Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 2 2013, 03:33 AM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: One Year Gap (spoilers, kinda)

BillJ wrote: View Post
boobatuba wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I don't think there was anything ambiguous about Kirk's "one year ago" at all. He plainly said that the previous events of STID had occurred a year before the final scene.
^This. He describes how they are paying homage to those who lost their lives a year ago. Only the fan-wankiest of fans could re-interpret such a clear reference.
You know where you are?
North Fanwank, New Jersey?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:05 AM   #32
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I've seen the movie three times and I'm still not certain if the "one year ago" was in reference to the events of STID or to Kirk's reciting the captain's oath before Pike.
Old June 2 2013, 05:30 AM   #33
DredZed
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kirk's speech was this:

"There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves.

Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that's not who we are.

We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives nearly one year ago.

When Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the captain's oath. Words I didn't appreciate at the time. Now, I see them as a call for us to remember who we once were, and who we must be again."

He's definitely referring to the events of Into Darkness as happening "nearly one year ago." The part about Pike and the captains oath is a distinctly separate sentence.
DredZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:14 AM   #34
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Yep, saw it yesterday, that is indeed how it is said.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:26 PM   #35
The Wormhole
Admiral

DredZed wrote: View Post
Kirk's speech was this:

"There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves.

Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that's not who we are.

We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives nearly one year ago.

When Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the captain's oath. Words I didn't appreciate at the time. Now, I see them as a call for us to remember who we once were, and who we must be again."

He's definitely referring to the events of Into Darkness as happening "nearly one year ago." The part about Pike and the captains oath is a distinctly separate sentence.
Thing is, to me anyway, Chris Pine's delivery kind of makes it sound like:

"We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives. Nearly one year ago, when Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the captain's oath..."

Indeed, since IDW seems to be unaware of a year's gap, perhaps they too were confused? Although, in their case, you'd think the script would be made available and the way the speech was written would make it clear what was meant to be said.
Old June 2 2013, 01:52 PM   #36
beamMe
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

"We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives. Nearly one year ago, when Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the captain's oath..."
No.
The other version up-thread is correct.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:09 PM   #37
The Wormhole
Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post

No.
I'm not disputing which one is correct. I'm just saying the way it's delivered can cause confusion, and clearly has.
Old June 2 2013, 02:23 PM   #38
beamMe
Fleet Captain

No.
I'm not disputing which one is correct. I'm just saying the way it's delivered can cause confusion, and clearly has.
There is a lot going on in that movie. You can miss the most obvious things, like Khan being the one who cripples the Enterprise so that she loses all her power.

But the delivery of that line doesn't cause any confusion.
Old June 2 2013, 03:35 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

There was simply no way they could've refitted the Enterprise in a week. Which is all the time they would've had if we go with the interpretation that the speech was one year after the first film.
Old June 2 2013, 04:14 PM   #40
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

When I saw the film the first time, I thought Kirk was talking about the events of the 2009 film. If you don't want to read into/believe that interpretation, that's your right to do so. But I do believe it is ambiguous, after having seen the film again. That being said, the IDW timeline on the website has a couple of issues that need fixing.

Maybe Orci can clarify it (or not).
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:25 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't think it's ambiguous, especially when you look at all the time related dialogue in the film.
Old June 2 2013, 04:30 PM   #42
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

There is a lot going on in that movie. You can miss the most obvious things, like Khan being the one who cripples the Enterprise so that she loses all her power.

I missed that - how and where does he do it?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 05:24 PM   #43
beamMe
Fleet Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

I missed that - how and where does he do it?
After he beams Kirk, Dr. Marcus and Scotty back to the Enterprise.
Old June 2 2013, 06:51 PM   #44
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

there had been a lot of victims in the 2009 movie too, a whole planet destroyed plus all the spaceships Nero destroyed. We never saw a scene where they were remembering those victims so couldn't Kirk be talking about ALL the victims, past and present? Also would they have Pike's (along with all the other victims) funeral one year after his death?
IDK but the explanation that Kirk could be talking about the battle of vulcan + recent events makes sense to me. Also the idea of him growing up as a captain in the last year.

Honestly the one year gap doesn't make so much sense to me. What the characters did in that year? Are we supposed to know, at all? It's just weird.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
The comics aren't 'canon' so they can say what they like. But one week after the movie is one week after Kirk sets out on the 5 year mission which is a year after 'The Vengeance' crashed into San Fran.

I don't think its Fan Wank to want to sort out the dates though, just to be obsessed about them. I prefer the term fanon which I learnt here.
they aren't canon but they're super-visioned and controlled by Orci who considers them sort of canon for this very reason.

The novelization by Alan Dean foster doesn't have this one year gab either and it's based on a draft of the script (though not all the scenes are accurate and there are some missing things but those can be explained with a) Alan making his own writing choices b) scenes that were in the most definitive draft that Alan didn't have c) scenes being put in the notes or alternate scenes)

I read some people over trekmovie asking the writers about this but either I missed it or Orci didn't answer.

Indeed, since IDW seems to be unaware of a year's gap, perhaps they too were confused? Although, in their case, you'd think the script would be made available and the way the speech was written would make it clear what was meant to be said.
If not the script surely Orci would tell them about it.
The first comic has a scene with Robert April and one with the klingons talking about Kirk and it's pretty obvious from the way the events are depicted that there isn't a one year gab from a to b. Weeks, months? acceptavble but one whole year without nothing happening in the mean time and things beings still the same? not believable to me.
Old June 2 2013, 07:00 PM   #45
MacLeod
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Kirk was obviously taking refresher courses on the Prime Directive and Report Writing.
More like re-writing those text books.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote