TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 2 2013, 09:40 PM   #211
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

I will give the production crew, and actors, credit: The visuals were delightful, and Chris Doohan would have made his dad proud. Aside from that, most of the other actors were just non-existent. Oh, they were saying their lines, but that's about all it felt like. There was no emotion, no strength in the delivery. It almost felt like a table reading, to be honest.

If I close my eyes, and listen to Shat, Nimoy, or Kelley deliver their lines, I can almost read the expressions on their faces just by the way they deliver the words. With these people, however, I draw a blank. For all I know, they're reading the menu at Don's Chinese Buffet, and just ordered the Creme of Sum-Yung-Gai.

Also, the actor playing McCoy needs to be replaced. He's just completely wrong for the role. Remember watching Andy Griffith, and seeing Floyd Lawson as played by Howard McNear? Remember the first actor who played Floyd? Well it would be like replacing Howard McNear with Walter Baldwin. It would just strike the wrong chord immediately, and that's how I felt with this actor playing McCoy. No offense to the man, he's playing his part, but the whole tone feels completely off.

By comparison, Karl Urban nailed the shit out of the McCoy role for ST09 and STiD. To me, Urban is the bona fide younger incarnation of De Kelley's famous ship's surgeon/all-around curmudgeon. So it can be done.

All in all, a decent effort, though I feel that they should have simply struck out to do a different crew. One of my favorite fan productions is Starship Exeter, because they're not trying to be the Enterprise crew, and I think it works better that way. Unless you have some mad talent as a casting director, you're not going to effectively capture the mannerisms and style of that original crew.

So, all in all, a valiant effort, and in some places they succeed, where in many others they don't. I don't care about authentic sets, and smooth visuals if the actors can't deliver. If they can't pull me into the story, then it's all for naught.

As it stands, when I see Vic Mignona, I see "I AM PLAYING CAPTAIN KIRK!" in neon letters above his head. The same for Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, respectively. Chris Doohan, though, did a wonderful job as Scotty. He even smiles like him. I really enjoyed his work in this episode. The rest, though, didn't seem comfortable in their roles. Maybe it's just me, but they seemed to be more avatar than incarnation.

So I hope they can improve on that, because they have a lot of promise. Some significant work needs done, but if they're dedicated, they'll see it through. I hope they succeed. It's nice to see episodic Star Trek again.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:59 PM   #212
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

I think some of you are confusing dud scripts with overall quality of the product as a whole. There are lots of TOS episode duds, but, with a few exceptions, the acting is always solid as is the camera work, editing, etc. By those measures, no fanfilm ever has been TV quality, as admirable as the work might be.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:02 PM   #213
marksound
Fleet Captain

I think Vic does a passable job as Kirk. He tends to speak through his nose though, and with practice could open it up and sound less like he's hitting the helium. And that's not a dig. I really think he's doing the best "non-sanctioned" Kirk I've seen.

The Spock guy is ok, but the hair bugs me. It's just not right. The ears are too big for his head too. These are minor things that can be fixed.

McCoy is miscast. The guy might be good with another character, but not this one. P2's John Kelley is much better, IMO.

Chris Doohan does a good job, but might be trying a bit too hard. Some places the accent didn't flow, like he was tripping over it. He'll get it right.

Another Scotty note: I thought that if it were 45 years ago, some of his lines would have gone to Spock or McCoy. Not a problem, just something I noticed.

Michael Forest was good.

The holodeck scene was weird. It didn't fit into the story at all. I didn't get the Paladin connection until I saw someone else comment on it. That's cool, but unnecessary.

Otherwise, the story was good. They hit the ground running with this one. Some things could be tightened up, but all in all, I've seen a lot worse.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:10 PM   #214
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
I think some of you are confusing dud scripts with overall quality of the product as a whole. There are lots of TOS episode duds, but, with a few exceptions, the acting is always solid as is the camera work, editing, etc. By those measures, no fanfilm ever has been TV quality, as admirable as the work might be.
An episode of TOS cost what adjusted to inflation? 1 million?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:55 PM   #215
M
Vice Admiral

Well, most of it has already been said, but I, too, am blown away by the quality of this. While certainly not up to television broadcast standards, most of this seemed to work. The acting, the music, the story, the effects – there's great work from all departments. I especially enjoyed Michael Forest, who – no surprise there – outshines pretty much everyone else with his acting chops. He has a grace and stature that even a silly costume and hair piece can't diminish.

But all the others were great, too. Vis Mignogna is terrific as Kirk! I didn't think I was going to like him from the first snippets of his Kirk, but I loved him here. Larry Nemecek as McCoy is nice, too, even though he's not exactly channeling Kelley's performance. (But then again, why would he need to be?) Chris Doohan is great as Scotty and I like the guy playing Spock; although he seems too young to me.

My favorite scene in this, by the way, was the singing in the rec room. It might have seemed cheesy to some, but it really felt like something TOS would have done; especially in season three or four. Michael Forest's delivery in this was amazing. I loved this! (Also, Jamie Bamber as a redshirt: Brilliant!)

