. Do you deny that the shuttlebay we see in both movies is way too large for a 300m ship ?

Old June 4 2013, 06:11 PM   #478
WarpFactorZ
Captain

I don't mind if you agree or not WarpfactorZ, it looks like whats left of a floor to me and it is in line with the idea of 4 floors in the saucer rim as many here have shown.

The area exposed by the damage is far too large (height) an area to be just one floor, whether you like it or not.
You can clearly see a single corridor through that hole. The three rows of rectangles along the circular wall is unmistakable, and as the ship pans by in the film, it is plain as day. I don't know what else to tell you.

In fact, someone show me where it is conclusively established that there are four or five decks along the saucer rim. 'Cause I don't think it ever was. Everyone is attacking me because I refuse to believe this, but in reality the deck plan of the Enterprise you're defending isn't canon.

Last edited by WarpFactorZ; June 4 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old June 4 2013, 06:17 PM   #479
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Gonzo, you are, of course, right.

What we see in those pictures is probably no different than this: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0549.jpg
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:29 PM   #480
Gonzo
Lieutenant

You can clearly see a single corridor through that hole. The three rows of rectangles in the circular hall is unmistakable, and as the ship pans by in the film, it is plain as day. I don't know what else to tell you.
I know you have latched onto the 1 or 2 levels in the saucer rim to back up your idea that the ship is still only 300m long or so, we saw in the promotional media before the first films release that there are more than that.

At the end of the day I would have been fine if the ship had been the same size as the TOS version but it clearly is not, I don't know what else to tell you.