New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 2 2013, 08:29 PM   #196
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

The new series does a lot of things that weren't in the classic series (and vice versa). the classic series used to be in black and white as well...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:31 PM   #197
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Filming in black and white wasn't a creative decision, it was a technical limitation. The gender politics in New Who could stand to be severely improved.

It was the same thing with Sally and Larry's relationship in Blink too.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:40 PM   #198
beamMe
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Filming in black and white wasn't a creative decision, it was a technical limitation.
More like a financial limitation.

The gender politics in New Who could stand to be severely improved.

It was the same thing with Sally and Larry's relationship in Blink too.
Oddly enough I have no problems with how men and women portrayed in DW.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:42 PM   #199
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I do and if people would rather block me than have their opinions mildly challenged then so be it.

Think Clara is awesome but I'd definitely lose the stock Moffat flirty banter next series. It's just tired.
Old June 2 2013, 08:45 PM   #200
sj4iy
Commander

My quarrel isn't merely with the portrayal of men or women, but the portrayal of their relationships and interaction. It is found throughout Moffat's work, in Coupling and even Jekyll. There is a definite "battle of the sexes" edge to it that was not in the classic series.

River is modern feminism warped beyond belief. She seems constantly out to humiliate men, both sexually and emotionally. In no way would I ever describe Mickey and Rose's, Amy and Rory's or River and The Doctor's relationships as remotely healthy. All feature a woman humiliating a man while the man is expected to just take it. If people think that's alright, or that there is no trend, then so be it. But I strongly disagree.
River isn't "feminism", she's a "psychopath". There IS a big difference. She does what she wants, when she wants, and she doesn't recognize any authority, even the Doctor's.

And no, the Doctor and his companions aren't going to have "healthy" relationships. He's a madman with a box. He picks out people who have problems for various reasons and then gets them into a ton of trouble. He's the ultimate "Peter Pan". Also, healthy relationships are boring and don't make for great drama. And the men don't just "take it". The Doctor needs friends to help keep him in check, and the other guys are jealous because they are worried that they can't compete with the Doctor. He is, essentially, using his companions to keep from being lonely, but in the end, he always loses them.

Why do they punch or slap each other? Because it's what the audience wants and it's funny.

You say you want a "realistic" portrayal of a female companion. So, what is "realistic" if you don't consider a relationship with a strong woman normal?

"Fear me. I've killed all of them."
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:46 PM   #201
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

My quarrel isn't merely with the portrayal of men or women, but the portrayal of their relationships and interaction. It is found throughout Moffat's work, in Coupling and even Jekyll. There is a definite "battle of the sexes" edge to it that was not in the classic series.
The Atlantic took a look at Moffat's gender politics in Who a few months ago, and they chart it going back to "The Girl in the Fireplace." I think part of the problem is that Moffat's characters are more plot puzzles than characters.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:49 PM   #202
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

sj4iy wrote: View Post
Why do they punch or slap each other? Because it's what the audience wants and it's funny.
They don't punch or slap each other. Women hit the men and it's just meant to be funny and acceptable. In a show that is otherwise incredibly preachy about morals, it rubs me up the wrong way entirely seeing the hypocrisy on display.

"Make the foundation of this society the man THAT NEVER WOULD... stand up for himself."
Old June 2 2013, 08:52 PM   #203
beamMe
Fleet Captain

They don't punch or slap each other. Women hit the men.
You act as if this were a DW-staple.
Old June 2 2013, 08:57 PM   #204
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post
What? In New Who it inarguably is. Hell, the companion's mother slapping The Doctor was a dumb recurring gag in the RTD era.
Old June 2 2013, 09:03 PM   #205
beamMe
Fleet Captain

What? In New Who it inarguably is. Hell, the companion's mother slapping The Doctor was a dumb recurring gag in the RTD era.
I can't think of a moment where the Doctor didn't have it coming. I'm surprised that Rory didn't deck him regularly.

The Doctor can be an arse, he surrounds himself with women - of course they kick him in nuts from time to time, deservedly so.
Old June 2 2013, 09:11 PM   #206
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I can't think of a moment where the Doctor didn't have it coming.
Wow. Well uh, we have very different attitudes towards what behaviour deserves physical violence as a response.
Old June 2 2013, 09:19 PM   #207
Count Zero
Decidedly something

It seems I've been watching a different show than some people here. When did a woman hit a man? I honestly can't remember any of those scenes.
Old June 2 2013, 09:23 PM   #208
Starkers
Admiral

They don't punch or slap each other. Women hit the men and it's just meant to be funny and acceptable. In a show that is otherwise incredibly preachy about morals, it rubs me up the wrong way entirely seeing the hypocrisy on display.

"Make the foundation of this society the man THAT NEVER WOULD... stand up for himself."
And when Rory punches the Doctor? Or when the Doctor does actually deserve it? (snogging Jenny being case in point) what about then?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:23 PM   #209
sj4iy
Commander

I can't think of a moment where the Doctor didn't have it coming.
Wow. Well uh, we have very different attitudes towards what behaviour deserves physical violence as a response.
You're taking this way too seriously. It's a tv show, not the next door neighbors. People get away with all sorts of things on tv that they don't get away with in real life. People should be smart enough to know that they shouldn't emulate what they see on tv. I'm not going to start blaming entertainment for problems in the real world, and I'm not going to strip down entertainment because of it. If I see it in a comedic moment on tv, I laugh. If I see someone abusing someone in front of me on the street, I call the cops. It's that simple. I'm not confusing one with the other.

"Fear me. I've killed all of them."
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:30 PM   #210
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Count Zero wrote: View Post
It seems I've been watching a different show than some people here. When did a woman hit a man? .
Never happened apparently. Best to move on with the thread.