RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,153
Posts: 5,344,006
Members: 24,599
Currently online: 680
Newest member: brollium

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 2 2013, 12:05 PM   #271
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
@seven14 Thanks for the wonderful video. I feel better about them now. I started to wonder why I haven't seen them do anything like that for America, but then I figure the Triumvirate Lobby blocked it. Thank God for the U.K.
You're very welcome Spock/Uhura Fan!!

Zachary is very warm and he always seems to put both Chris and Zoe in a more fun and calm mood ( I think in real life they are all quite reserved but Zachary seems to have a more naturally relaxed attitude towards press then Chris & Zoe.)

If I hadn't seen any of the photos of Zach/Zoe at the Berlin/London premieres and photo-calls and this JR interview in particular then I definitely would have come out of the movie more sadder than I actually did and I was very very low when I came out of STID the 1st time around. It's only actually after I came to this thread and was told that there are things I couldn't see in 2D that I began to feel better about my wonderful Spock and Uhura.

Now Malaika has provided us with these comics, pictures, and that beautiful gif I really can't wait until the DVD comes out.

I do still firmly feel though that Spock and Uhura have been together for long enough and have been in a sexual relationship that Spock as half Vulcan and more importantly raised and educated as VULCAN would know exactly why Uhura was so upset and he wouldn't have let it get to the point where she was reduced to not speaking to him. The look he gives her when she comes out of the turbo lift of pure confusion (to me) was just so wrong. It worked for me for the joke with Kirk but it was just wrong for Uhura and Spock.

Once again this is why I think a domestic scene (they are the resident long-term couple after-all) with Spock & Uhura was what was needed in this movie. The scene - Uhura was pissed when they got back to her quarters---she didn't want to talk about it---Spock wanted her to be open about her feelings---concerned something was upsetting her (he knows but he is stubbornly thinking his actions were right) she relents and begins to speak---he interrupts---she blows up---he tells her she doesn't understand---then they leave it like that and hence we have the no speaking---then after the beautiful speech in the shuttle they are back on board---they get back to quarters to change ---she stops by his to tell him she understands and he asks if they can mind meld--something I think they have done a few times in the past...she agrees and he lets her see what he saw or lets her feel how he was feeling and they share that amazing kiss and they HUG---end scene.

In movie terms this would not have taken that many minutes once a skilled writer wrote it up and a skilled editor edited it down to size LOL but it's not my movie and it's not my script so I have to get my kicks from my head-canon and from fan fiction
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:13 PM   #272
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Hembie wrote: View Post
I'm so glad to see this discussion. I felt much like the earlier poster that STID was a better film but I left the theatre feeling a little cold because the Spock/Uhura relationship seemed to have distanced itself. But after the wonderful chat on this thread. I'll be seeing it tonight in 3D in a new light. I'll be checking for hand holding and whatnot.
How are you feeling now about the S/U scenes now @Hembie? (I've bolded and underlined that sentence in your original post as this was exactly how I felt after my 1st viewing) have you had a chance to see the movie more than once or in 3D as you wished? Were you able to see the hand-holding in 3D because we don't have the movie in IMAX in my area and I wasnt able to see it in 3D as I planned earlier.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:20 PM   #273
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

indranee wrote: View Post
Okay I'm reading this thread and what you all are writing.... will think about it while I watch it again this weekend... we shall see if it tempers my growing reservations for S/U.
Hello @indranee have you had a chance to see the movie again as well? I saw a few posts where you've mentioned writing your review- will you post here? I can't wait to read it.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:08 PM   #274
Hembie
Commander
 
Location: Canada
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

seven14 wrote: View Post
How are you feeling now about the S/U scenes now @Hembie? (I've bolded and underlined that sentence in your original post as this was exactly how I felt after my 1st viewing) have you had a chance to see the movie more than once or in 3D as you wished? Were you able to see the hand-holding in 3D because we don't have the movie in IMAX in my area and I wasnt able to see it in 3D as I planned earlier.

I'm feeling much better. There were a couple of scenes of handholding in the backround (as noted upthread) and longing looks. I also noticed more on the second viewing that Spock voice waivers noticibly in the shuttle scene. He actually sounds upset.

It was all just odd editing. Like the relationship was all there in the movie but the director chose to use different angled shots. At the very least I'm convinced that TPTB are committed to continuing the relationship, but there is not question the focus was so much more intense in the first movie.

All will be forgiven if they can show more love in the third. And who knows what we'll get in the deleted scenes.
__________________
My dear Doctor, they're all true...
Even the lies?
Especially the lies.
Hembie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:32 PM   #275
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

@seven14

I feel better about the actors' motivation after watching that UK late show vid, but I still feel the same way about the movie. Even if there are a few hand touches or looks or whatever in this film, that doesn't change the fact that their relationship was still handled poorly. The writing didn't do it justice and neither did the filming/editing for the most part.

For the loss of Vulcan, Spock's mother, and his story to be such a big part of the last film, it felt like they just glazed over it in this one. The obviously had other goals, though. It has to be hard to build on what you did in the last film when you are trying to borrow from The Dark Knight, provide nonstop action for the sake of action, and recreate TWOK.

I truly hope they follow up on Spock/Uhura in the next film in a more believable and adult way. It would be great if they could make that film as though this one didn't really happen. Considering the fact that it should start off with their 5 year mission, I don't think that should be much of a problem.

Hembie wrote: View Post
All will be forgiven if they can show more love in the third.
Yeah, more love and growth would be nice between the 2. They should be working on a loving harmony as a couple, imo.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:45 AM   #276
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Hembie wrote: View Post
seven14 wrote: View Post
How are you feeling now about the S/U scenes now @Hembie? (I've bolded and underlined that sentence in your original post as this was exactly how I felt after my 1st viewing) have you had a chance to see the movie more than once or in 3D as you wished? Were you able to see the hand-holding in 3D because we don't have the movie in IMAX in my area and I wasnt able to see it in 3D as I planned earlier.

I'm feeling much better. There were a couple of scenes of handholding in the backround (as noted upthread) and longing looks. I also noticed more on the second viewing that Spock voice waivers noticibly in the shuttle scene. He actually sounds upset.

It was all just odd editing. Like the relationship was all there in the movie but the director chose to use different angled shots. At the very least I'm convinced that TPTB are committed to continuing the relationship, but there is not question the focus was so much more intense in the first movie.

All will be forgiven if they can show more love in the third. And who knows what we'll get in the deleted scenes.
@Hembie, I'm with you as well in that I too feel much after the 2nd viewing...although my uplift came from finding or re-finding this thread so I could blubber all my feelings out and then having @Malaika post and put me to rights about Spock and Uhura's physical interactions that I just did not see.

I was thinking that I wasn't even going to buy the DVD, as I was so upset with JJ (direction of Zach) -I would eat up any behind the scene moments with all the cast, but I would have had a fit if there were deleted scenes of S/U being loving and warm with one another that some power that be thought should be better left on the cutting room floor.

Once I knew the interactions were there it helped me appreciate them the 2nd time around---I didn't cross my eyes when I saw Spock run to Uhura and stand there like a stiff because I knew now they really are holding hands under the camera range or better seen, as you say, from a different angle.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:44 AM   #277
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
@seven14

I feel better about the actors' motivation after watching that UK late show vid, but I still feel the same way about the movie. Even if there are a few hand touches or looks or whatever in this film, that doesn't change the fact that their relationship was still handled poorly. The writing didn't do it justice and neither did the filming/editing for the most part.

For the loss of Vulcan, Spock's mother, and his story to be such a big part of the last film, it felt like they just glazed over it in this one. The obviously had other goals, though. It has to be hard to build on what you did in the last film when you are trying to borrow from The Dark Knight, provide nonstop action for the sake of action, and recreate TWOK.

I truly hope they follow up on Spock/Uhura in the next film in a more believable and adult way. It would be great if they could make that film as though this one didn't really happen. Considering the fact that it should start off with their 5 year mission, I don't think that should be much of a problem.
@Spock/Uhura Fan I'm glad @Malaika was able to provide you some relief as well. We all love Zachary so much and to think maybe his and Zoe's friendship had possibly cooled or maybe they didn't want to further the character's romantic relationship would be devastating for me. I, of course, don't know if your feelings were that dramatic LOL...but I am very happy to hear in that respect you are feeling much better.

Believe me, I am so right there with you as far as the relationship not being handled properly.

There was a scene that had no drama for me (I've still not seen the Dark Knight so have to reach back to one of my favorites) and that was," will the shuttle craft make it or will it not through the narrow crevice..." well, it was very dramatic and great when I saw it the first time in The Matrix Revolutions (Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith) and her ship squeezing through that crack and everyone breathing a huge sigh of relief after she made it - even herself a bit ) There were a few instances of deja vu which I thought aw, not original. Perhaps that move was done in an even earlier movie I don't know but definitely it wasn't new in STID.

Ok, regardless of all that, the speech in the shuttle was done very well and I was happy Spock said Nyota's name and had his head turned in her direction. I didn't appreciate this the 1st time around as I thought Spock's voice was too harsh knowing as I thought he should that Uhura was feeling very upset about them and his actions that she didn't agree with. Really, by this point in the movie, I was having all kinds of issues with Spock/Zach and direction but same as @Hembie this time around, I could actually hear the emotion and I got what he was saying to her and to Kirk.

