Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 2 2013, 11:37 AM   #136
Ubik
Commodore

Re: Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

I'm very glad he's leaving. I never liked the whole "quirky Mad Hatter" thing. Maybe it was never Smith's fault, maybe he was directed that way, but I've had it up to here with the "Doctor-as-Immature Clown" thing. The man is a thousand year-old scientist. To think that the Doctor is "properly mad", as Moffat once put it, is a misreading of, particularly, Tom Baker's Doctor. Even Baker's Doctor was serious-minded; when he acted like a clown, he did it, generally, to throw off his adversaries. The next Doctor needs to get the character out of the Scooby Doo world. There is absolutely no reason why the Doctor needs to be quirky or muddle-headed or say random juvenile things for no reason. It's not funny, it's not plausible, it's not entertaining.

I would love to see a Doctor who is intelligent and wise, who actually acts as experienced as he is. He can have emotional problems, sure, as Peter Davison and David Tennant did, but they should not be an adolescent in an adult's body (like Matt Smith was, and what Tom Baker only became in the weaker second half of his tenure.) There can be comedy in the show, of course, but it should absolutely not try to come from, "Hey, look! Look how crazy and wacky the Doctor is!" Relying on that, as Moffat and Smith have, has really, really, really not worked for me. The character at the centre of the show needs to be taken seriously.

With all of that said, I am absolutely ready for a female Doctor. I'm also sick of the whole "male hero with fawning sexy female helper who falls in love with him" thing. It's a male fantasy for teenagers, and it's stale. I'd love to see a smart, powerful female Doctor, maybe even with a male companion always asking, "What do you mean, Doctor?" Turn the tables, finally. They can absolutely find a wonderful actress to play the part, if they so chose.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:53 AM   #137
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
What I don't get is the need for all the misdirection. Okay, so the BBC's announcement of series 8 only mentioned Moffat, but Matt Smith said several times he was looking forward to another series and Jenna said her contract included series 8.

Makes me wonder if Matt wanted to do it but then changed his mind.
They might be counting the Christmas special and even possibly the 50th as part of series 8.

I just heard about this this morning, I had a feeling he'd announce leaving.

My first reaction was a bi of excitement as I do love a good regeneration story, then a bit of sadness as I've only just really jelled with Smiths Doctor and only really just got over Tennant's departure, and the final feeling was a feeling of dread as I realised Moffat is still on board for series 8 meaning the possibilities of a female doctor are higher than ever and possibly the highest they ever will be.

I really don't want a female doctor at all. That would just be so awful. If you asked someone in the street what doctor who was about, they'd probably say something like "it's about a man with a young girl or two traveling around time and space in a blue box". Now if we had a female doctor, she'd either be travelling around with a woman still (in this case Jenna Louise Coleman, she's still on for an eighth series), the cast would be to female dominated. If she travelled with a man, he'd most likely be a muscular man or one of these "pretty boys" and elderly relatives would keep getting confused and thinking he was the doctor, and he'd probably even make a better doctor so I'd trick myself into believing he's actually the doctor, and the only other option would be to have a man and woman travelling together as well. That'd mean an awful couple in the TARDIS again most likely like Rose and Mickey, and even worse, Amy and Rory. Families in the TARDIS don't work.

And even if a woman was cast right, they'd probably execute her wrong. I can imagine her stealing the sonic lipstick from Sarah Jane. And knowing Steven Moffat, he'll most likely make it corny as hell, he might even decorate the TARDIS effeminately. Diamond studded TARDIS console with pink roundels? I could imagine Moffat doing that. He's already made Smith wear purple after all.

No, my first choice for doctor #12 would be Idris Elba. He'd be the first black doctor and would bring a nice dark side to it like Eccleston did, even a bit more humour than him. Would be like Eccleston with a pinch of Tennant and even a hint of T. Baker. My second choice would be Being Human star Damien Molony. He's a relatively unknown and Being human is his only televised role so far, plus that's ended now, so I imagine Damien's schedule is pretty empty right now. He'd be very McGann like , and the humorous thing about him is that he'd be like someone's granddad and know nothing about stuff like modern pop culture. He'd probably think things like yoyos were cool with the kids. Smiths a bit like that too, but he's a bit more of a warm uncle figure. Molony would be utterly clueless about stuff like that and would be like that grandparent who buys their 15 year old grandchild a box or Lego or some other toy when they're already in their teens. My third choice would be Jason Fleyming. He'd be like a hybrid of Tennant and T. baker. He'd be a middle aged doctor like Moffat originally wanted to cast. He'd be humorous and a very warm character. Plus he'd be ginger, finally, a ginger doctor!!!!!!!!
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:05 PM   #138
Starkers
Admiral

Ubik, Smith isn't a child in a man's body he's an old man in a young man's body and for me he's played that perfectly, far better than Tennant who was not only more manic, but also more forced, he's so obviously trying too hard half the time. Good but Smith's been a far better Doctor for me

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:09 PM   #139
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

What I don't get is the need for all the misdirection. Okay, so the BBC's announcement of series 8 only mentioned Moffat, but Matt Smith said several times he was looking forward to another series and Jenna said her contract included series 8.

Makes me wonder if Matt wanted to do it but then changed his mind.
Virtually all the interviews I've seen w/ Smith talking about "one more year" and looking forward to another series, date back to before this year's semi-series began. So the "one more year" he was talking about, was likely this year, 2013.

Jenna's another matter. She likely will be around for the next season, much as Rose stuck around for the first series of Tennant. Having at least one familiar and friendly face hanging around for a while tends to make the transition from one Doctor to another a bit easier for audiences to make the adjustment.
Old June 2 2013, 12:11 PM   #140
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But it's an illusion that Jenna has been with us for any meaningful duration.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:13 PM   #141
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Well if she didn't stick around, she'd be the shortest running main companion of the revival series. She's brand new to the show, I wouldn't be surprised if she stuck around for the ninth series too.
Old June 2 2013, 12:15 PM   #142
Neroon
Mod of balance

Emh wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
Enough with the Chiwitel Ejifor/Idris Elba stuff. I wouldn't cast a black actor, simply because of that bloody academic paper.
Fuck that paper. Seriously, no one should even acknowledge such rubbish.

At the end of the day, Moffat and company should pick whichever actor who is best suited for the role.
I've only been touting Idris Elba because of Suranne Jones character's name in "The Doctor's Wife". It has nothing to do with that paper.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:18 PM   #143
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Adam lasted one trip.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:19 PM   #144
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Idris Elba would be a perfect doctor. Besides, white people are now a minority in London, so there's most likely other cities and towns with less white people than other races. So a black doctor would be a good move as it connects with children of different ethnics.

Besides I don't want Elba as the doctor just because he's black, I want him as the doctor because I think he'd do a good job.
Old June 2 2013, 12:21 PM   #145
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Adam lasted one trip.
Or two adventures.

I meant main companions which got like action figures and stuff. Do you remember a picture of Adam on the series 1 box set? Me neither. Jack on Doctor Who itself didn't last as long either (not counting his post Eccleston adventures though there). If you did though, Jack would be about the same as Coleman by now. By he never was really a main companion either.
Old June 2 2013, 12:52 PM   #146
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Idris Elba would be a perfect doctor. Besides, white people are now a minority in London, so there's most likely other cities and towns with less white people than other races. So a black doctor would be a good move as it connects with children of different ethnics.

Besides I don't want Elba as the doctor just because he's black, I want him as the doctor because I think he'd do a good job.
I'm a big fan of Elba, think he is a fantastic actor, but what examples of his work would you use to exemplify his suitability to the role of the Doctor?

I just really don't see why the obsession with him in particular.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:55 PM   #147
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Idris Elba would be a perfect doctor.
In what way? What parts has he played in the past that lead you to think he'd be a good Doctor? What idiosyncrasies of his are particularly Doctor-like? What are the elements of the Doctor's core characteristics that Idris Elba would be able to portray convincingly. In what way would he be "a perfect Doctor", besides the fact that he's talented?
Old June 2 2013, 12:59 PM   #148
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I would LOVE to see Alexander Siddig take a crack at the role, too.
That would be fucking incredible.

I don't want Idris Elba. I want an idiosyncratic, eccentric, off-beat performer. The Doctor shouldn't be played by a traditional TV leading man we see all the time. My ideal choice would be the bloke that plays Varys in Game of Thrones as a darker, manipulative, yet funny Doctor in the vein of the Seventh.

My only condition is that the next Doctor HAS to be older.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:04 PM   #149
Lonemagpie
Writer

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I would LOVE to see Alexander Siddig take a crack at the role, too.
That would be fucking incredible.

I don't want Idris Elba. I want an idiosyncratic, eccentric, off-beat performer. The Doctor shouldn't be played by a traditional TV leading man we see all the time. My ideal choice would be the bloke that plays Varys in Game of Thrones as a darker, manipulative, yet funny Doctor in the vein of the Seventh.

My only condition is that the next Doctor HAS to be older.
Varys looks too much like Dorium Maldovar, IMO - it'd be impossible to tell them apart!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:05 PM   #150
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, one is blue .
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote