RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,147
Posts: 5,343,600
Members: 24,592
Currently online: 521
Newest member: LaVelle

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 30 2013, 09:52 PM   #46
IndyJones
Vice Admiral
 
IndyJones's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Water Enhancers

I don't see why people are surprised that some people don't want to drink straight water all of the time. Many billions are made yearly on soda and juices, so obviously there's a desire for some variety. And if we could cut a couple hundred calories daily out of everyone's diet this country would be much better off. I don't think anyone's disputing that water without additives is the ideal, but compared to almost everything else? I think these things are fine.
__________________
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 05:33 PM   #47
Sam_I_Am
Captain
 
Sam_I_Am's Avatar
 
Location: Paris XVII, France
View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am
Re: Water Enhancers

The plain water people seem very disdainful of those who like flavour in their water. Having said that, I hate squash, cordial and such: way too sugary and sweet for my liking. Plain water is quenching at times, but gets a bit dull. I prefer teas, and fruit juices.
__________________
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God." ~ George H.W. Bush
Sam_I_Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 05:51 PM   #48
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Water Enhancers

Sam_I_Am wrote: View Post
The plain water people seem very disdainful of those who like flavour in their water. Having said that, I hate squash, cordial and such: way too sugary and sweet for my liking. Plain water is quenching at times, but gets a bit dull. I prefer teas, and fruit juices.
Yeah, I mean, look at all the disdain! Here:
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Plain old water can be boring sometimes. I found it easier to drink more water if it was flavored, and I therefore stayed more hydrated.
This is completely incomprehensible to me, but to each his own, I guess.
Here:
Kestra wrote: View Post
I love water. Plain water with nothing in it tastes delicious and is so refreshing. It doesn't need to be cold or anything either. I grew up on well water so a lot of tap water still tastes a bit weird to me, but it's still good! I can't imagine any flavor additive actually enhancing the taste of water, but if it's not bad for you and it gets you to drink more water, then that's great.
And here:
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ I love plain water myself. I sort of think it has a flavor, but a good one! And, when you're hot and thirsty, it tastes better than anything else!
I've never seen so much disdain!

__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 09:29 PM   #49
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now
 
Zion Ravescene's Avatar
 
Re: Water Enhancers

The best things in life come out of a tap.
__________________
"Everybody has a secret world inside of them..." -- Neil Gaiman
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:58 AM   #50
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Water Enhancers

Water, beer, victory?
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 07:25 AM   #51
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Water Enhancers

IndyJones wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone's disputing that water without additives is the ideal, but compared to almost everything else? I think these things are fine.
I like mine dirty.

__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 07:28 AM   #52
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Water Enhancers

I drink plain water most of the time (tastes good to me!), but once in a while, I'll squirt some lime or lemon juice into the glass to zip it up a bit.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:45 AM   #53
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Water Enhancers

Where I live, the water tastes and smells like chlorine bleach. My doctors told me often that I was not hydrating nearly enough. When Mio came on the market, I tried it. Now, I am well hydrated and happier. Because Mio contains no sugar, it does not affect my diabetes. I like being able to adjust the amount of flavoring in my water versus Crystal Light packets. WalMart and the grocery stores are now carrying generic versions, but IMO they taste like cheap Kool-Aid... yuck.

While I do understand that plain water is preferable, that is not always an option in some areas.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:53 AM   #54
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Water Enhancers

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Where I live, the water tastes and smells like chlorine bleach. My doctors told me often that I was not hydrating nearly enough. When Mio came on the market, I tried it. Now, I am well hydrated and happier. Because Mio contains no sugar, it does not affect my diabetes. I like being able to adjust the amount of flavoring in my water versus Crystal Light packets. WalMart and the grocery stores are now carrying generic versions, but IMO they taste like cheap Kool-Aid... yuck.

While I do understand that plain water is preferable, that is not always an option in some areas.
Mio is very good. My favorite flavor is the Lemonade flavor, though I've also tried Fruit Punch.

Still, I much prefer True Citrus for any kind of water flavoring. They have lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange, and it tastes wonderful. Nothing sweet, just a burst of fruity goodness.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:50 PM   #55
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Water Enhancers

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Where I live, the water tastes and smells like chlorine bleach. My doctors told me often that I was not hydrating nearly enough. When Mio came on the market, I tried it. Now, I am well hydrated and happier. Because Mio contains no sugar, it does not affect my diabetes. I like being able to adjust the amount of flavoring in my water versus Crystal Light packets. WalMart and the grocery stores are now carrying generic versions, but IMO they taste like cheap Kool-Aid... yuck.

While I do understand that plain water is preferable, that is not always an option in some areas.
Mio is very good. My favorite flavor is the Lemonade flavor, though I've also tried Fruit Punch.

Still, I much prefer True Citrus for any kind of water flavoring. They have lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange, and it tastes wonderful. Nothing sweet, just a burst of fruity goodness.
We have True Lemon here, but not the other flavors. I still like Mio because I can adjust the level of flavoring. Lemonade is also my favorite. Second place belongs to Orange-Tangerine. I do not care for the Teas or Fruit Punch, however.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:37 PM   #56
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Water Enhancers

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Wow! I agree completely with IT! That doesn't happen often!
Indeed.

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
These "water enhancers" allow me to do that without adding a bunch of extra sugar or chemicals.
Make no mistake, you are adding chemicals to the water.
On the other hand, someone must mention that water is a chemical, too.
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:48 PM   #57
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Water Enhancers

Oh, nerd jokes.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:39 AM   #58
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Water Enhancers

Meh. That's chemistry. Low-level nerdness.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:00 PM   #59
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Water Enhancers

^Physics Cat.

__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 09:56 PM   #60
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Water Enhancers

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Where I live, the water tastes and smells like chlorine bleach. My doctors told me often that I was not hydrating nearly enough. When Mio came on the market, I tried it. Now, I am well hydrated and happier. Because Mio contains no sugar, it does not affect my diabetes. I like being able to adjust the amount of flavoring in my water versus Crystal Light packets. WalMart and the grocery stores are now carrying generic versions, but IMO they taste like cheap Kool-Aid... yuck.

While I do understand that plain water is preferable, that is not always an option in some areas.
Mio is very good. My favorite flavor is the Lemonade flavor, though I've also tried Fruit Punch.

Still, I much prefer True Citrus for any kind of water flavoring. They have lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange, and it tastes wonderful. Nothing sweet, just a burst of fruity goodness.
We have True Lemon here, but not the other flavors. I still like Mio because I can adjust the level of flavoring. Lemonade is also my favorite. Second place belongs to Orange-Tangerine. I do not care for the Teas or Fruit Punch, however.
I haven't tried the Teas yet. I'm kind of curious, but with me, tea is something you can mess up really easily. I'm also very picjy about my "sweet" teas.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.