RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,708
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 825
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 3 2013, 05:43 PM   #31
Margaret
Ensign

Re: how many of you realy like the TOS tv show

The best. I grew up watching TOS and still watch it now.
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Cool! I get to be "that guy".

I own all three seasons (Remastered) largely because I love Trek in general and I am a completionist.

I think TOS has a handful of truly amazing episodes that easily stand the test of time, but it's average shows are now bad and it's bad shows aren't even made fun of anymore because it is so played out.

A lot of super cheesy and dated material that just never really connected with me. I enjoy the films II, III, IV, and VI far more than I enjoy the show itself.

But I am one of those heretics who think DS9 was the best show out them all so what do I know? LOL
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:55 PM   #33
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

I love TOS. It does have it's flaws, but having grown up with it, nostalgia always wins out, even with some of the poorer episodes (Yes Spock's Brain, I'm looking at you!).

The first episode I can ever remember watching is The Ultimate Computer, simply because my earliest memory of the show is seeing multiple Enterprises on the screen.
Old June 3 2013, 05:56 PM   #34
Lance
Fleet Captain

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
A lot of super cheesy and dated material that just never really connected with me. I enjoy the films II, III, IV, and VI far more than I enjoy the show itself.
The cheese is all part of the fun. It's like watching the 1960s Batman series. You can either dig the vibe it's going for or not. Something like Spock's Brain has IMO got a rewatchability value that goes beyond whether it's good or bad television in itself.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:59 PM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
I love TOS. It does have it's flaws, but having grown up with it, nostalgia always wins out, even with some of the poorer episodes (Yes Spock's Brain, I'm looking at you!).

The first episode I can ever remember watching is The Ultimate Computer, simply because my earliest memory of the show is seeing multiple Enterprises on the screen.
True nostalgia helps, and it's just not with TV and Film, but music etc...
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:06 PM   #36
Third Nacelle
Captain

TOS has a few really great episodes, a lot of good episodes, a lot of bad episodes, and a handful of episodes that are just unwatchable.

I grew up watching TNG and later DS9, and never really liked TOS as a kid, but as an adult I've learned to appreciate it. I don't know that I could ever love it as much as someone who grew up in that era, but I certainly think it's a hell of a lot better than Voyager or Enterprise.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:20 PM   #37
Shatinator
Commander

Loved it. The best of an of the incarnations.
Old June 3 2013, 07:25 PM   #38
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

It is the best of all of the series, even if not perfect.
Ronald Held is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:40 PM   #39
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I don't like it as much as TNG, but it does have some great stories. I watch episodes on Netflix from time to time .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:50 PM   #40
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Although I didn't watch it properly until rather recently, I do really like it. Even though I'd not actually watched it fully, I knew pretty much everything about it, It's just something you know.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:58 PM   #41
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I love TOS, own the full DVD original and BR Remastered and still end up watching it randomly on TV on the weekends too anyway.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:10 PM   #42
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

please did you all under stand this it is on the same issue
look at number 1 and then 2 and 4.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I love TOS, own the full DVD original and BR Remastered and still end up watching it randomly on TV on the weekends too anyway.
to the people here and there, i want to give you all a big thank you. now here is the next part but you will need to think this one out befor you can answer this.
1. do you know any thing about cad 3D work?
2. how well do you know this ship lay out?
3. would you all keep it as i have it here as nondisclosure agreement?, if so this will help you all out.
4. can work if you all just think it out. question will come after i get at less 7 private message and then i will put my question down here then. it is a good one. see you all real soon with your answers.
this is going to be good for everyone.

Last edited by kennysmith; June 4 2013 at 12:40 AM.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:17 PM   #43
I am not Spock
Commodore

I started with TNG. But now I have come to realise that TOS is the best of the shows. It's more ...fun, and less preachy. And TOS didn't set out to make a 'Star Trek' show, but just good sci fi, like the Twilight Zone. It didn't get bogged down in canon.

I have all 6 shows including TAS, on DVD. And all the movies. But I acknowledge a huge debt of gratitude to TOS. Without it, the others would not exist. My age? 30. I started watching Trek around '94 when I was 12
Old June 3 2013, 10:19 PM   #44
I am not Spock
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
The cheese is all part of the fun. It's like watching the 1960s Batman series. You can either dig the vibe it's going for or not. Something like Spock's Brain has IMO got a rewatchability value that goes beyond whether it's good or bad television in itself.
Yes. Even Spock's Brain is funny. Maybe unintentionally so, but it's part of the charm. Hell, I even get a laugh out of Melvin Belli in a muu muu in 'And The Children Shall Lead'.
Old June 3 2013, 11:33 PM   #45
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Yes. Even Spock's Brain is funny.
Yeah. It's stupid but in a good way. Not like "And the Children Shall Lead", "The Omega Glory" or "The Way to Eden".

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote