Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old October 27 2012, 11:35 PM   #16
jayrath
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Botany Lab = "Outdoor" Recreation Area?

We were to see the ship's arboretum in "And the Children Shall Lead" and "Elaan of Troyus." If memory serves, the scenes were cut, though stills culled from frames survive. We at least heard about it in "The Man Trap" and finally saw it in "Is There in Truth No Beauty."
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 05:54 AM   #17
Albertese
Commodore

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post

Well, if you're still lurking about Albertese, I'll extend an olive branch, and meet you half way.

Thanks TIN_MAN. I apologize for coming down with such hostility. After all, it's only a tv show. We had a death in the family a couple weeks ago and I think I was kinda taking it out on you guys in this thread, which is hardly appropriate.

Anyhow, I checked out the FJ deck 18 drawings and I see what you mean. I'm sure that area is his version of the Herbarium area in ATCSL and ITITNB.

I don't really hold to the FJ plans, and my biggest problem with them is probably this very area aft of the sensor/deflector dish. Just seems like there should be some sort of machinery back there for the dish instead of the random unrelated business he put in there...

--Alex
Old November 2 2012, 11:03 PM   #18
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

No problem Alex, sorry for your loss.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:46 PM   #19
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

As for whether the Herbarium was a standing set, I still say it was. I worked in the theater business building sets, so I’m very well aware of how sets are used and stored; and being an original TOS fan since the Sixties, I’ve certainly been around long enough to know how the Trek production handled their set requirements. So unless I see an original memo or an interview that says otherwise, I’ll remain unconvinced that it was anything other than a permanent addition to the other standing sets, as was the case with the auxiliary control room and emergency manual monitor.

Ralph Senensky, director of "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" had this to say in his blog:

"There were no locations required to film this episode. In fact the entire show would be filmed in the Enterprise set on Stage 9 except for one four page scene in a herbarium set on swing stage 8."

http://ralph-senensky.blogspot.com/2...july-1968.html
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:10 AM   #20
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Thanks, but I'm not sure that helps much? We already knew the set was on stage 8, but other than this being the place where their “planet surface of the week” sets were built, there’s still nothing to preclude the possibility that the recreation area was not a permanent “standing” set, tucked away in a corner of that soundstage somewhere?

Now, the adjoining “herbarium” set which we never saw, because it was never built, was most probably going to be a temporary affair of flats and door frames assembled at a moments notice, but then was never really needed, so…?

On the other hand, I can see how the recreation area set could have been cleverly built to be quickly assembled and then “struck” and stored away until next time? Perhaps they just left it up unless or until they really needed the space, at this point who knows?
Old June 1 2013, 03:23 AM   #21
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I put together a little article about the new, third season "Recreation Room" set.

I welcome feedback.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2825

Last edited by GSchnitzer; June 1 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old June 1 2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Albertese
Commodore

Nice article. I look forward to reading about all those other sets you've mentioned.

It's always for for me to watch any Star Trek production (not just TOS) and ID the sets they're redressing. It's amazing how much mileage they can get out of this stuff!

--Alex
Old June 2 2013, 04:40 AM   #23
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

@ GSchnitzer

As you correctly pointed out the large third season set is the recreation room, not the arboretum which is often confused with, but as I mentioned up thread, the arboretum was sketched out by MJ as an adjoining set which was apparently never built, although some planter/tables intended for that set were built and were seen in “Is There In Truth, No Beauty” in which the large rec room was featured.

Anywho, great article, look forward to more like it!
Old June 2 2013, 04:58 AM   #24
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

@ GSchnitzer

As you correctly pointed out the large third season set is the recreation room, not the arboretum which is often confused with, but as I mentioned up thread, the arboretum was sketched out by MJ as an adjoining set which was apparently never built, although some planter/tables intended for that set were built and were seen in “Is There In Truth, No Beauty” in which the large rec room was featured.

Well, the "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" set wasn't an arboretum, it was a herbarium. (They're actually different things.) The First Draft script has some valuable comments about it--as well as an earlier scene--that didn't survive to the final script. More on that later.
Old June 2 2013, 05:10 AM   #25
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

^^Yes I meant to say "Herbarium' as the adjoining set was called in MJ’s sketches, but in any case, regardless of what it was called in the script for ITITNB, it was actually a reuse of the large rec room set, and was not the adjoining set that MJ had intended.
Old August 12 2013, 04:28 PM   #26
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
@ GSchnitzer

Well, the "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" set wasn't an arboretum, it was a herbarium. (They're actually different things.) The First Draft script has some valuable comments about it--as well as an earlier scene--that didn't survive to the final script. More on that later.
Here's a follow-up to my Rec Room write-up. This one is about the Herbarium set.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=3568
Old August 12 2013, 04:40 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral

Doesn't that put a bit too much emphasis on the idea of the "No Beauty" set being a "herbarium" and a "fragile" and even "dangerous" location, when these aspects were completely erased from the final episode?

It should probably be pointed out at some point that there was neither a herbarium nor an arboretum in the episode, merely a nondescript room with living flowers matching all the specifications of a previously seen recreational indoors garden.

If the seduction scene is considered secure and secluded by Kirk, it's probably because he posted a guard somewhere nearby with orders not to let anybody in...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Great article, Greg and quite an eye-opener regarding the restricted character of the Herbarium.

According to the latest update in my deck plan thread I said that the Herbarium will / has to be on Main Deck 5 for a number of reasons, and you just provided the one I consider final and decisive. Thanks!

Obviously the Herbarium belongs to the "Life Sciences Department Botany Section" and apparently this is a section of research and study with limited or restricted access to the "public".
I admit I hadn't given that much thought before, but if it weren't restricted I can imagine many female crew members thinking "just one flower less will be no harm" and by the end of the day the place is empty.

Probably the only excuse to remove flowers from in there is for weddings or funerals. Now I just have to figure out where they grow the celery Janice and Kirk have been seen eating.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 01:43 PM   #29
Mytran
Fleet Captain

TMOST mentions this I think - massive refrigeration facilities!

But the article is indeed a good one - it's fascinating to learn that they were intended as different locations. Was there ANY part of the set that wasn't redressed as something else as one point? Even the Bridge got this treatment (albeit to look like another bridge, but still...)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 02:40 PM   #30
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Mytran wrote: View Post
TMOST mentions this I think - massive refrigeration facilities!

But the article is indeed a good one - it's fascinating to learn that they were intended as different locations. Was there ANY part of the set that wasn't redressed as something else as one point? Even the Bridge got this treatment (albeit to look like another bridge, but still...)
I haven't really thought about it, but I don't think the transporter room was ever anything other than the transporter room.