RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,573
Posts: 5,423,455
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 376
Newest member: toaster

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3 2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

ralfy wrote: View Post
Given major problems with the story of the recent one, it's best to have no more.
For you, maybe. The box office doesn't seem to agree with you. Plus, what's "major" about a movie's story is often up to interpretation. e.g. Klingon warbirds.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Sure we could use another movie just not in the jjverse. Go back to the Prime universe or start with another one divergent enough to tell unique stories not reimaginings..
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:31 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

No justification for the reboot? There's plenty of justification. Why bother making something original, when you can repackage the old item in a slightly different way and sell it again for full price. History has proven that people will buy it up.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:32 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Or we could stay in the Abramsverse since the stories are entertaining and the film series is profitable again...
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:42 PM   #20
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

I do. I'd rather have a series, but STiD-like films are also welcome.

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Sure we could use another movie just not in the jjverse. Go back to the Prime universe or start with another one divergent enough to tell unique stories not reimaginings..
And sub-$100m BO!
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:42 PM   #21
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

ralfy wrote: View Post
Given major problems with the story of the recent one, it's best to have no more.
That's funny, because even with the major story problems with Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon, lo and behold we're getting yet a fourth Transformers movie.

Story issues don't mean shit when a said movie still gets millions of asses in theater seats.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Two words..FUCK and YES!
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:22 PM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Revenge of the Sith is also mainly targeted at the new generation of Star Wars fans who see Episides I, II and III first. Then there are absolutely no problems.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:37 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Revenge of the Sith is also mainly targeted at the new generation of Star Wars fans who see Episides I, II and III first. Then there are absolutely no problems.
Sure there are. The biggest being that Anakin is an incredibly unsympathetic character. From the moment Hayden Christensen walks onto the scene, you could see him falling to the dark side and no one cared.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:58 PM   #25
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

It gets better in Clone Wars.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:02 PM   #26
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

looneyguy1985 wrote: View Post
First of all let me just say that I am saying this as a big big fan of the JJverse. This is in no way a bashing message or JJ raped my star trek rant. Star Trek has had a phenomenal highly successful run that has lasted close to 50 years. It has had numerous rebirths after people had declared Star Trek to be dead. Star Trek (or any property for that matter) can ever truly die as long as it has a fanbase supporting it, reliving it and passing it on to others. That being said, it is quite possible that a story can come to an end and the book is fully closed. To me every story should have a definite end at some point. At the end of the latest film the crew of the enterprise is getting ready to embark on the legendary 5 year mission that started it all. At long last, trek has come full circle and ends where the original began *yes yes i know its a NEW timeline and not designed to perfectly sync up with the other*. I walked out of the theater feeling content and...in a way feeling completely fulfilled. It has quenched my thirst so to speak. I am not saying that I never want to see another Trek movie because I felt this was a bad film, far from it...I just am not left with wanting more, which is a bit odd. I had a similar feeling the first time I saw Star Wars Episode 3 in the theater, I was pleased with what I saw and a part of me was content that there wouldn't be any more movies because the story was nicely tied up. As much of a fan as I am, I really dont want new stories to go on forever and ever. I cant think of a more fitting end to end the star trek saga...at least in the films. I still wouldnt mind seeing a new tv series at some point but as far as Captain Kirk and crew, this seemed like a fitting goodbyes. Sometimes its best to quit while you are ahead. What does anybody else think?
I want one more movie at the very least. I've very much enjoyed the last two movies and want to see what's next for this version of the Enterprise crew.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:06 PM   #27
MOSUGOJI
Lieutenant Commander
 
MOSUGOJI's Avatar
 
Location: Central NY
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Personally I'm not into JJ's Star Trek at all so I can do without another movie.
MOSUGOJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Yes, I want another movie - several, actually - using these actors and produced and written by these folks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

BillJ wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Revenge of the Sith is also mainly targeted at the new generation of Star Wars fans who see Episides I, II and III first. Then there are absolutely no problems.
Sure there are. The biggest being that Anakin is an incredibly unsympathetic character. From the moment Hayden Christensen walks onto the scene, you could see him falling to the dark side and no one cared.
Absolutely. How much more satisfying would it be to have seen a nice guy go bad... than it was to have a petulant rebellious teen stay petulant and rebellious? It's clear we're supposed to associate the innocent kid from the first movie with the teenager from the second and third ones, but this is problematic in itself. There's a natural disconnect, almost as if they're two completely different characters (not helped by everybody else still being played by the same actors - what, does being a Jedi make someone enter puberty quicker?).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:43 PM   #30
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Lance wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Revenge of the Sith is also mainly targeted at the new generation of Star Wars fans who see Episides I, II and III first. Then there are absolutely no problems.
Sure there are. The biggest being that Anakin is an incredibly unsympathetic character. From the moment Hayden Christensen walks onto the scene, you could see him falling to the dark side and no one cared.
Absolutely. How much more satisfying would it be to have seen a nice guy go bad... than it was to have a petulant rebellious teen stay petulant and rebellious? It's clear we're supposed to associate the innocent kid from the first movie with the teenager from the second and third ones, but this is problematic in itself. There's a natural disconnect, almost as if they're two completely different characters (not helped by everybody else still being played by the same actors - what, does being a Jedi make someone enter puberty quicker?).
Which is true, Anakin's fall would have been much more dramatic had he been older, wiser and gentler, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.