I would have like relationship in this 2nd movie and action, adventure, and fun (yes this is Star Trek) for the 3rd film and the 5yr mission....but since TPTB got it wrong this time around..then yes, 3rd film I will be expecting the mature, loving, interesting relationship I know Spock and Uhura have!!
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:18 AM   #278
jjabrams
Cadet
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I HATE the relationship!!

First, in the federation it is against regulation to have a relationship with a person you supervise - EXACTLY the reason why Spock was sending Uhura to the Farragut. Then to have her blackmail her way onto the ship cheapens BOTH of them. And, had that actually happened, Spock would have immediately ended the relationship it would only be logical.

Relationships are not prohibited on a Star ship - a Spock / Chapel relationship is OK as he is not her direct supervisor.

And of course the line "have I not demonstrated exceptional oral sensitivity" sickens me. It turns Uhura into not much more than a prostitute who is sleeping her way to the top - instead of the reality that was presented in TOS that she was the best damn communications officer in the fleet. It so saddens me that Nichols worked so hard to portray Uhura as both an intelligent black woman - to have jj Abrams movies reverse all of that makes me very sad.
jjabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:30 AM   #279
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

So if you speak Klingon AND you give good head the head cancels out the Klingon?

This seems unfair.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:38 AM   #280
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

jjabrams wrote: View Post
I HATE the relationship!!

First, in the federation it is against regulation to have a relationship with a person you supervise - EXACTLY the reason why Spock was sending Uhura to the Farragut. Then to have her blackmail her way onto the ship cheapens BOTH of them. And, had that actually happened, Spock would have immediately ended the relationship it would only be logical.

Relationships are not prohibited on a Star ship - a Spock / Chapel relationship is OK as he is not her direct supervisor.

And of course the line "have I not demonstrated exceptional oral sensitivity" sickens me. It turns Uhura into not much more than a prostitute who is sleeping her way to the top - instead of the reality that was presented in TOS that she was the best damn communications officer in the fleet. It so saddens me that Nichols worked so hard to portray Uhura as both an intelligent black woman - to have jj Abrams movies reverse all of that makes me very sad.
I don't think its illegal in the entire federation to have a relationship with a supervised person.
I'm not certain that Spock ever directly supervised Uhura, no more than he directly supervised Chapel.
Anyway I can imagine doctor/nurses getting into relationships. This sort of thing happens.
Troi and Riker were in some sort of relationship.

I don't think she blackmailed - simply pointed out that she would have got the position based on merit and he had to agree.

Yeh I hate the oral sensitivity and farm animals stuff too. But then again I'm old.

I like that Spock/Uhura are having problems in STID - it would be terribly annoying if they were a power couple all sweetness and light. Then starting to dress alike.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:41 AM   #281
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

jjabrams wrote: View Post
I HATE the relationship!!

First, in the federation it is against regulation to have a relationship with a person you supervise
You might want to rewatch "Balance of Terror" or "The Lights of Zetar" which directly contradict what you're saying.

You're mistakenly applying TNG-era Starfleet rules to a TOS movie.

Oh wait, then there's Riker and Troi, who got married... Worf and Troi before that... Picard and Beverly...

Oh wait, wait! Worf and Dax in DS9, Tom and B'Elanna in Voyager.
And of course the line "have I not demonstrated exceptional oral sensitivity" sickens me. It turns Uhura into not much more than a prostitute who is sleeping her way to the top - instead of the reality that was presented in TOS that she was the best damn communications officer in the fleet. It so saddens me that Nichols worked so hard to portray Uhura as both an intelligent black woman - to have jj Abrams movies reverse all of that makes me very sad.
You mean her unparalleled ability to identify sonic anomalies in subspace transmission tests? What a whore!
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:53 AM   #282
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander
 
Malaika's Avatar
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

@ jjabrams (<-- ironical that someone with this nick posts he/she hates the relationship when the real JJ Abrams loves it instead and they were one of his reasons for directing the first movie )


this is how S/U started dating, from the comics (that Orci oversees)

(Uhura just whoa... this is "how to ask a vulcan out for a date 101" take notes guys )
(eta: this is the first part just in case you want to see "professor Spock" in action: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...tartrek182.htm )

..that was one year prior the battle of vulcan
which means that including the events from the sequel these two are couple since 3 years.


and this is what Orci said about relationships aboard the ship:
"Who is to say that in a futuristic utopia-ish society, workplace romance is a no-no? Perhaps it’s fine and allowed. After all, NASA is already having to deal with the potential sexual health of astronauts as they ponder prolonged space flight. May not be unprofessional at all at Starfleet. That view may simply be a remnant of our puritanical society that Starfleet outgrew."
(though canon has already provided enough examples to support that such relationships aren't forbidden)

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Then starting to dress alike.



eta: it was AURAL sensibility not oral
__________________
Kirk: So her first name's Nyota?
Spock: I have no comment on the matter.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:30 AM   #283
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I also hate the farm animals line. It and the casting of Sarek were the only things I didn't absolutely love with all my heart about 2009. But the oral deal I thought cute.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:42 AM   #284
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Malaika wrote: View Post

eta: it was AURAL sensibility not oral
Yep, nearly one of the oldest double entendre in the book.

