Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Shocks of Adversity.
Outstanding 17 42.50%
Above Average 21 52.50%
Average 1 2.50%
Below Average 1 2.50%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Sho
Fleet Captain

TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Author William Leisner concludes this year's TOS/5YM marathon with his second Star Trek novel, The Shocks of Adversity. He's no stranger to the TOS characters however, most recently having taken them on an adventure in Ambition, his entry in the Constellations short story collection to commemorate the franchise's 40th anniversary. In the meantime, this novel's release date on May 28th falls neatly into the month of his 14th anniversary as a published Trek scribe. Congrats!

This one's got an unusually long official blurb:

Located far beyond the boundaries of explored space, the Goeg Domain is a political union of dozens of planets and races. When the U.S.S. Enterprise arrives in its territory to investigate an interstellar phenomenon, Commander Laspas of the Domain Defense Corps is at first guarded, then fascinated to discover the existence of an alliance of worlds much like his own, and finds a kindred spirit in Captain James T. Kirk. And when the Enterprise is attacked by the Domain’s enemies, crippling the starship’s warp capability and leaving its crew facing the prospect of a slow, months-long journey home, the Goeg leader volunteers the help of his own ship, offering to combine the resources of both vessels to bring the Enterprise to a nearby Domain facility to make the necessary repairs.

But what at first seems to be an act of peace and friendship soon turns out to be a devil’s bargain, as Kirk and the Enterprise crew learn that there are perhaps more differences than similarities between the Federation and the Domain. When the Goeg’s adversaries strike again, the Enterprise is drawn deeper and inexorably into the conflict, and Kirk begins to realize that they may have allied themselves with the wrong side....
Unfortunately neither Simon & Schuster nor Amazon currently offer a peek at the text.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Markonian
Captain

Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

I am starting to like Star Trek TOS novels and am looking forward to this one. The Domain sounds like a friendly mini-Federation, so wonder what will be wrong with them.

Also, the cover pleasantly reminds me of TOS-R.
Old May 29 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

This dropped into my Kindle yesterday, and I read it on a long road-trip. A fascinating read - I love some of the nods to future continuity (Dom Jot and so on), especially as this helps us to see that the future is bright for the species in the vicinity of the Domain, whilst leaving open the fate of the actual organisation.

I definitely saw parallels (which may or may not have been intended) with some real-world global situations - if they were intended, Mr. Leisner, message wholeheartedly agreed with.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Awaiting mine to appear in my mailbox...
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Reanok
Commodore

Ditto I'm waiting for this book to arrive in the mail too.I've heard positive reviews for this book.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

I am close to half done and am really enjoying this. Some very nice world building to make the alien organization feel distinctive and not like a Federation clone.

At this point my only real complaint is an ongoing complaint about pretty much all of this years TOS novels. The constant references to episodes etc, start to feel overdone and kind of forced. But that's a minor nit to pick really.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:34 AM   #7
E-DUB
Captain

I enjoyed it immensely. The concept is virtually identical to one I had years ago. Good to see it done by a pro. (For the record, I never communicated the idea to anybody, so there isn't the slightest implication of anything in anything I'm saying.)
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Ood Sigma
Commander

Outstanding. By far the best TOS novel published this year. Characterization was spot-on, the situation was believable, and the plot was well thought out and evolved at a great pace.

I normally prefer 24th century Star Trek but, if not for the recent publication of Cold Equations, this would be the best Star Trek novel I've read in years.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Reanok
Commodore

I started reading this book last night. I really like it so far well written and like the other Tos novels that have come out this is n excellent book.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 11:43 PM   #10
YubYubCommander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with pretty much everything Odd Sigma said. I voted Outstanding. It was a nicely paced adventure. The characters and situations were believable. Overall, one of the best ST novels I've read in a long time, bar Cold Equations.
YubYubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

This is cool to hear. I loved - LOVED - Losing The Peace and was hoping that Leisner would become a regular, it's awesome that he got this one and that it's up to the same standards. I haven't read any of the TOS this year but I'll probably check this one out.
Old June 1 2013, 05:29 AM   #12
JD
Admiral

Me too. I really enjoyed LTP and I was really looking forward to this, so I'm glad to see it get good reviews.
Old June 2 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

I think it would be more fun if we could see this entirely from a Goeg POV.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I just started. It seems just all right so far. Nice homage to the grapper perhaps "left over" from the NX-01
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I have not yet finished this but I wanted to drop in to perhaps sway someone on the fence about buying - this is a superb book. (so far)

Feels like it could've been an episode but call-outs to overall continuity (grappler, etc) as well.