Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 2 2013, 03:13 AM   #91
Vyse
Lieutenant

Re: Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

A shame, I was hoping for one more series from him. When they first announced him, I was extremely skeptical, but he has become my favorite Doctor from the modern era.

But more importantly, I want to have 14 episodes a year again. I'm tired of getting so few episodes a year.

Also, very little chance of this, but Richard Ayoade would be cool in the part.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:15 AM   #92
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
And there goes another one. Matt Smith is the Doctor that really seemed to appeal to the American audiences, since it was under his term the show really started building popularity in the US. It'll be interesting to see how the next Doctor goes over with Americans.
I don't really think it was Matt Smith...I think that Doctor Who has steadily been building a US fanbase since the start of the new Series. NuWho had a build-in audience in over yonder, but over here it pretty much had to start from scratch. Those people that liked it shared it with their friends, who then shared it with their friends, and so on, until finally it was kinda-sorta heard of.
Old June 2 2013, 03:19 AM   #93
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Someone new please. Not Cumberbatch. I've seen him too much already.

And I don't want Jenna to leave. Let's hope her "exclusive quotes" tomorrow aren't that she's also leaving. We just MET Clara, even though Jenna was cast a year ago.

I'm wondering about this, really. Did Matt always plan this or did he really have an argument with Moffat during the 50th filming? Did he have a heart to heart with David Tennant because he was thinking of leaving and Tennant said 'It's better to leave when they'll miss you.'? Did the gap between this and series 8 push him toward the door?
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:26 AM   #94
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Klaus wrote: View Post
No way they'll do a woman... I just don't see it.
I think it's most likely to happen as a desperation move on the part of the BBC -- ratings are soft, the production is troubled, the audience isn't engaged, let's do something groundbreaking to get people talking again.

Wait. I've just described the current situation...

To be honest, while I'd like to see a female Doctor, I'm not sure I want to see Steven Moffat be the one to write and develop the first female Doctor. Though he would finally be in a position to slay the Bechdel Test Monster that has vexed his era if he had a female Doctor.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:29 AM   #95
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Why? In 50 years they've never had a woman, so they shouldn't have one now? There's something in regeneration that prohibits a sex change? If that was the case how come in all the incarnations that I've seen (Tennant and Smith), one of the first things they do is look in the mirror and be glad they were in human form and not something else? Maybe I just don't know how Regeneration works, but if you're changing into another body or form, it shouldn't be conducive to one kind, should it?
Old June 2 2013, 03:35 AM   #96
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Why? In 50 years they've never had a woman, so they shouldn't have one now? There's something in regeneration that prohibits a sex change? If that was the case how come in all the incarnations that I've seen (Tennant and Smith), one of the first things they do is look in the mirror and be glad they were in human form and not something else? Maybe I just don't know how Regeneration works, but if you're changing into another body or form, it shouldn't be conducive to one kind, should it?
It was stated in The Doctor's Wife that gender can change with regeneration. So, no there's no IN story reason that it can't happen.

But, I think Klaus was saying they won't make that choice. TV success breeds the desire to NOT take risks. And casting the Doctor as a woman... I think for many they would see that as a risk.
Old June 2 2013, 03:35 AM   #97
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Exactly -- I'm not against it, but I don't think they'd have the cojones [ovaries? ] to change things up that radically...

...and I do think Clara should stay, especially since she would seem to have the easiest time dealing with the regeneration since she's seen all of them and wouldn't be shocked by the concept.

Though if she did stay and the Doctor became female, it'd be sort of like when Beverly Crusher fell for the Trill who switched genders lol...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:44 AM   #98
The Wormhole
Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
I'm wondering about this, really. Did Matt always plan this or did he really have an argument with Moffat during the 50th filming? Did he have a heart to heart with David Tennant because he was thinking of leaving and Tennant said 'It's better to leave when they'll miss you.'? Did the gap between this and series 8 push him toward the door?
I see no reason to give those rumours any serious consideration. Smith has done three complete seasons, which on average is how long most Doctors stick around. It's the length of terms held by Hartnell, Troughton, Davison, McCoy, Tennant and now Smith. Going out on a limb, I'd say Smith's contract expires at the end of the year and he's choosing not to renew it, feeling the time is right to move on with his career.
Old June 2 2013, 04:00 AM   #99
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
And there goes another one. Matt Smith is the Doctor that really seemed to appeal to the American audiences, since it was under his term the show really started building popularity in the US. It'll be interesting to see how the next Doctor goes over with Americans.

Also, I'm sure the Eleventh will continue to be active in novels or even audio dramas, if/when Big Finish gets the license to do the new series. After all, the Eleventh is one of the few to have a gap period during his run, and with him its a couple hundred years.
Honestly (speaking as U.S. fan) - he was the doctor I've liked least in the new run. My favorite of the new Doctors was Tennant (he's in a tie with Tom Baker for my all time favorite Doctor.) YMMV.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:05 AM   #100
Anachronus
Commodore

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Did he have a heart to heart with David Tennant because he was thinking of leaving and Tennant said 'It's better to leave when they'll miss you.'?
That is to me a very plausible explanation.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:21 AM   #101
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I know this is probably never going to happen, but I just dreamt of a season that goes back to the time of John Hurt's Doctor.
Old June 2 2013, 04:34 AM   #102
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Sad news but hardly unexpected. In this day and age, there's no way an actor will stay in the role as long as Tom Baker did. Considering David "Biggest Who Fan" Tennant stayed in the role for four years, I didn't really expect Matt Smith to go much further.

As for the next actor play The Doctor, I know that I and everyone else here won't be able accurately guess who it will be (at the end of the day, it'll be someone most of us haven't heard of), but that won't stop me from speculating or dreaming.

These days I find myself hoping for the likes of Idris Elba and Ben Daniels (and not just because of the recurring rumors), but for old time's sake, I have to throw out Eddie Izzard and Alexander Siddig, too. Also, Hugh Laurie to Stephen Fry's The Master would be incredible. I would die and go to heaven if any of those fine actors were cast as The Twelfth Doctor.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by Emh; June 2 2013 at 08:23 AM.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:45 AM   #103
Neroon
Mod of balance

For the truly fun confusion factor, how about Idris Elba?
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 05:01 AM   #104
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
stoneroses wrote: View Post
Somebody older next time please.
agreed.
Patricia Routledge?

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...