At the time in the movie I took it for aural as Uhura had already told Kirk in the bar (I believe) that she was studying communications and then in her bedroom she was excitedly speaking of this Romulan anomaly that she picked up from transmissions...so the scene with Spock and Uhura was the perfect place for the writers to have a "Tee Hee" moment seeing if we, in the audience, could demonstrate any degree of aural sensitivity as well.

It definitely would have been horrible if Uhura had dropped her voice a few octaves...run her hand across Spock's arm and let her fingers linger with his...but in no way was her speech to him suggestive. She strided up to him purposefully...she approached him with confidence, respect, and presented her case clearly and succinctly all of which made him take the personal (their relationship) out of the professional (His decision to assign her to the Farragut).

We all see things differently and there are plenty who do not like this relationship for a myriad of reasons---such is life.

@Malaika you lovely, are always bringing the knowledge!!! Thank you so much...before you I did not know these ST comics existed...and just recently found out about Alan Dean Foster who has been writing Star Trek novels (as well as other novels) for years and years!! I hope you have time to post more links because this is exactly what I want to read the genesis of the relationship and to read the things we don't see in the movies because it's not a S/U movie..."whispering" I only wish it was
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:23 PM   #285
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander
 
Malaika's Avatar
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

seven14 wrote: View Post
It definitely would have been horrible if Uhura had dropped her voice a few octaves...run her hand across Spock's arm and let her fingers linger with his...but in no way was her speech to him suggestive. She strided up to him purposefully...she approached him with confidence, respect, and presented her case clearly and succinctly all of which made him take the personal (their relationship) out of the professional (His decision to assign her to the Farragut).

We all see things differently and there are plenty who do not like this relationship for a myriad of reasons---such is life.

my impression is that she knew she'd get assigned to the enterprise so when she heard "farragut" instead she knew that only one person could have changed it (and why, that had nothing to do with her abilities) and it was Spock that's why she went directly to him (the expression on her face there was priceless. She just knew it was his fault)
how she'd knew it one can ask? I'd assume that each cadet that wanted to get aboard the flagship had to gain a certain amount of credits/achievements.. I mean it's only fair that only the best cadets would get aboard the best ships and them being in the list of the "best" had to be documented by facts and not just the word of their instructors.
well, some of her achievements at the academy were pretty impressive and unique for a cadet
“Did I not receive a gold rating for xenolinguistic skills in all categories, from constructive verbalizations to click, whistle, and atmospheric manipulations of all kinds, giving the Academy first place over Kyoto and MIT at the Oxford Linguistics Invitational?”
- from Alan Dean Foster novelization of the first movie
and Spock didn't even try to deny her logic because her competence or lack of wasn't in question there nor it was his reason for putting her on the Farragut. The reason was to avoid the appearance of favoritism, as he stated himself.
In short because she's his girlfriend he overcompensated but her argument was valid and he quickly corrected the mistake.
It's interesting that in that instance the one ruled by emotion and the one that brought their relationship in the topic was only HIM.

the funniest bit is when in star trek into darkness Uhura is talking with the Klingons and Kirk wants to intervene but Spock is like:
if you interrupt her now, you will not only incur the wrath of the Klingons… but that of Lieutenant Uhura, as well.
he knows better

honestly I think that the fact he trusts her so much and she doesn't take his crap might be a huge factor in why they work as a couple.
The risk when dealing with someone like Spock is that in trying to accept him for who he's (which is good and fundamental to have a relationship of any sort with him) you might end up giving him a "free pass" after another justifying everything with "he's half vulcan" when really he's a person like anyone who can do stupid things too just because he does them not because he's vulcan or human. I think nuUhura has found this balance or at least she's trying to.

@Malaika you lovely, are always bringing the knowledge!!! Thank you so much...before you I did not know these ST comics existed...and just recently found out about Alan Dean Foster who has been writing Star Trek novels (as well as other novels) for years and years!! I hope you have time to post more links because this is exactly what I want to read the genesis of the relationship and to read the things we don't see in the movies because it's not a S/U movie..."whispering" I only wish it was
for the comics I suggest star trek ongoing #18 (that's the comic posted above) while for the novels you can read the Starfleet Academy novel series that also have some of their backstory. I have read them all and liked them.
__________________
Kirk: So her first name's Nyota?
Spock: I have no comment on the matter.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
love story, pairings, spock/uhura, star trek 2009

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.