Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 2 2013, 12:39 AM   #16
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]

Flake wrote: View Post
I think the Enterprise uses a quantum slipstream or transwarp drive in the reboot.
It's a Plot Speed Drive that runs on the rare mineral Wewritersdontgiveashitium.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:46 AM   #17
beamMe
Fleet Captain

The magic of movie editing really escapes you, doesn't it?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:58 AM   #18
Wereghost
Commodore

I think STID does have a cut in the Earth-to-Qo'noS trip, so the only reliable indicator of the trip time is probably Scott's quip about being gone for only one day. Taken at face value, this means that the Enterprise can get from the vicinity of Earth to the vicinity of Qo'noS and back in less than a day, and so is probably at least an order of magnitude faster than the NX-01 (four days one-way according to Broken Bow).

It's speed-of-plot, and the slower speeds are the anomalous ones.
Old June 2 2013, 01:31 AM   #19
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Wereghost wrote: View Post
I think STID does have a cut in the Earth-to-Qo'noS trip, so the only reliable indicator of the trip time is probably Scott's quip about being gone for only one day. Taken at face value, this means that the Enterprise can get from the vicinity of Earth to the vicinity of Qo'noS and back in less than a day, and so is probably at least an order of magnitude faster than the NX-01 (four days one-way according to Broken Bow).

It's speed-of-plot, and the slower speeds are the anomalous ones.
He says "one day". But have you noticed how long his "three minutes" lasted?

The simple fact is, we don't know how much time passes to get from point A to point B.
Old June 2 2013, 01:34 AM   #20
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

beamMe wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Its the only workable explanation for the travel time to Kronos of approximately two minutes.
Film editing, it's a difficult concept.
The magic of movie editing really escapes you, doesn't it?
Same message as in the other thread: make your point about what someone has posted without making insinuations about the person who posted it. If you are unable to post without taking swipes at other posters, then perhaps you ought to seriously consider not posting at all.
Old June 2 2013, 05:47 AM   #21
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

The simple fact is, we don't know how much time passes to get from point A to point B.
Most of the time, you're correct. But coming back from the edge of Klingon space, we go from McCoy saying "at least we're moving again" to Carol Marcus running to the bridge to Sulu getting a reading he can't understand. That's not much time and a cut doesn't make sense anywhere in there.

I know, I know...McCoy might have made his statement hours after they zoomed off at warp. But, if that's the case, why does it take a ship three times faster hours to catch the Enterprise at warp?

It's just poorly thought out.
Old June 2 2013, 10:23 AM   #22
beamMe
Fleet Captain

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Most of the time, you're correct. But coming back from the edge of Klingon space, we go from McCoy saying "at least we're moving again" to Carol Marcus running to the bridge to Sulu getting a reading he can't understand. That's not much time and a cut doesn't make sense anywhere in there.

I know, I know...McCoy might have made his statement hours after they zoomed off at warp. But, if that's the case, why does it take a ship three times faster hours to catch the Enterprise at warp?

It's just poorly thought out.
Finding the right warp-channel, synchronising the warp-field to that channel.
I don't know. I could technobabble an explanation.

In the end, I just don't care.
Old June 2 2013, 10:33 AM   #23
Belz...
Fleet Captain

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Right. It's near-impossible to reconcile with anything resembling logic. But, plot-wise it makes sense. I didn't expect them to be that close to Earth when they dropped out of warp.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I don't see the problem with the apparent travel time between Earth and Qo'noS. If memory serves, the ship goes to warp near Earth, Kirk gives his "let's get this sumbitch" speech, there's a cut to the exterior of the Enterprise warping (which denotes time has passed) then the ship gets thrown out of warp. There's no telling how much time passed from Kirk's speech to when the ship exits warp...or how far Kirk and Co. had to travel in Mudd's ship to get to the planet.

People need to chill out...
Old June 2 2013, 10:50 AM   #25
OpenMaw
Commander

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I don't see the problem with the apparent travel time between Earth and Qo'noS. If memory serves, the ship goes to warp near Earth, Kirk gives his "let's get this sumbitch" speech, there's a cut to the exterior of the Enterprise warping (which denotes time has passed) then the ship gets thrown out of warp. There's no telling how much time passed from Kirk's speech to when the ship exits warp...or how far Kirk and Co. had to travel in Mudd's ship to get to the planet.
It's not really the first warp jump that was kinda "huh..." It was the fact that the return trip was literally snap your fingers fast.

People are entitled to their opinions and can ask questions without it being implied that they are not "chill" about it. It is a curiousity, and while yes Trek has at times played fast and loose with warp speed. It's clearly MUCH faster in the JJ verse.
Old June 2 2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The problem is the trip back to Earth, Flux, not the other one.

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
It's clearly MUCH faster in the JJ verse.
Though in Star Trek V....

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 2 2013, 05:09 PM   #27
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The Enterprise in TOS and TAS visited the rim of the galaxy twice ("Where No Man..." and "By Any Other Name"), and the centre of the galaxy ("Magicks of Megas Tu") like it was nothing. By Voyager's standards, they would have been lifelong trips.
For the trips out of the galaxy, that's assuming that they went "horizontal" along the galactic plane. If they went "vertical" (at a right angle to the galactic plane), the galaxy is only a few parsecs thick in Earth's vicinity, IIRC. Which explains how and why the Valiant had left the galaxy so soon after the discovery of warp drive. Even at the low warp speeds of the time, it was a relatively simple thing to do.

And the engines were souped up by the Kelvans in "By Any Other Name", so that a transgalactic journey was feasible.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 06:02 PM   #28
OpenMaw
Commander

Belz... wrote: View Post

Though in Star Trek V....
Can we just forget that ever happened, please?
Old June 2 2013, 06:40 PM   #29
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Oh, no. We must not forget the pain.

Old June 2 2013, 07:01 PM   #30
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

"We need our pain!"
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote