Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 3 2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Lieutenant Commander

Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?

Hi there

I am a recent viewer of Who, having caught up over the last year with all the NuWho stories.

I would like to have a go at the Classic Who eras, but am not sure which series to start with.

My favourite NuWho Doctor is David Tennant, closely followed by Chris Eccleston. I don't really like Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor however.

Based on my above taste, which classic Who era would you recommend I start with, and is there any series I should avoid at first?
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:26 AM   #2
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?

Peter Davison's era is the easiest to slide into, I think, and it's a nice mix of old Who and new Who.
Old June 3 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Well, the era of the Third Doctor resembles the new show in that it is set on Earth in then present day (with a twist, though). It also features UNIT heavily.

I think that David Tennant's take on the Doctor drew a lot from Tom Baker's depiction so that era might also be a good start.

That's how far I've watched the old show so far.
Old June 3 2013, 01:51 AM   #4
diankra
Commodore

I'd say start at the beginning of Tom Baker: it all exists in colour and as originally made, so there's no 'picture quality' issues that aren't also there for later stuff, and while his first story isn't one of the greats, you'll quickly hit some of the very best, as his first three seasons (12-14) are widely regarded as one of the most solidly decent runs in the series's history (when DWM did a poll of the first 200 stories back in 2009, 10 of the top 50 stories came from the first 18 Tom Baker stories*).

Last edited by diankra; June 3 2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: *Actually, it was 10 of the top 40!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:32 PM   #5
publiusr
Commodore

I'd also say the Tom Baker years--and there are a lot of them.
With the fifth Doctor you at least had a viewsceen for the Tardis.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

The 80s is my personal favourite, although it depends on taste. I can't stand a lot of 70s Doctor Who, however it is considered the golden age of the show. I'd say late Baker as from the 80s, the continuity all starts to get "closer". The E-space trilogy is where it really starts of although it is pretty bad. Personally, I'd say Go from the Keeper of Traken (Bakers penultimate story) and go on from there. Although what I'd do first is see "the best" of each doctors era (one story each), view them, choose your favourite/s, and then choose which era to follow.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
The 80s is my personal favourite, although it depends on taste. I can't stand a lot of 70s Doctor Who, however it is considered the golden age of the show. I'd say late Baker as from the 80s, the continuity all starts to get "closer". The E-space trilogy is where it really starts of although it is pretty bad. Personally, I'd say Go from the Keeper of Traken (Bakers penultimate story) and go on from there. Although what I'd do first is see "the best" of each doctors era (one story each), view them, choose your favourite/s, and then choose which era to follow.
I would advise the opposite. If you want to sample the Tom Baker era, I would not start with his last season which, while still good, is arguably weaker than the rest of his run. I would start right from the start of his run, keeping in mind that Robot--like many Doctors' first story--is not his strongest.

As for the rest of the 80s era:
  • Peter Davison's era is pretty solid all the way through.
  • Colin Baker's era is not the best. I like Colin's performances, but the stories are not the best.
  • Sylvester McCoy - skip the first season.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Watch an assortment and judge for yourself. The 'classic' collection on Netflix helped a lot with sorting out which Doctors/eras I liked best so I could focus my watching on them.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:58 PM   #9
beamMe
Fleet Captain

As you've seen, it really doesn't matter where you start.

I wouldn't recommend any of the old stories or eras. With exceptions they are pretty hard to watch these days. They are phooooootooooooooon-toooorpeeeeeedooooooooooooo-slow even if not watched back to back.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I usually put them on while Im working and just listen for the most part, glance over every once in a while to see if anything neat is on screen. There usually isn't.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I would advise the opposite. If you want to sample the Tom Baker era, I would not start with his last season which, while still good, is arguably weaker than the rest of his run. I would start right from the start of his run, keeping in mind that Robot--like many Doctors' first story--is not his strongest.

As for the rest of the 80s era:
  • Peter Davison's era is pretty solid all the way through.
  • Colin Baker's era is not the best. I like Colin's performances, but the stories are not the best.
  • Sylvester McCoy - skip the first season.
Never really cared for Bakers early stuff. But that's just me.
[LIST][*]Yeah, Davison has had some awesome stories.[*]Oh no, C. Baker has had some tremendous stories. Yes he's had some stinkers such as Twin Dilemma, Attack of the Cybermen, or Mark of the Rani, but has had some some solid stories too. Vengeance on Varos, The Two Doctors, Revelation of the Daleks, and even Trial of a Timelord had some great momments. [*]Ok, have to agree.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I usually put them on while Im working and just listen for the most part, glance over every once in a while to see if anything neat is on screen. There usually isn't.
I swear you could fall asleep in, for example, that one story where the third Doctor and the still intelligent (before they dumbed her down) Dr. Shaw are in some underground nuclear government facility (could be the Silurian story?) tinkering away in some chemistry lab, wake up three, four episodes later and there they are still in that damned lab.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:03 PM   #13
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:08 AM   #14
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I'd start at the very beginning.

My original intention 22 1/2 years ago was one tape per Doctor. That fell apart very quickly.
Old June 4 2013, 12:12 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

IMO, the Pertwee years are the best of the classic era. They did some really cool shit with Pertwee.