Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 65 83.33%
Above average 9 11.54%
Average 2 2.56%
Below average 1 1.28%
Poor 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2013, 05:55 PM   #76
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Stick to cookie cutter dumb shit like Star Trek Into Darkness if you want shallow clean cut battles of Good vs Evil where the ending of the story is obvious 5 minutes in. George RR Martin strives for a more realistic, unpredicable approach, without the line between good and evil being drawn. It's what makes the series so refreshing. My favourite characters are Melisandre, Jaime, Stannis and Roose. All of which have done atrocious things. It's the charm of the series.

Robb and Catelyn were nobody's favourites so I doubt anybody will quit watching. If they'd killed Tyrion, Jaime and Arya in the same scene then maybe

Game of thrones IS cookie cutter shit with clean cut battles of Good vs. Evil.
It's just that GRR Martin likes to let the Bad guys win - for shock value. And the good guys will be made naive/etc for that to happen.

That's not more realistic than Good winning. Also, it's hardly original.
Old June 3 2013, 05:55 PM   #77
Alex1939
Captain

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Prove me wrong, then. You know what happens in books 4 and 5. You know how long he took to write them. Tell me that he hasn't written himself into a corner, is trying to get out, and had no idea what to do so he just started pulling stuff out of his ass from the moment he wrote the Red Wedding. I'm genuinely open minded here.
R + L = J

I believe GRRM said that he was going to do a time jump after book three but had to write some synopsis of what happened to the characters during the jump. The synopsis became so much that he ended up just making them into books. He really hasn't written himself in a corner and I'm still expecting the predicted ending of the series.

Fwiw, I've read almost all his other novels by now, and mostly they have satisfying endings.
Alex1939 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:57 PM   #78
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Prove me wrong, then. You know what happens in books 4 and 5. You know how long he took to write them. Tell me that he hasn't written himself into a corner, is trying to get out, and had no idea what to do so he just started pulling stuff out of his ass from the moment he wrote the Red Wedding. I'm genuinely open minded here.
R + L = J

I believe GRRM said that he was going to do a time jump after book three but had to write some synopsis of what happened to the characters during the jump. The synopsis became so much that he ended up just making them into books. He really hasn't written himself in a corner and I'm still expecting the predicted ending of the series.

Fwiw, I've read almost all his other novels by now, and mostly they have satisfying endings.
You do realise you failed to prove sttngfan1701d wrong, yes?
Old June 3 2013, 06:09 PM   #79
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Oh wow I was in shock watching that. That was so well done, at first I thought killing Robb's wife was going to be the payback, but nope, it carried on. Loved Arya running in to help, and the Hound knocking her out and dragging her away. I like their little double team, although it'll be interesting to see what the Hound does now since there's no-one to pay him for her.

I'm glad Brann at least got to see Jon Snow even if there hasn't been a reunion yet (I hope at least part of the family gets to reunite, I mean I love that it's dark and tragic but I'd like a little sweetness sprinkled in here and there). I also wonder how long it will take for word to reach Sansa.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:16 PM   #80
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
R + L = J

How is one supposed to "prove" that one way or the other when it's a completely subjective thing?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:26 PM   #81
publiusr
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
And I was still shocked that Caitlyn Tully slit the Frey wife's throat.
It wasn't with malice toward the wife. It is all she could do.
Caitlyns similar demise was actually a release of sorts--in that it ended greater pain of seeing her family all but destroyed. Poor Starks.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:39 PM   #82
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Personally, I thought her choice in hostages was much better here than in the book. IIRC, she held the court jester hostage (Patchface or Butterbumps maybe? Can't remember.) At least, in this version, she chose someone that Walder Frey might have had more of a realistic reluctance to let die and use as a viable leverage to stop the carnage. That made his "I'll get another one" line all that much more shocking (and darkly amusing).
Old June 3 2013, 06:43 PM   #83
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Wow that was some ending.
At this moment I'm feeling more sorry for poor Edmure Tully than Stark.
My computer went a little funny near the end, did they kill Edmure's wife or did they not show her?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:44 PM   #84
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Both Edmure and the Black Fish were off-screen when the massacre happened, so they are theoretically still around. The Starks may be largely decimated, but the Tullys are still in play.
Old June 3 2013, 07:00 PM   #85
Kosh Naranek
Captain

If I remember the book correctly, Cat seized one of Walder's sons or grandsons. I forget his given name, but I believe they called him Jinglebells. He was of diminished capacity and did not understand what was going on. Cat threatened to kill Jinglebells and Walder told her to go on because he had plenty of sons.

Walder's wife was a good subsitution. Cat's desperation when she realized what was happening chilled me in the books and the show.

The episode captured the brutality and the horror. I always felt so bad for the men outside at the feast burning to death in those tents.

I threw the book when I read that chapter and I was stunned when the credits rolled on the ep.

I think the TV show topped the books in brutality.

I was frustrated by Robb's choices in the books and on the show, but I was gutted by his death because of Cat's love and devotion.
Old June 3 2013, 07:07 PM   #86
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

This video is great. Six minutes of people watching HBO and freaking out, screaming, crying, and cursing. Warning: seriously hardcore language.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:16 PM   #87
Alex1939
Captain

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
R + L = J

Well yes!

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but if my mathematical formula is correct then there is no corner for GRRM to write himself out of.
Alex1939 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:33 PM   #88
Jax
Admiral

Ryan wrote: View Post
Ugh. This thread is why I try to stay away from online GoT discussion. The book people just ruin everything.
Yep, I was ruined in real life of this episode details sucked but hell it was a GREAT episode anyway.
Old June 3 2013, 07:50 PM   #89
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Damn. I knew something had to be up, but damn. This was made all the more shocking due to its brilliant execution. It was a stark contrast to the Tyrion and Sansa Wedding, where you could tell nobody was really enjoying themselves. But here, you had the music, and the joyfulness, and the bedding ceremony, and then, wham! It all made for a more devastating outcome.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:48 PM   #90
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

That was fantastic - didn't see it coming at all.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote