Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 3 2013, 06:07 PM   #256
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

The Stig wrote: View Post
That's really not at all true, or neither one of them would have signed up at all. I'm sad that Smith is leaving at the end of the year, but he's never given the impression that he "didn't want to be there." The reality is that, as an actor, his earning potential is much higher in the US and he'd be a fool not to try and capitalize on his success in Who. I hope he does well.
I know, I know, and yes, you're right, but it's still how I feel, and hey, sue me, but Matt Smith leaving the show means that I'm no longer excited about the anniversary special.
Old June 3 2013, 06:27 PM   #257
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
That's really not at all true, or neither one of them would have signed up at all. I'm sad that Smith is leaving at the end of the year, but he's never given the impression that he "didn't want to be there." The reality is that, as an actor, his earning potential is much higher in the US and he'd be a fool not to try and capitalize on his success in Who. I hope he does well.
I know, I know, and yes, you're right, but it's still how I feel, and hey, sue me, but Matt Smith leaving the show means that I'm no longer excited about the anniversary special.
I feel the same way. It kind of feels like a dark cloud has moved over the proverbial sunny afternoon picnic. Sometimes there is a downside to serialized television and it's that you get used to seeing the same actor or actors week after week. So when something changes, it can be very unsettling. However, I felt the same way when Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant left the show. I have no doubt who ever follows Matt Smith will be just good if not better.
Old June 3 2013, 07:41 PM   #258
Ghost Bones
Captain

chelly wrote: View Post
I totally agree with the above poster. I was always amazed at how he can make himself look old and weary one moment and then young in the next.
That's just because he's got a weird face. All this old man in a young man's body thing is nonsense. I have yet to see an old man flap around like a cretin the way Smudger mugs it up. Just because he'll occasionally go quiet and have a big weird face does not make an old man.
Old June 3 2013, 07:52 PM   #259
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
...All this old man in a young man's body thing is nonsense. I have yet to see an old man flap around like a cretin... Just because he'll occasionally go quiet and have a big weird face does not make an old man.
Yes, Troughton in a nutshell.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:38 PM   #260
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

New actor for The Doctor could be announced next month

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...ced-next-month

The Twelfth Doctor is expected to first appear on screen at the end of the Christmas special, following the regeneration of Matt Smith’s Doctor.

It would be virtually impossible to keep the identity of the new doctor a secret even if the entire set went into lockdown during filming of the Christmas special, a BBC source told RadioTimes.com.
Moffat potentially staying

A BBC source also moved to squash speculation that showrunner Steven Moffat could also be calling it a day, insisting that he has signed up for at least another year.
Old June 3 2013, 10:16 PM   #261
Ghost Bones
Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post
...All this old man in a young man's body thing is nonsense. I have yet to see an old man flap around like a cretin... Just because he'll occasionally go quiet and have a big weird face does not make an old man.
Matt Smith is Troughton's Doctor if it was done on ITV.
Old June 3 2013, 11:15 PM   #262
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Matt Smith is Troughton's Doctor if it was done on ITV.
You are funny.
And you don't like much, do you?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:22 PM   #263
MacLeod
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
New actor for The Doctor could be announced next month

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...ced-next-month

The Twelfth Doctor is expected to first appear on screen at the end of the Christmas special, following the regeneration of Matt Smith’s Doctor.

It would be virtually impossible to keep the identity of the new doctor a secret even if the entire set went into lockdown during filming of the Christmas special, a BBC source told RadioTimes.com.
Moffat potentially staying

A BBC source also moved to squash speculation that showrunner Steven Moffat could also be calling it a day, insisting that he has signed up for at least another year.

Well now the cat is out of the bag so too speak, media will be camped outside the DW studios to try and catch a glimpse on the next Doctor.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:12 AM   #264
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well now the cat is out of the bag so too speak, media will be camped outside the DW studios to try and catch a glimpse on the next Doctor.
If the role is cast, then, yes, the BBC is best served by announcing it sooner rather than later. Stay in front of the story, don't let the media ferret it out, and don't have a panic reaction like Saturday's announcement that Matt Smith is leaving.

I don't know if Moffat would try to hold the next Doctor announcement until SDCC or not. I can see arguments both for and against.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:16 AM   #265
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

You are funny.
You must be new here.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:16 AM   #266
Starkers
Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post

You are funny.
You must be new here.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:36 AM   #267
MacLeod
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
If the role is cast, then, yes, the BBC is best served by announcing it sooner rather than later. Stay in front of the story, don't let the media ferret it out, and don't have a panic reaction like Saturday's announcement that Matt Smith is leaving.

I don't know if Moffat would try to hold the next Doctor announcement until SDCC or not. I can see arguments both for and against.
Well it would seem rather odd to make the annoucnement outside of the UK. But who knows what will hapen.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:21 AM   #268
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And it takes so much time to explain why the space monster is fouling up history.

In the latest Destiny of the Doctor Audio....

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:44 PM   #269
Konata Izumi
Commander

Before I inevitably analyse the concept of female Doctors...

Moffat's version of Doctor Who in particular, involves heavy sociological topics. He does, however, have a habit of constructing his allegories so overtly subtle as to appear elitist to the, who I'm afraid is only a fraction of viewers, who end up noticing them at all.

Whether you are interested in the current show's sociological side or not, it is undoubtedly a large part of the current show, so I must politely ask everyone here to allow discussion of it on a board with "Doctor Who" in its name, instead of attempting to halt it via social pressure.

The casting of the next lead actor, with it's various aspects involved, seems to be the actual main topic of the thread, so that's what I'd like to be able to discuss in a while, at peace.

I hope my civilisedness isn't causing too much harm.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:52 PM   #270
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

O. . . K.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote