Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 3 2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

ralfy wrote: View Post
Given major problems with the story of the recent one, it's best to have no more.
For you, maybe. The box office doesn't seem to agree with you. Plus, what's "major" about a movie's story is often up to interpretation. e.g. Klingon warbirds.
Old June 3 2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Sure we could use another movie just not in the jjverse. Go back to the Prime universe or start with another one divergent enough to tell unique stories not reimaginings..
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:31 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

No justification for the reboot? There's plenty of justification. Why bother making something original, when you can repackage the old item in a slightly different way and sell it again for full price. History has proven that people will buy it up.
Old June 3 2013, 08:32 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Or we could stay in the Abramsverse since the stories are entertaining and the film series is profitable again...
Old June 3 2013, 08:42 PM   #20
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I do. I'd rather have a series, but STiD-like films are also welcome.

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Sure we could use another movie just not in the jjverse. Go back to the Prime universe or start with another one divergent enough to tell unique stories not reimaginings..
And sub-$100m BO!
Old June 3 2013, 08:42 PM   #21
Dukhat
Commodore

ralfy wrote: View Post
Given major problems with the story of the recent one, it's best to have no more.
That's funny, because even with the major story problems with Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon, lo and behold we're getting yet a fourth Transformers movie.

Story issues don't mean shit when a said movie still gets millions of asses in theater seats.
Old June 3 2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Two words..FUCK and YES!
Old June 3 2013, 09:22 PM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Revenge of the Sith is also mainly targeted at the new generation of Star Wars fans who see Episides I, II and III first. Then there are absolutely no problems.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:37 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Revenge of the Sith is also mainly targeted at the new generation of Star Wars fans who see Episides I, II and III first. Then there are absolutely no problems.
Sure there are. The biggest being that Anakin is an incredibly unsympathetic character. From the moment Hayden Christensen walks onto the scene, you could see him falling to the dark side and no one cared.
Old June 3 2013, 10:58 PM   #25
Belz...
Fleet Captain

It gets better in Clone Wars.
Old June 3 2013, 11:02 PM   #26
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

looneyguy1985 wrote: View Post
First of all let me just say that I am saying this as a big big fan of the JJverse. This is in no way a bashing message or JJ raped my star trek rant. Star Trek has had a phenomenal highly successful run that has lasted close to 50 years. It has had numerous rebirths after people had declared Star Trek to be dead. Star Trek (or any property for that matter) can ever truly die as long as it has a fanbase supporting it, reliving it and passing it on to others. That being said, it is quite possible that a story can come to an end and the book is fully closed. To me every story should have a definite end at some point. At the end of the latest film the crew of the enterprise is getting ready to embark on the legendary 5 year mission that started it all. At long last, trek has come full circle and ends where the original began *yes yes i know its a NEW timeline and not designed to perfectly sync up with the other*. I walked out of the theater feeling content and...in a way feeling completely fulfilled. It has quenched my thirst so to speak. I am not saying that I never want to see another Trek movie because I felt this was a bad film, far from it...I just am not left with wanting more, which is a bit odd. I had a similar feeling the first time I saw Star Wars Episode 3 in the theater, I was pleased with what I saw and a part of me was content that there wouldn't be any more movies because the story was nicely tied up. As much of a fan as I am, I really dont want new stories to go on forever and ever. I cant think of a more fitting end to end the star trek saga...at least in the films. I still wouldnt mind seeing a new tv series at some point but as far as Captain Kirk and crew, this seemed like a fitting goodbyes. Sometimes its best to quit while you are ahead. What does anybody else think?
I want one more movie at the very least. I've very much enjoyed the last two movies and want to see what's next for this version of the Enterprise crew.
Old June 3 2013, 11:06 PM   #27
MOSUGOJI
Lieutenant Commander

Personally I'm not into JJ's Star Trek at all so I can do without another movie.
MOSUGOJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yes, I want another movie - several, actually - using these actors and produced and written by these folks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Lance
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sure there are. The biggest being that Anakin is an incredibly unsympathetic character. From the moment Hayden Christensen walks onto the scene, you could see him falling to the dark side and no one cared.
Absolutely. How much more satisfying would it be to have seen a nice guy go bad... than it was to have a petulant rebellious teen stay petulant and rebellious? It's clear we're supposed to associate the innocent kid from the first movie with the teenager from the second and third ones, but this is problematic in itself. There's a natural disconnect, almost as if they're two completely different characters (not helped by everybody else still being played by the same actors - what, does being a Jedi make someone enter puberty quicker?).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:43 PM   #30
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Absolutely. How much more satisfying would it be to have seen a nice guy go bad... than it was to have a petulant rebellious teen stay petulant and rebellious? It's clear we're supposed to associate the innocent kid from the first movie with the teenager from the second and third ones, but this is problematic in itself. There's a natural disconnect, almost as if they're two completely different characters (not helped by everybody else still being played by the same actors - what, does being a Jedi make someone enter puberty quicker?).
Which is true, Anakin's fall would have been much more dramatic had he been older, wiser and gentler, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote