TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 2 2013, 02:50 AM   #91
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: DC Comics' Star Tek (1st Series)

There are a few stories I remember quite fondly from that DC run.

* "The Trouble with Bearclaw" (29)
* "Maggie's World" (30,31)
* "The Doomsday Bug" (34-36)
* "The Return of the Serpent" (43-45)

Great stuff.
Old June 2 2013, 04:53 AM   #92
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The few issues I've read of the old DC Comics I've really enjoyed. I thought the Final Mission comic, which featured Decker, the Klingons, and the Talosians was perfect. It was an episode that never would have been in the 60s but would have been done now.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:01 AM   #93
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

shivkala wrote: View Post
hunting down issues from the 1st series was a lot of fun. Those comics were a bit more "free-wheeling," while the 2nd series was a bit more serious.
I agree. My main disappointments with Series II had to do with the need to reconceive M'Ress and Arex as new characters, M'yra and Fouton. While I really loved Fouton, knowing that he replaced my favourite TAS character was so frustrating.

Also the new, higher quality paper permitted more intense colours (no more halftones, a staple of Series I) but to me it seemed that they overdid the dark brown colourings on the Klingons and M'yra.

Favourite Series I stories were Diane Duane's "Double Blind", and the three annuals: "All Those Years Ago..." (first mission), "Final Mission", and the Scotty's wife tale ("Retrospect").

Last edited by Therin of Andor; June 2 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:31 PM   #94
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Favourite Series I stories were Diane Duane's "Double Blind",
I don't get the love for "Double Blind." I guess it's supposed to be one of the comedy episodes, but if it is then the humor falls flat.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:04 PM   #95
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I don't get the love for "Double Blind." I guess it's supposed to be one of the comedy episodes, but if it is then the humor falls flat.
I find it hilarious.

Especially Naraht the horta watching the Ajir aliens eating the furniture in the rec deck. "That looks so gooood."

And the Grond, looking like cute little pussy cats, demanding that Kirk surrender his vessel. I think it was Sulu who wonders, "What are they gonna do, shed on us?"
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:24 PM   #96
BillJ
Admiral

Agreed. I thought it was dull.
Old June 2 2013, 04:14 PM   #97
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I find it hilarious.
And that's just it. Humor is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for telling me what you get out of the story. Because I don't get anything out of the story.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:32 PM   #98
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Matter of taste, I guess. Honestly, though, i used to foind it funnier than I do now.

I do still really like Diane Duane's McCoy story "The Last word" a few issues later (#28) with the really nice Gray Morrow artwork.

Last edited by Mysterion; June 2 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:51 PM   #99
BillJ
Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Matter of taste, I guess. Honestly, though, i used to foind it funnier than I do now.

I do still really like Diane Duane's McCoy story "The Last word" a few issues later (#28) with the really nice Gray Morrow artwork.
Yep. Awesome story.
Old June 2 2013, 06:27 PM   #100
Christopher
Writer

Another matter of taste. I like the story, but I never particularly cared for Morrow's artwork, which seemed to be largely traced from photo reference and had kind of a weird texture to it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 07:48 PM   #101
Daddy Todd
Captain

I've recently re-read the first 16 issues (plus the Search for Spock adaptation, which comes right in the middle, between #8 & #9.)

The art sometimes looks rushed and slapdash, except for the Search adaptation, which is truly beautiful. Mike Barr's scripts can be all over the map; when reading a bunch together, it seems pretty clear he didn't always have the end game mapped out when he started a story arc (or else he was doing some of the best fake-outs ever.)

Despite the flaws, I really love these stories. They have a vigor and an electricity that no Star Trek comic before or since has surpassed. This series was the reason I first started visiting a comic book store. And I have to say I think it holds up really, really well.

The series declined in quality following #16, when Mike Barr stepped away and a succession of writers took over the title for a few years before Peter David got the regular gig. Some worked for me (Diane Duane) some didn't (Mike Carlin.) Peter David was doing amazing stuff for the last year or so before the end, but just as things were getting awesome again, the plug was pulled.

Subsequent Trek comics have generally had more polished art and tighter continuity with the Canon, but have never been as much pure fun, IMHO.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 03:36 PM   #102
indianatrekker26
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Another matter of taste. I like the story, but I never particularly cared for Morrow's artwork, which seemed to be largely traced from photo reference and had kind of a weird texture to it.
Agreed about Morrow's art, and to take it further, back then I couldn't stand how the interiors of the ships were never drawn even close to how they looked in the movies. Now I wonder if it is due to them not receiving any reference material.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 03:48 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer

^No, I think Sutton and Villagran just had their own improvisational approach to technology design. I came to see it as part of the charm of their work.

There was clearly some access to reference materials. If you look at issue #1, the Enterprise exterior isn't drawn quite right -- for instance, the hangar bay doors are rendered as an angular, clear dome. But in later issues, their rendering of the ship gets more accurate because they gained access to the necessary reference (I think I remember this even being stated in the letters page at one point).

But they were inconsistent in their use of references. When Spock's science ship Surak debuted, it was initially drawn to look like the Grissom, but in a later issue it was drawn like a smaller Excelsior and in another one it was just a vast rectangular slab festooned with radar dishes and technological greebles.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:19 PM   #104
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I liked how DC drew the Enterprise and Excelsior interiors. Those comics had a far more distinctive look than what came later.

And their Romulan ship innards (seen in the Doomsday Bug storyline) looked kinda like the Narada!
Old June 5 2013, 05:49 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral

I always liked the artwork for The Last Word, it really fit the story being told.