RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 417
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 2 2013, 10:04 PM   #76
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

I seem to remember that the warp core was a bit different before they decided on a movie.
Old June 2 2013, 10:25 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, the Phase II version didn't have the cylindrical shaft with the swirly lights. But it was the same set -- they just redressed it for the movie, and then rebuilt it as the TNG engine room and finally the VGR engine room.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:41 PM   #78
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Of course, the NIF didn't exist back in 1979. It's only been operating since 2009. Perhaps if it had been operating in 1979, it would have been the obvious choice to some, then, too.
Except that the TMP sets were built for the abortive Phase II TV revival, so engineering would've had to be a studio set that could be used on a weekly basis.
Belz... wrote: View Post
I seem to remember that the warp core was a bit different before they decided on a movie.
Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

The production tests shown here seem to resemble the concept art shown here more than what finally came out in TMP.

From what I understand, most Phase II sets on Stage 9 were redressed for TMP, but I don't know the details.
Old June 2 2013, 11:04 PM   #79
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
That's so much bullshit. They like things lighting up. The goddamn vacuum cleaner in the hall at Starfleet Command lights up in TWOK, as does Geordi LaForge's razor. It's somebody's idea of skiffy design, but that doesn't mean that it looks more plausibly futuristic, or is somehow more "future-proofed" as movie design, than using an actual high-tech facility as a location.
With a lot of the bigger and more sophisticated pieces of future Trek tech I never mind if they blink, glow or light up like a Christmas tree, but does everything no matter how small and insignificant have to beep, blink and sound like an old arcade game when you so much as pluck an eyebrow hair or make some eggs with it? I love the TNG era, but it's a wonder they didn't give their service boots blinky lights to make them look more Super Futurey Kewl. There's a lot to be said for a simple utensil made for a simple purpose being a simple piece of metal or plastic even if it's from 400 years into the future.

Not everything made in the future needs to look like a GameBoy. We get it. It's the 2300s now. The spaceships, aliens and warp drive kinda give it away all by themselves.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:38 AM   #80
Christopher
Writer

I don't mind the blinkies so much. My new landline phone handsets have LEDs that show they're charging and that blink when there's a message on the answering machine, and the buttons light up when you touch them so you can see them in the dark. And the LED in my monitor's power-on switch is so blindingly bright that I need to keep a small Post-It note stuck over it at all times.

What bugs me are the technologies that make no practical sense but are used only for the sake of being futuristic. Like using forcefields as prison doors, radiation shields, or (in TAS) spacesuits. Where's the sense in a safety system whose default failure mode is vanishing altogether? I don't care how futuristic a forcefield looks, a prison cell should have a door, something that won't just vanish if the power goes out. I also remember a scene in a Trek novel where an alien city street had streetlamps that levitated on pressor beams. Why is that better than just putting them on poles? Why waste the power just to be self-consciously future-y?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:16 AM   #81
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
That's so much bullshit. They like things lighting up. The goddamn vacuum cleaner in the hall at Starfleet Command lights up in TWOK, as does Geordi LaForge's razor. It's somebody's idea of skiffy design, but that doesn't mean that it looks more plausibly futuristic, or is somehow more "future-proofed" as movie design, than using an actual high-tech facility as a location.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:08 PM   #82
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Obviously the Federation indent for LED's had a few (hundred) extra zero's added, what else where they going to do with them.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:55 PM   #83
Richard Baker
Commander

The 'getting the reactor going..' bit did look better than Spock sticking his hand into a pillar shooting glowy fog, but KICKING a piece into alignment?

The Warp Core was better looking, but IIRC in the preceding movie Scotty ejected a number of them to detonate and save the ship from the black hole.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:58 PM   #84
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

^Those were the 'dilithium chambers'. Multiple smaller reaction vessels for the expanded size of the ship.

I'm not sure which one 'looked better', but knowing Kirk was physically kicking the Antimatter injector back into place does at least let us know what the hell was happening, verses Spock standing around molesting sparkly fog for 20 minutes.
Old June 3 2013, 05:08 PM   #85
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Taking these in reverse order, for reasons that should become clear...

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I'm not sure which one 'looked better', but knowing Kirk was physically kicking the Antimatter injector back into place does at least let us know what the hell was happening, verses Spock standing around molesting sparkly fog for 20 minutes.
I really doubt that was the antimatter injector. If it was, then the mirrored version at the other end of the electric arc would have been the deuterium injector... so where's the dilithium?

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
^Those were the 'dilithium chambers'. Multiple smaller reaction vessels for the expanded size of the ship.
Wouldn't each dilithium chamber need its own matter/antimatter injectors?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:51 PM   #86
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Scotty calls them Dilithium chambers, and both the dialogue and the screen he displays to Kirk say Matter and Antimatter injectors.

The whole reactor assembly is different now, the matter/antimatter reaction now occurs as an arc reaction, probably the "ball" creates a total vaccum and floods with plasma when no one is present inside it.
Old June 3 2013, 06:19 PM   #87
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Didn't he say "eject the core" ?
Old June 3 2013, 06:38 PM   #88
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Scotty: "Um... Okay, if we eject the core and detonate, the blast could be enough to push us away! I cannae promise anything, though!"

Somehow, "the" core turned into "four" cores.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:46 PM   #89
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Somehow, "the" core turned into "four" cores.
I never had a problem with the core being ejected in pieces.
Old June 3 2013, 06:58 PM   #90
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Take a look at this graphic:

It lools to me like those large intermix chamber vats are represented on the bottom right, above the six circles. They're all parts of the same warp drive system.