I wish I could say the same about the first scene and the last, both of which seemed kind of gratuitous. The first one because it served no purpose whatsoever for the story to follow, and the last one because it felt like something TOS would never have done.

But those are just minor quibbles. I love this and I'm really looking forward to what they come up with next.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:18 PM   #216
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
People keep saying some fanfilms are as good as the professional shows, but they're not. The cost may well be partly to blame, but I think there's more to it than that, especially since these are labors of love instead of professional productions (even if there are some pro people involved).

None of which is to diminish what these people accomplish. I'm just being realistic about the result.
Old June 3 2013, 02:05 AM   #217
feek61
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I believe the episodes were budgeted at $186,000 per episode for one of the seasons (can't remember which). That would amount to about $1.3 million in today's dollars
Old June 3 2013, 02:29 AM   #218
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

The holodeck was somewhat gratuitous, to bridge the TOS era to TNG (as was the counselor). I can live with it. We had the IDIC scene in a broadcast TOS after all, just to sell trinkets.

I'm ok with a different-feeling Dr. oddly. I really like DeForest Kelley; but different actors are allowed to interpret a role differently. In fact in the movies Pine and Quinto seem different from the TV actors, but Urban is so Kelley-like, it takes me out of the story a bit. Weird, I know. The Chekov guy, too, like they're impersonating the TV actors while the rest did their characters on their own.
Old June 3 2013, 02:55 AM   #219
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
The holodeck was somewhat gratuitous, to bridge the TOS era to TNG...
Except the holodeck was actually introduced in TAS' "The Practical Joker."
Old June 3 2013, 02:59 AM   #220
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

It was still gratuitous as it had zip to do with the story.
Old June 3 2013, 03:04 AM   #221
Captain Cain
Cadet

Hello everyone, I've been browsing these forums for a long time, but never registered until now. Well here I am!

That out of the way, I'll chime in on my thoughts on PoE. I've seen several different fan productions, from Exeter to Phase II and Farragut. I've gotta say that I have enjoyed them all, and this first full outing for ST Continues is certainly no exception.

Streaming it from YouTube onto my big screen tonight, I was blown away by the production values and work these amazing people put into a project like this.

Vic Mignogna makes a terrific Kirk! I for one enjoyed his performance and thought he nailed the charisma that makes up who Kirk is. He comes off as a real heroic leader, and I appreciated his effort.

Chris Doohan blew me away. When I first saw him perform as Scotty in the "Birthday" vignette I immediately realized that he is about 10 times better than Simon Pegg is for that character (no offense to Mr. Pegg, he's an awesome guy, I just couldn't see him as Scotty). It was also cool to see Grant Imahara play Sulu (MythBusters rocks), and getting another Apollo in Jamie Bamber was a nice touch.

Speaking of Apollo, it was good to see Michael Forest reprise his TOS guest role. It was nice that they sent him off the way they did, as the way he departed in Who Mourns for Adonais seemed somewhat tragic.

The visual effects were also top notch. Enterprise looked fantastic, inside and out. Big kudos to the entire production team.

I've got to hand it to the men and women who help put these fan productions together for our entertainment. I really appreciate the effort and time they invest so we can enjoy just a little more Trek. I think Mr. Roddenberry would be proud.

Cain
Captain Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:52 AM   #222
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Right. I think the poster's point was not that the holodeck concept was anachronistic, having been introduced in "The Practical Joker" (and in the book The Making of Star Trek years before that, for that matter). I think the point was that the completely plausible holodeck technology and scene with Paladin from "have Gun, Will Travel" didn't really have any dramatic purpose in the story. It's not like they ended up giving Apollo a holographic home or something. I think people might have been waiting for Checkov's Gun to pay off. It never really did. I guess it was just an appetizer that was unrelated to the main course. (I guess people can decide if that spoils the meal for them or not.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:23 AM   #223
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

That was a "recreation room" that appeared to have rather limited capabilities. It looked like it just did scenery as we never saw any characters to interact with in it.

The thing that bugs me, if you're a stickler for canon, is that the holodeck appeared to be a fairly new thing in "Encounter to Farpoint," about 80 years later. Riker and Wesley were both "ooing" and "aahing" about it in that episode.
Old June 3 2013, 06:59 AM   #224
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

In my defense, Starship Exeter has spoiled me beyond all reason.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:05 PM   #225
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Right. I think the poster's point was not that the holodeck concept was anachronistic, having been introduced in "The Practical Joker" (and in the book The Making of Star Trek years before that, for that matter). I think the point was that the completely plausible holodeck technology and scene with Paladin from "have Gun, Will Travel" didn't really have any dramatic purpose in the story. It's not like they ended up giving Apollo a holographic home or something. I think people might have been waiting for Checkov's Gun to pay off. It never really did. I guess it was just an appetizer that was unrelated to the main course. (I guess people can decide if that spoils the meal for them or not.)
The seems an announcement (like having a counselor), "Hey we're the next year of adventures: things are a bit upgraded and this is how you end up at TNG."

And yes, my daughter was expecting a holodeck realm of worshipers for ol' Apollo. I am glad it wasn't Chekhov's gun, as I find those lame. I'm actually fine with seeing a bit of life on the ship unrelated to the main story.