RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Posts: 5,214,181
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 814
Newest member: Farside89


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 65 83.33%
Above average 9 11.54%
Average 2 2.56%
Below average 1 1.28%
Poor 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3 2013, 03:37 PM   #61
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Tulin wrote: View Post
It all smacks to me of Martin being a sadist/attention whore who wants to just be all counter and shock his readers/audience - "Look at me! I can write a book where good DOES NOT triumph and evil sometimes wins!"
To me it 'smacks' of Martin being a fantastic writer. Every bad thing that happens to good people is the natural result of their own foolish actions. Ned was naive and his perspective was limited to that of his own honor-bound view and (TV)Robb was basically a rebellious teen who thought himself invincible.

In the books, there is nothing 'twist' about these deaths, you can follow them from action to action to action until they are the only possible solution to the plot. You may not see it at first, but it is all there.

It isn't about being shocking and 'grimmdark' as some like to call it. It is about telling the story of this kingdom through all the war and politics and the Starks just happen to be the most sympathetic side in the mess and thus made good protagonists. War is messy, revolution is messy(and rarely successful), the most moral and honorable sides usually lose. And in the end, that will make the victory of the few remaining 'heroes' that much sweeter.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:41 PM   #62
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

^^^ Well said.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:08 PM   #63
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Yeah, yeah. I know that and I've heard it all before. And I was drinking the Kool Aid too and listening to the audiobooks in 2011. Then the Red Wedding happened. I could hardly make it through book 3 after that. Then I quit. After reading what happens in books 4 and 5, I guess I saved myself the trouble.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if I wanted suffering and doom, there's any number of Russian novels for me down at the library.

The Fat Man probably thought he was creative, but actually wrote himself into a corner. And now he doesn't know what to do and is dragging his feet in finishing the series.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:15 PM   #64
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Yeah, yeah. I know that and I've heard it all before. And I was drinking the Kool Aid too and listening to the audiobooks in 2011. Then the Red Wedding happened. I could hardly make it through book 3 after that. Then I quit. After reading what happens in books 4 and 5, I guess I saved myself the trouble.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if I wanted suffering and doom, there's any number of Russian novels for me down at the library.

The Fat Man probably thought he was creative, but actually wrote himself into a corner. And now he doesn't know what to do and is dragging his feet in finishing the series.
You make a compelling argument for not bothering to read your posts in the future.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:22 PM   #65
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Venardhi wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Yeah, yeah. I know that and I've heard it all before. And I was drinking the Kool Aid too and listening to the audiobooks in 2011. Then the Red Wedding happened. I could hardly make it through book 3 after that. Then I quit. After reading what happens in books 4 and 5, I guess I saved myself the trouble.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if I wanted suffering and doom, there's any number of Russian novels for me down at the library.

The Fat Man probably thought he was creative, but actually wrote himself into a corner. And now he doesn't know what to do and is dragging his feet in finishing the series.
You make a compelling argument for not bothering to read your posts in the future.
Prove me wrong, then. You know what happens in books 4 and 5. You know how long he took to write them. Tell me that he hasn't written himself into a corner, is trying to get out, and had no idea what to do so he just started pulling stuff out of his ass from the moment he wrote the Red Wedding. I'm genuinely open minded here.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:28 PM   #66
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

So this book series right now, has no ending? So how long before the TV series catches up to where the books are? Then what happens?


-Chris
__________________
Shania's Place
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:31 PM   #67
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

cbspock wrote: View Post
So this book series right now, has no ending? So how long before the TV series catches up to where the books are? Then what happens?


-Chris
There are supposed to be 7 books. Five have been published. We'll see if the author actually finishes the last two before the series catches up.

The series is up to roughly 60% of the way through book 3. Season 4 will be the rest of book 3 and into book 4.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:50 PM   #68
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Tulin wrote: View Post
It all smacks to me of Martin being a sadist/attention whore
I don't think it's sadistic killing fictional characters that don't exist, but maybe that's just me. Also, if you're an attention whore then being a writer is one of the dumbest career paths possible.

Robb wasn't even a POV character in the book series and Catelyn served little purpose. Both got terrific deaths and their absence isn't missed by me in the way I'd hugely miss say, Bran as a POV character.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:06 PM   #69
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Stick to cookie cutter dumb shit like Star Trek Into Darkness if you want shallow clean cut battles of Good vs Evil where the ending of the story is obvious 5 minutes in. George RR Martin strives for a more realistic, unpredicable approach, without the line between good and evil being drawn. It's what makes the series so refreshing. My favourite characters are Melisandre, Jaime, Stannis and Roose. All of which have done atrocious things. It's the charm of the series.

Robb and Catelyn were nobody's favourites so I doubt anybody will quit watching. If they'd killed Tyrion, Jaime and Arya in the same scene then maybe
Do you really need to bring your stupid comments about STiD in this thread?
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:22 PM   #70
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If they'd killed Tyrion, Jaime and Arya in the same scene then maybe
Do you honestly think non-reading viewers are going to like what happens to Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow for that matter if the show follows the books? And Bran? Seriously?

At some point there's going to be a massive "Screw this," from the viewership. The only thing saving this series past season 4 is Stannis' storyline and Dany's.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:24 PM   #71
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

You may be onto something!
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:25 PM   #72
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
If they'd killed Tyrion, Jaime and Arya in the same scene then maybe
Do you honestly think non-reading viewers are going to like what happens to Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow for that matter if the show follows the books? And Bran? Seriously?

At some point there's going to be a massive "Screw this," from the viewership. The only thing saving this series past season 4 is Stannis' storyline and Dany's.
Just walk away man. You clearly find no satisfaction here. Save your energy, funnel it towards something you love.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:44 PM   #73
Q2UnME
Commodore
 
Q2UnME's Avatar
 
Location: Inman, SC
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

The ending of last nights episode had the Mrs. & I just sitting there going "WTF?" We've not read the books, nor delved into spoilers so the conclusion for Robb, Cat & Mrs.Robb was shocking and brutal.

They were some of the charactures we liked, so I'm a little unsure about really caring about the remaining. Could care less about Bran, even less about Stanis. Other than Jon Snow, Arya, Danny and Tyrion the show has managed to kill most of the characters that mattered to us.

Only thing to look forward to is potentially seeing Joeffery barbaqued by Denny's dragons. That would be deserving payback.... evil little shit ....

Q2
__________________
"Love to one, friendship to many and goodwill to all."

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot

Last edited by Q2UnME; June 3 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Typo's
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:45 PM   #74
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Venardhi wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
If they'd killed Tyrion, Jaime and Arya in the same scene then maybe
Do you honestly think non-reading viewers are going to like what happens to Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow for that matter if the show follows the books? And Bran? Seriously?

At some point there's going to be a massive "Screw this," from the viewership. The only thing saving this series past season 4 is Stannis' storyline and Dany's.
Just walk away man. You clearly find no satisfaction here. Save your energy, funnel it towards something you love.
I personally know several casual viewers who are disgusted with what happened last night. I told them to stick it out a little longer, because of the stuff that happens on the Wall and King's Landing. But I honestly do not see casual viewers caring about things past a certain point. And I'm not trying to be contrarian here. If the series follows the books to a T there will be a point like with BSG where people just sigh and walk away.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:50 PM   #75
Ryan
Commodore
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Ugh. This thread is why I try to stay away from online GoT discussion. The book people just ruin everything.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.