Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 2 2013, 05:57 PM   #211
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Matt Smith confirmed for series 8

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
What is it about Idris Elba that is particularly Doctor-like, according to his supporters? Or is it just because you like the actor?
The fact that he's a good actor is number one, yeah. He'd certainly be a very different Doctor which I think could be quite interesting.
Old June 2 2013, 07:00 PM   #212
Starkers
Admiral

Well never say never because he might surprise me, but much as I'm a fan of Elba (have been since Ultraviolet) he does not strike me as the Doctor type. Eccleston for all his hard exterior, was actually quite a broken man, plus before he got the part I knew he'd be able to play the Doctor because I'd seen him play odd, alien characters before (Nicole Kidman's husband in The Others for example). I'm yet to see anything in Elba's back catalog that suggests he could play an eccentric 1000 year old Time Lord.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 07:07 PM   #213
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
What is it about Idris Elba that is particularly Doctor-like, according to his supporters? Or is it just because you like the actor?
The fact that he's a good actor is number one, yeah. He'd certainly be a very different Doctor which I think could be quite interesting.
One of my issues with Elba is that he's massive - he's built like a brick shit-house which makes him right for certain roles but I'm not so sure about the Doctor.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 07:18 PM   #214
StCoop
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
I'm yet to see anything in Elba's back catalog that suggests he could play an eccentric 1000 year old Time Lord.
Does Doctor have to equal childish clown? Is that going to be Matt Smith's legacy?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 07:19 PM   #215
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

How do you get "eccentric" to equal "childish clown"?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 07:46 PM   #216
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

And however we want to define it, it's Patrick Troughton's legacy more than anyone else's.
Old June 2 2013, 08:10 PM   #217
Starkers
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
I'm yet to see anything in Elba's back catalog that suggests he could play an eccentric 1000 year old Time Lord.
Does Doctor have to equal childish clown? Is that going to be Matt Smith's legacy?
Or David Tennant's? Trouble is you can't see past your own prejudices.

I don't want another Matt Smith (don't want another Tennant either) but I want someone who can imbue the character with some sense of the Doctor, and I just don't see that in Elba. I'm starting to think maybe you're serious about Statham now...

Last edited by Starkers; June 2 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old June 2 2013, 08:59 PM   #218
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I'm starting to think maybe you're serious about Statham now...
It's easy to joke about Statham as the Doctor, such as in the one funny Ctrl-Alt-Del comic, because people would expect Statham to play the Doctor in the style of all of Statham's roles -- the hard-edged, ass-kicking, death-dealing anti-hero.

If Statham played the Doctor, he would have to play against type. I have no idea if he'd want the role -- to be honest, it would be a lot more work and a lot less pay than for a feature film -- but if he were interested, it would be for that reason, to demonstrate that he's capable of more than his persona.

No, I'm not saying that Statham as the Doctor would be a good idea or not. I would be amused by the casting (it would make some sections of fandom go batshit insane). Could be interesting. Could be a disaster.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:10 PM   #219
DWF
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
It's easy to joke about Statham as the Doctor, such as in the one funny Ctrl-Alt-Del comic, because people would expect Statham to play the Doctor in the style of all of Statham's roles -- the hard-edged, ass-kicking, death-dealing anti-hero.
So it'd be like as if Jon Pertwee had returned from the dead.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:17 PM   #220
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Good lord. I hope that at some point you can get over your "STEVEN MOFFAT ISN'T RUSSELL T DAVIES THEREFORE HE SUCKS AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH HIM SUCKS" spiel. Honestly, the palpable glee you take in every bit of news or rumors that could maybe, possibly have some sort of negative reflection upon Moffat is starting to border on nauseating.

Anyway, back on topic, Idris Elba is not going to be the next Doctor. Hugh Laurie is not going to be the next Doctor. Benedict Cumberbatch is not going to be the next Doctor. The BBC will select an actor with whom they have some familiarity, someone who's done some work for them (appearances in television shows, with maybe a bit role in a movie) and that they can sign cheaply, given the ongoing budget issues.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:27 PM   #221
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

If Statham played the Doctor, he would have to play against type. I have no idea if he'd want the role -- to be honest, it would be a lot more work and a lot less pay than for a feature film -- but if he were interested, it would be for that reason, to demonstrate that he's capable of more than his persona.

No, I'm not saying that Statham as the Doctor would be a good idea or not. I would be amused by the casting (it would make some sections of fandom go batshit insane). Could be interesting. Could be a disaster.
Yeah I know, and people can play against type (one of the reasons I would like to see Sean Pertwee have a crack is that I've seen him play vastly different people). and actually given the choice between Statham and Elba I'd go with Elba because he is actually a better actor. Statham's great at what he does, but one of the best things about it that he understands his limits.
Perhaps we should have a nightmare casting thread?

Danny Dyer anyone?

Old June 2 2013, 09:32 PM   #222
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

McGann
Old June 2 2013, 10:09 PM   #223
DWF
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Good lord. I hope that at some point you can get over your "STEVEN MOFFAT ISN'T RUSSELL T DAVIES THEREFORE HE SUCKS AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH HIM SUCKS" spiel. Honestly, the palpable glee you take in every bit of news or rumors that could maybe, possibly have some sort of negative reflection upon Moffat is starting to border on nauseating.
The irony of your statement is that when Moffat took over it was RTD who was the villain and Moffat who could do no wrong.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:29 PM   #224
Starkers
Admiral

Not for stcoop, he nailed his colours firmly to the mast even before Moffat took over...

Old June 2 2013, 10:49 PM   #225
sj4iy
Commander

DWF wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

The irony of your statement is that when Moffat took over it was RTD who was the villain and Moffat who could do no wrong.
I prefer Moffat's stories myself. "Blink" was my favorite episode of the Tennant era. I just felt that Moffat's Doctor is always building up to something, which gets me through the more mundane episodes. I never really felt that way with most of Tennant- we just have lots of people to deal with over a short span of time.

I also prefer Smith over Tennant (blasphemy, I know), because I felt that Smith had another level more than Tennant. I always felt that there was a deep sorrow to Smith's doctor, and he could play every emotion perfectly. I hope they can find another actor with incredible range.

"Fear me. I've killed all of them."
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote