Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 3 2013, 12:11 AM   #1636
mswood
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Yes the film will easily pass 200 million overseas. We are nearly at 150 million right now. China will deliver at least another 25 itself, another 7 million from Korea. At a mojor box office tracking site every market is tracked and every single market is doing over what 2009, and most by oer a third, some by several multiples.

Just giving Into Darkness the performance of 2009 in the markets that have yet to open will push it past 200 million (including just China and South Korea manage to equal there first week with the rest of their run, and since they are doing better then expected they should and should easily).

Right now the Overseas is looking to go 220 to 240 million.

With US looking to hit 210 to 225.

No matter the total revenue generated should be 40 to 65 million more then what was generated by Trek 2009.

Of course the downside in this is that in the US attendance totals will be down over a full third. While normal 3D isn't consuming a large part of the ticket sales (under 29% which is low for a 3D/ normal screen ratio), and Imax remains very strong (when 2009 came out Trek was the most watch film on Imax, it did killer Imax business).

Overseas, even with 3d, and the few places that do show Imax (not a huge number), attendance is in most places up. Australia currently is one of the few countries that will absolutely see a lose in attendance. And several will jsut see very slight attendance increases (typically english speaking countries), but Russia, and so far the asian markets have shown huge increases. Consider that China and Russia are the two fastest growing markets and CHina will end up being the largest overseas market for Trek, Russia the third largest. It bodes extremely well for a future release.

Most films earn about 65-70 percent of their revenue overseas. Trek has been hurt by the fact that historically Trek has that reversed. Getting Asia to watch Trek, getting Russia to watch Trek is huge for Viacom. Getting growth and expanding the areas of the World that Trek can make money is simply put vastly more important for Viacom then the US performance.
Old June 3 2013, 12:57 AM   #1637
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I was just hoping for $300 million worldwide by the end of Sunday at the beginning of the week, the fact that it hit $328.5 million already is amazing!!!

I saw it again today, for the first time one of the people I saw it with did not rave about it, they said it was just ok. Oh well.

RAMA
Old June 3 2013, 01:00 AM   #1638
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Didn't read the whole thread but, has anybody else noticed that Box Office Mojo is basically giving ST09 an extra day of revenue in their comparison with ID ? ID's first day was with a tenth of its full release theatres and it only made 2 million that day, and yet they count it when comparing the two, even in their article from today. That's kinda unfair for the new movie.
Old June 3 2013, 01:09 AM   #1639
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but, has anybody else noticed that Box Office Mojo is basically giving ST09 an extra day of revenue in their comparison with ID ? ID's first day was with a tenth of its full release theatres and it only made 2 million that day, and yet they count it when comparing the two, even in their article from today. That's kinda unfair for the new movie.
Yes I did point that out. I also pointed out the lower theater count over ST09 too. ALso STID made it's $16.4 million this weekend with more than 500 fewer theaters than last week.

RAMA
Old June 3 2013, 03:34 AM   #1640
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

KittyDuran wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
I'm probably going to go a fourth time.

What about merchandising? Does that play into it at all? I've seen the movie three times, but I also bought the Into Darkness soundtrack album, and the novelisation
Wish there were more... National Amusements had a special cup you could purchase but that was about it... Haven't been to the Regal cinemas yet to see what they have to offer. Nothing from AMC...I still had the special gift card (Spock) from ST09 that I used this past week. The ticket taker and concessions employees thought it was a great idea.
OK. went to a Regal cinema today (2:45pm) and it was 3/4 full. No tie-in unfortunately.
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:28 AM   #1641
Lynn Minmay
Captain

Will Smith's new movie BOMBED.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/c...iflops2012.htm
Old June 3 2013, 07:51 AM   #1642
I am not Spock
Commodore

Anyone think 500 mil worldwide is possible? I think it is doable. It's been doing great in China so far. I don't think it will get to 300 million in the US at this point, though. That's the thing. 200 mil overseas is very likely.

Somewhere in the 450 mil range is where this will probably end up. I hope I'm wrong, though. Half a billion would be amazing (for a Trek film)
Old June 3 2013, 07:57 AM   #1643
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

throwback wrote: View Post
I know that Europe is having an unemployment crisis, with three of the countries named above reporting an increased number of jobless.
I thought movie-going was something that tended to survive high unemployment rates? People still need entertainment and it's still a relatively cheap night out if you use discount vouchers and smuggle in your own food.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:43 PM   #1644
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Anyone think 500 mil worldwide is possible? I think it is doable. It's been doing great in China so far. I don't think it will get to 300 million in the US at this point, though. That's the thing. 200 mil overseas is very likely.

Somewhere in the 450 mil range is where this will probably end up. I hope I'm wrong, though. Half a billion would be amazing (for a Trek film)
Sadly, I'd say $500m is only an outside possibility at this stage. It really pains me to say this, but I think we should maybe start thinking about figures in the $420-430m range for this film now.

I just wish Trek could make that "larger" mainstream breakthrough. The very, very average Iron Man 3 sails past a billion on the crest of its good but overrated team-up movie sibling. While STID, which (in my admittedly probably somewhat biased opinion) is easily the superior movie, has to claw its way over the $400m mark.
Old June 3 2013, 01:11 PM   #1645
MacLeod
Admiral

The film has already done better overseas than ST(2009) and has yet to open in some markets. It's only US$30m or so behind ST(2009) so it should easily surpass ST(2009) and takins with a box office in the region of US$400-450m. PAramount will be happy with that.

The only market it might underperform in is the US market, that doesn't mean it's done bad. At the end of the day Paramount won't mind if the money comes fro the US market or elsewhere in the world.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:17 PM   #1646
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The film has already done better overseas than ST(2009) and has yet to open in some markets. It's only US$30m or so behind ST(2009) so it should easily surpass ST(2009) and takins with a box office in the region of US$400-450m. PAramount will be happy with that.
If comes in closer to $400m, I don't expect "happy" will be the pervasive emotion at Paramount. Possibly, "disappointed but OK with it" would be closer to the mark.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; June 3 2013 at 04:04 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:40 PM   #1647
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

425-475m, probably closer to 425m is my guess world wide.

No chance at 500m, unless its a miracle.

It'll be doubling its budget easily WW, but domestic is disappointing. The foreign take seems very good for a historically poor OS franchise, it bodes well for future installments.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:20 PM   #1648
ralph
Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
It'll be doubling its budget easily WW, but domestic is disappointing. The foreign take seems very good for a historically poor OS franchise, it bodes well for future installments.
I am disappointed with audience in the USA. I think the place with the highest concentration of hard trekkers in the world and ST 2009 pleased many non trekkers in USA too.
I expected an small increase box office outside USA, but I did not expect a smaller domestic audience than Star Trek. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

Last edited by ralph; June 3 2013 at 03:35 PM.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:35 PM   #1649
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think the hardcore did turnout. I just think the advertising wasn't done in a way that piqued general audience interest.
Old June 3 2013, 03:54 PM   #1650
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post
Can anyone explain the reason for this?
Thare too many bigger franchises out there competing for a movie audience. Lets face it, Fast and Furious and Iron Man have a bigger fan follwoing among sci-fi / fantasy fans and the general public than Trek.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote