Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 3 2013, 10:41 PM   #1681
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

It's all skiffy - superheroes, spaceship stuff, vampires and zombies and dragons and time travel. All part of the same continuum.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:10 PM   #1682
Belz...
Fleet Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I'm sure a script like Into Darkness could have been written that had been truly dark, as written, it's nowhere near as dark and mature as the Nolan Batman films from which they were clearly inspired. It's dark colors out of a crayola box, basically.
Aside from Batman Begins, I think that trilogy is way overrated.

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Man of Steel is now tracking 10 million lower than it was just a month ago.
How does that work ? I mean, how do they adjust their projections ?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It's not just that. It wasn't a good movie, at least not by my standards.
I don't think your tastes can be used to explain why the movie isn't performing the way we'd have liked.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:14 PM   #1683
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
How does that work ? I mean, how do they adjust their projections ?
They take tracking polls of the public to determine levels of awareness and interest in upcoming films. Tracking can be way off in predicting openings, though. Plus there are a number of different sources for tracking that leak and they're not always in agreement.
Old June 3 2013, 11:16 PM   #1684
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Flake wrote: View Post
I think it is because of the 'Into Darkness' and a story featuring terrorism, revenge, murder, suicide bombings, grim deaths etc instead of a more 'fun' adventure.
Although I loved STID, it seems too mature for my older grandchildren (7 and 5). Hopefully, the next movie will be more family-friendly.

I am concerned that marketing was too dark for many families in US. YMMV.
Old June 3 2013, 11:34 PM   #1685
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I took my six-year old son and he loved it.
Old June 3 2013, 11:59 PM   #1686
thumbtack
Commodore

Epic was projected to open with 42 million and remain comfortably ahead of STID.

Now You See Me with 31 million.

After Earth with 40 million.

Here's where the others stand, though Out of My Vulcan Mind is right that it's always changing right up until release:

Man of Steel: 110 million

World War Z: 46 million

The Lone Ranger: 49 million

Pacific Rim: 55 million

The Wolverine: 52 million

If there's a break out blockbuster in the remaining summer months, it will probably be something unexpected.
Old June 4 2013, 12:08 AM   #1687
ralph
Captain

Interesting information for you. In Brazil we have the first box office in IMAX premiere. STID so far grossed $ 657,000 in IMAX premiere. The film went on IMAX only 3 days and one session. The official debut will be on june 14th.

Just for you to have an idea, Star Trek grossed $ 1.907 M in Brazil.

source: http://cinema.uol.com.br/noticias/re...pectadores.htm

Last edited by ralph; June 4 2013 at 12:19 AM.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:20 AM   #1688
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

If there's a break out blockbuster in the remaining summer months, it will probably be something unexpected.
The three biggest blockbusters for the rest of the summer will probably be entirely expected: Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Despicable Me 2.

The last few summers have delivered five or six films that have gone over $200 million domestic and one or two that have gone over $300 million or $400 million. This summer looks to be no different. In fact it may end up doing better. This May set the best domesic attendance in 10 years even adjusting for inflation.

Tracking for Now You See Me was in the high teens to low 20s, not 31. It exceeded expectations by quite a bit. Latest tracking numbers in the BoxOffice.com forum have Man of Steel staying steady at 125 and The Lone Ranger improving to 65.

Edited to add: since I posted some new tracking numbers now have Man of Steel at 90 and The Lone Ranger at 80 (although whether that's for the 3-day or the long holiday weekend isn't known). World War Z is up to 65.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 4 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:24 AM   #1689
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Some of 'em are sci fi, some of 'em are not. Iron Man, which has a clearly impossible thing (battle armor) is, while Batman, which just sorta has the heightened action movie rules regarding fighting and stuff blowing up, is not.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:01 AM   #1690
thumbtack
Commodore

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The three biggest blockbusters for the rest of the summer will probably be entirely expected: Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Despicable Me 2.

The last few summers have delivered five or six films that have gone over $200 million domestic and one or two that have gone over $300 million or $400 million. This summer looks to be no different. In fact it may end up doing better. This May set the best domesic attendance in 10 years even adjusting for inflation.

Tracking for Now You See Me was in the high teens to low 20s, not 31. It exceeded expectations by quite a bit. Latest tracking numbers in the BoxOffice.com forum have Man of Steel staying steady at 125 and The Lone Ranger improving to 65.

Edited to add: since I posted some new tracking numbers now have Man of Steel at 90 and The Lone Ranger at 80 (although whether that's for the 3-day or the long holiday weekend isn't known). World War Z is up to 65.
I'll watch boxoffice.com, but no way Man of Steel opens that bad. In fact, none of their numbers match the other two sites.
Old June 4 2013, 01:06 AM   #1691
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Those latest tracking numbers are from the source referred to as BTC. I don't know if the studios have influence over the tracking numbers, but it may be a case of Warners playing the expectations game.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 4 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 02:40 AM   #1692
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I think it is because of the 'Into Darkness' and a story featuring terrorism, revenge, murder, suicide bombings, grim deaths etc instead of a more 'fun' adventure.
Although I loved STID, it seems too mature for my older grandchildren (7 and 5). Hopefully, the next movie will be more family-friendly.

I am concerned that marketing was too dark for many families in US. YMMV.
I know where you're coming from. Four years ago, my daughters were freaked out by the bar fight in ST09. Not the stuff they're used to seeing. They were gun-shy about this movie (I mean, hey, into darkness). Keeping my fingers crossed, I promised them that kind of thing wasn't in STID. They both liked it a lot. My youngest wants to see it again when school's out.

The marketing of this movie seemed way off for the kind of story it was. Which is too bad, because it was a darned good movie.

The title of a story, movie, novel, or whatever is the hardest thing to come up with sometimes. I think this movie also may have suffered a bit (at least at first) from the title they settled on. But that said, I certainly can't think of anything else short of "Star Trek II".
Old June 4 2013, 02:45 AM   #1693
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

Hmm this movie was the one that deserved the "Insurrection" title
Old June 4 2013, 02:48 AM   #1694
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Some of 'em are sci fi, some of 'em are not. Iron Man, which has a clearly impossible thing (battle armor) is, while Batman, which just sorta has the heightened action movie rules regarding fighting and stuff blowing up, is not.
Batman's skiffy too.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:43 AM   #1695
mswood
Rear Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post
I think Paramount should think about changing the premiere of the upcoming film. Maybe at the end of the year was more interesting.
One of the biggest factors in a movies performance is what else is it in competition with.

A huge part of a film's performance is causal movie goers, people who aren't anything even close to a fan. And with that large block of viewers, it's all about picking which films are you more interested in.

May 2009 was almost across the board viewed as disappointing. Trek 2009 benefited hugely due to the lack of better (read more audience engaging films). The only film in May outside of Trek that met or exceeded expectations was UP and that was released at the very end of May. By that time Trek had already cleared 200 million, and the rest was bank.

This year, Iron Man got a huge, huge boost due to the almost unprecedented success of Avengers. More people watched Iron Man before Star Trek opened and during its first week in release then Wolverine, Angel's and Demons, and Terminator Salvation in there entire month of May.

People don't have unlimited funds. They will pick certain must see films and a number of films that they like (but on't love).

Compare things to that overseas. With Trek having a staggered release, they can minimize the impact of direct competition, that has helped the film.

Of course that and the fact that there was a four year break between the films certainly didn't help. For example, if Iron Man opened three years after the Avengers versus one year, I have no doubt that Iron Man wouldn't have received such a large bump in viewers.