Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 23 2013, 11:20 AM   #631
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise

R. Star wrote: View Post
It would be terrible if S/U Fan missed the gems that are Code of Honor or Angel One.
Oh, I saw Code of Honor, but I don't know about Angel One. The one that I keep getting stuck on is the one where Lwanxana comes to visit Troi and there's this cheesy silver box that starts talking. Twice now, that's where I turn it off. I don't know why but I just couldn't do it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:55 AM   #632
lurok
Commodore

I find TNG hard-going (bar a few episodes) but I'll read along if you do a rewatch
Old May 23 2013, 12:32 PM   #633
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I think what I'll do is try to ride out season 1. If that works out, then I'll do a season 2 thread. If it really is too much, then I'll take a good break and do another show. It doesn't have to be Star Trek.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old June 3 2013, 05:02 AM   #634
JoeD80
Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The one that I keep getting stuck on is the one where Lwanxana comes to visit Troi and there's this cheesy silver box that starts talking. Twice now, that's where I turn it off. I don't know why but I just couldn't do it.
That one's "Haven"
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:11 AM   #635
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I don't even remember that. I do love Lwaxana on DS9. I really need to do a refresh of TNG some year.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:10 AM   #636
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I just started watching ENT today while at my office to take a break from my TNG rewatch. Other than its theme song (sorry, it just feels weird because it is so different from others....) I am liking it. Its refreshing to see Starfleet so new...and so unaccomstomed to basic futuristic ideas we've come to know as the norm in Trek. I am really intrigued by it and think I will try watching this series in its entirety before doing my TNG rewatch.
Old June 4 2013, 01:16 AM   #637
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

EXCELLENT!!

Hope you start a thread

Seasons 3 and 4 are particularly great.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:26 AM   #638
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Sure. I'm on my phone now so hard to start a thread cause its hard to type, but I think I will start a thread once I get back on my computer.

I really like the large Vulcan presence and the fact that humans barely know what's OUT there yet. I especially like in the first episode where the transporter is referred as new technology that isn't fit for human transport yet.
Old June 4 2013, 12:43 PM   #639
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

Fantastic! Would love to read your impressions.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:10 PM   #640
BruntFCA
Commander

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Other than its theme song (sorry, it just feels weird because it is so different from others....)
Don't worry you'll find that even most die-hard ENT fans hate the theme song, there's a new thread about how bad it is every couple of weeks.
Old June 4 2013, 05:25 PM   #641
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Watched the first 5 episodes and am now used to the theme. No longer bugs me!
Old June 4 2013, 06:59 PM   #642
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'm one of the few that apparently never minded the Enterprise theme. The show had enough going against it without focusing on the minutiae.
Old June 4 2013, 08:09 PM   #643
apollo1984
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I for one always thought the theme suited the show since is basically th whole how was about humans aspring to be the best they can and reaching for their goals.
apollo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:20 PM   #644
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The one that I keep getting stuck on is the one where Lwanxana comes to visit Troi and there's this cheesy silver box that starts talking. Twice now, that's where I turn it off. I don't know why but I just couldn't do it.
That one's "Haven"
Yeah, you're right. I'm going to get back to it and try to watch that episode again. It helps me to know that when there was a vote here a while back that S1 of TNG won the title of worst trek season ever. So far, I won't disagree, but at least I know it gets better. Thanks.

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't even remember that. I do love Lwaxana on DS9. I really need to do a refresh of TNG some year.
As do I. I think she's great.

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Sure. I'm on my phone now so hard to start a thread cause its hard to type, but I think I will start a thread once I get back on my computer.

I really like the large Vulcan presence and the fact that humans barely know what's OUT there yet. I especially like in the first episode where the transporter is referred as new technology that isn't fit for human transport yet.
Cool. I hope you enjoy yourself. Overall, I don't think it is bad like some people say, but it does have its issues. My main problem was the captain, but I look forward to seeing what you think of him and the rest of the crew.

Old June 5 2013, 02:15 AM   #645
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

apollo1984 wrote: View Post
I for one always thought the theme suited the show since is basically th whole how was about humans aspring to be the best they can and reaching for their goals.
I will not argue with that! The lyrics fit perfectly.

It's just a feeling of general surprise when you hear it the first few times I suppose (keep in mind though that I watched VOY and DS9 straight through all 14 seasons in a row so I got used to the orchestral themes).

Now I've grown to like the ENT theme and it only took a few episodes. It did not take very long to get used to it.

I REALLY like the fact that they used 20th century "space feat" imagery and iconic photos and videos in the intro. That whole intro makes it feel as though it is within our grasp...like the advancements the crew makes on the show are really not too too far away from us.

I watched a few more episodes today. I really like how much more "close to home" it feels as opposed to the shows set in the 24th century. It did make me feel rather sad, however...a feeling that I was born a bit too early...because I really do think that one day interstellar travel will be possible, but obviously not in my lifetime.

One criticism I have is the lack of structure and protocol they seem to have at this stage in Starfleet development, which it is clear that the Vulcans have been trying to get them to create. And although I enjoy the tension between T'Pol and the rest of the crew...some crew members (namely Trip) do act pretty ignorant towards Vulcans in general which I find odd considering the fact that their whole mission is about finding new worlds and cultures. I would think they would try to be more tolerant.

I made a mini pro/con list to simplify my thoughts on the show so far.

Pros:
-They actually address inter-species translation issues! Although at times inconsistent.
-Crew is pretty realistic....they are not perfect and don't pretend to be.
-They show a somewhat realistic possibility of the future in terms of demonstrating the interaction between two species working together. One day when (not if!) humans come into contact with a more advanced species capable of space travel, I hope they are as helpful as the Vulcans are on Star Trek...for example, without T'Pol's knowledge they would have been in some deep trouble several times. The animosity humans feel towards Vulcans and vice versa is also a probable outcome if we ever do become involved with an alien race that has more experience and logic, in the case of Vulcans.
-This show made me feel excited again for what future prospects might hold for space travel because the time and setting is not as far into the future as other Trek.
- As always (except maybe TNG) the doctor is great. Dr. Phlox might make spot 2 or 3 on my fave Trek Docs list. Obviously the EMH takes my number 1 spot. Dr. Phlox is one weird dude...I'm curious about his character.

Cons:
-Lack of protocol and structure (although this is clearly intentional to show the evolution of Starfleet)
-Archer is cool....I like him, but he seems to lack a great deal of scientific knowledge compared to other captains. I understand his father was involved with the invention of their warp drive and so he was made captain...but is that what an organization of that magnitude would really do? I would think they would prefer to pick the most competent person and not the most adventurous one or because of nepotism.
-The bigotry Trip evokes on T'Pol. Reminds me of how the U.S. acted (and still acts) towards other cultures. However, I do realize that all of the ignorance between the species demonstrates the comparison between how different Earth cultures acted towards each other before a global economy and showing that interacting with other species may not be so different.
-Have to say it....theme doesn't match other Trek! But I like it now anyway.

Overall I really am enjoying it though. I am curious as to how T'Pol's relationship with the crew will evolve.