Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 3 2013, 01:13 AM   #6196
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I discovered the TV Batman and comics about the same time. Loved the show as a kid. The only problem with it is how it often skews peoples perception of comics.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 02:12 AM   #6197
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
They say that truth hurts. Sometimes it's just funny as hell.
Yeah, let's not just insult posters; let's drag everyone they've ever been out with as well. Should we insult their mothers next?
Come to TNZ.

You know, you're looking really hard to be offended if you think that suggesting someone isn't as attractive as professional actors tend to be is an "insult." It's a pretty reasonable observation if you've spent any time at all around TV and movie actors. Even the folks you might think of as average-looking, "character" types have personal magnetism to spare.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 02:43 AM   #6198
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Not to mention during the flying sequences with Lois in "Superman: The Movie" Reeve is laughing and delighted at Lois's reactions to flying with him. So yeah I disagree as well that he didn't have fun in the role. Routh was playing a different kind of Superman, one trying to rediscover himself in a world that he had abandoned. So there weren't too many chances for him to have fun in.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:03 AM   #6199
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Heck, he even let her fall for a while just for kicks....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:26 AM   #6200
davejames
Vice Admiral

Samaritan wrote: View Post
I was looking and didn't see it. If it has been posted already, sorry. I am so excited!

MAN OF STEEL - Extended Featurette (2013)

Just too awesome!
Really loving the design work on the Kryptonian costumes. And judging from that shot of Jor-el putting on armor, it looks like Superman might actually be wearing his father's suit, which I actually think would be a cool idea.

Also thought this early screening review was pretty encouraging (assuming it's real):
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/superm.../news/?a=80625
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:41 AM   #6201
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^That review sounds very encouraging...and has a ring of authenticity to it.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:25 AM   #6202
JD
Admiral

All of this talk about The Artist has convinced me to finally watch it. I've been curious about it ever since I saw the reactions it go when it was in theaters, but I never got a chance. I honestly thought it was great when I heard that it was silent. I love it when people take a chance and do something different. The fact that someone said it was the done by the same guy who the most recent OSS117 movie has been pretty confident because I really liked those?

Kirk55555 have you ever even tried any silent movies? If not you should seriously check out Metropolis, it's a great sci-fi movie with some impressive visual effects and a good story.

I used to be like you, but then I actually tried some foreign movies and indie movies, and I now really like them. You really don't need big budget effect or big actions scenes to make a good movie. All you need is a good story, and some talented people to bring that story to life.
Old June 3 2013, 06:31 AM   #6203
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Wow, that's a very encouraging read. But of course, so far everything I've read about the film sounds great. I cannot wait for it to come out.
Old June 3 2013, 10:08 AM   #6204
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
You know, you're looking really hard to be offended if you think that suggesting someone isn't as attractive as professional actors tend to be is an "insult." It's a pretty reasonable observation if you've spent any time at all around TV and movie actors. Even the folks you might think of as average-looking, "character" types have personal magnetism to spare.
This is true. For example, I went to see a play with Kenneth Branagh last year. On tv and films, I'd always thought he was a good actor but not necessarily the most charismatic type. But when he walks onto a stage, he OWNS it. Totally fills the room. My wife and a few female acquaintances and friends who saw the play were all of the view that they'd never found him attractive onscreen but WOW, in person, different story....
Old June 3 2013, 01:25 PM   #6205
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
If the movie does suck, and I am hopeful that it won't, the question in my mind is; how many of you folks will be willing to say so, here -- especially with old Kirk55555 ready to bring the, "I told you so" cannons online?
I would be willing to say so. When Nolan was first announced as a producer on this film, I was very curious to see how it would turn out. When Snyder was announced as the director, I lost all interest; of his previous films that I've seen, I haven't liked any of them. When the first trailer came out, my interest was ignited again and made me start thinking that my concerns over Snyder might be unfounded.

At this point, I'm pretty solidly looking forward to the film, but if it ends up disappointing me it won't be difficult to admit (though I will be sad that it did so).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:03 PM   #6206
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I really looked forward to Star Trek into darkness but didn't like the film - so I can't see this being any different. Looking forward to something isn't the same as uncritically accepting it once you have the full finished product to think about.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:41 PM   #6207
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I really looked forward to Star Trek into darkness but didn't like the film - so I can't see this being any different. Looking forward to something isn't the same as uncritically accepting it once you have the full finished product to think about.
This and this again.
I'm more than happy to say that it sucks if it sucks. But, I don't think it's going to suck. Of course, I thought that way about Star Trek Into Darkness and Skyfall before I saw them... so...
Old June 3 2013, 06:14 PM   #6208
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Dare I admit that the Universal Monster buff in me was really looking forward to Van Helsing?

Alas, that didn't pan out so well . . .
Old June 3 2013, 07:37 PM   #6209
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post

Kirk55555 have you ever even tried any silent movies? If not you should seriously check out Metropolis, it's a great sci-fi movie with some impressive visual effects and a good story.

I used to be like you, but then I actually tried some foreign movies and indie movies, and I now really like them. You really don't need big budget effect or big actions scenes to make a good movie. All you need is a good story, and some talented people to bring that story to life.
I don't neccessarily need big budgets or anything, i just have certain types of films I like. I just can't even consider watching a silent film. Its completely unappealing. I'd lose my mind in the first ten minutes, even if it was a type more appealing than a romance movie like The Artist. Indie movies just aren't for me, either. Whenever I hear of one, it always seems to have some stupid/bizarre story that wouldn't work as a normal movie anyway, which is why its "indie". I've seen a few foreign movies (some horror movies, and one or two random movies) and while I'm willing to watch one if it sounds interesting, its not a type of movie I usually consider watching. My comment about The Artist was not meant to cause any problems, it was just a shot at weird films that win awards. I never thought it would be defended probably more than Man of Steel or that it would start a big thing. I guess I underestimated how many people liked a movie with no dialog in 2013, at least on this site. It never even crossed my mind that anyone would pay any attention to a comment about it.

Gojira wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The Dark Man of Steel Rises just looks bad. Every clip makes it look worse.
That's the problem....you think that is what this movie is going to be...but you're wrong and your hatred of Nolan will not even allow you to see this movie more objectively.

Honestly, I don't even hate Nolan all that much any more, in a general sense. His superhero work is crap and he sucks when it comes to that, but after really liking Memento and Inception, I've been forced to admit that he's not a horrible director/writer/etc, he just can't do superhero movies (and probably any movie with an already established character). In that genre, he's sucked and made the worst movies in the superhero genre ever, even including stuff like Catwoman and Fantastic Four 2.

But, he can make a good movie, just not with superheroes. He's not like JJ abrams, who I do hate in general and wish would just stop ruining my favorite sci Fi. I'd be as open minded about an interesting sounding Nolan film that has nothing to do with superheroes as most people are about movies in general. He can make good non-superhero movies, and he can make bad. I'll never be a fan really, and there was a time where I considered him just like JJ abrams and thought everything he did was something i'd despise, but at this point if its not involving superheroes, I can (and probably will be) open minded about his movies, as long as they don't have a completely ridiculous premise. Man of Steel obviously is a type of nolan movie that is set up for me to hate it, and the trailers and TV spots do nothing but support my idea that it will be horrible. That said, if it actually turned out to be something I liked I'd admit it, but I just don't think there is the slightest chance of that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:16 PM   #6210
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Just curious, how old are you?