Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 3 2013, 09:12 PM   #16
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Generations Concept Uniforms?

I think these would've worked a lot better as uniforms for TNG than Generations, with some tweaks to the collar.
Old June 3 2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Old June 3 2013, 09:27 PM   #18
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I am actually pleased that they didn't use these. As for DS9 uniforms being used on Voyager, when it wasn't a space station, I always figured in my own mind that Starfleet had several uniforms from which to choose, and it was captain's choice which uniform they used on a particular ship or station.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:41 PM   #19
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Pretty much. They were absurdly busy.
Old June 3 2013, 10:06 PM   #20
CelticViking
Ensign

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Pretty much. They were absurdly busy.
Would your Nagel-Minimalist-Avatar give us insight to your design preferences sir?

I kid and tease, as I am a HUGE Nagel fan myself.

Side note, ever seen this image?
CelticViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:46 PM   #21
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

I remember seeing this concept art in a magazine around the time of the films release.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:24 AM   #22
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

GameOn wrote: View Post
I remember seeing this concept art in a magazine around the time of the films release.
I'm happy they didn't use those.
Resembles someone tucking the "skirt" of the TNG dress uniform into their pants and it looks ridiculous.
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:14 PM   #23
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

HOnestly, looking at these drawings, they look similar enough to the uniforms from TNG that I'd have to ask the question "Why bother?" I would guess someone was just trying to find ways to spend their extra budget for the movie.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

I would guess that they were trying to incorporate some of the formal look of the "Monster Maroons" from the TOS movies, so general audiences would take the whole situation a little more seriously than a bunch of space people running around in baggy sweatshirts with raised collars.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:09 PM   #25
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

CelticViking wrote: View Post

Side note, ever seen this image?
Pretty cool. Have you seen this guy?
Old June 5 2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Dukhat
Commodore

Andymator wrote: View Post
Well, I for one agree with their decision. I get what they were going for with the new design, but it seriously didn't work out. They just look kind of stupid. I don't blame them for taking one look at the dailies and nixing them.
I didn't say that I liked them, just that they should have used them since they paid for them. I think they look stupid too.

The Deep Space Nine uniforms had never been delineated as space station uniforms. In fact, we saw multiple space stations using the regular TNG style.
But the only space station personnel we saw were on TNG, before DS9 started production. It's obvious that the change in uniform design for DS9 was to delineate a station uniform as opposed to a ship uniform at that time. And I believe the uniforms were referred to as station uniforms in the ST Encyclopedia.
Old June 5 2013, 08:08 PM   #27
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post

I didn't say that I liked them, just that they should have used them since they paid for them. I think they look stupid too.
Well, all I can say is that I completely disagree with this sentiment. I'm happy they did the best they could to address the problem instead of just having the movie look crappy.

But the only space station personnel we saw were on TNG, before DS9 started production.
We saw space station personnel wearing TNG style uniforms in season 6's "Aquiel" after Deep Space Nine began.

It's obvious that the change in uniform design for DS9 was to delineate a station uniform as opposed to a ship uniform at that time. And I believe the uniforms were referred to as station uniforms in the ST Encyclopedia.
It's not obvious at all. In fact the only evidence that points to that conclusion is the fact that we don't see them in use on starships until "Generations".

We also don't see them in use anywhere else until "Generations" except deep space nine, but it would be silly to think that following that logic they must only be in use on deep space nine and nowhere else.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 01:13 AM   #28
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

They were probably just a new design that was being phased in. As DS9 was a spanking-new Starfleet acquisition, they got started with the new uniforms. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 01:26 AM   #29
Galactic Alignment
Commander

I like the idea of having different (but similar) uniforms for the cast of separate TV series - the darker jumpsuits in DS9 to distinguish the series from TNG when both were still on-air simultaneously, with the intention of having a different uniform (the abandoned GEN concept uniforms) in what became Voyager when that launched. Perfectly sound plan, there, and would've worked had the costume designers come up with a non-rubbish uniform for Generations.

Edit: could've been worse though, they could've used the All Good Things uniforms for GEN and VOY...

Last edited by Galactic Alignment; June 6 2013 at 01:50 AM.
Galactic Alignment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 03:05 AM   #30
Third Nacelle
Captain

^I love the AGT uniform. It's pretty close to being my favorite Starfleet unform!
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote