Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 28 2013, 04:03 PM   #91
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

The TOS nacelles, with their glowing, lit up, spinning things, were conspicuously dynamic and interesting features of the ship. The TMP Enterprise took all that away, to be replaced by other dynamic elements: the jump-to-warp effect and the intermix chamber on the inside being obvious examples. So, a certain level of "outrage" was to be expected from some quarters.
Old May 31 2013, 06:19 AM   #92
OpenMaw
Commander

I was four years old when I saw The Motion Picture. It was my first Star Trek experience. Sitting in the living room, watching it on a moderately sized screen. It was the VHS extended edition. I was unfamiliar with anything else Star Trek, and it wasn't until my step dad told me about TOS and TNG that I really became familiar with bigger Trek.

The TMP Enterprise will probably always be 'my' star ship Enterprise. Nothing will ever do better in my mind. The balance, the colors, the shapes, the lighting. It all snaps, and feels just right. She's a beautiful design and I can't imagine anyone actually "hating" it. Opinions are opinions of course, and everyone is entitled to their own. I just can't really imagine it. As equally as i'd love to meet Shatner or Nimoy, i'd also love to be able to take a close look at the original Motion Picture model.

After watching TMP on a loop three times, I actually pulled out my big plastic bin of lego's, and began building the bridge, the enterprise, Klingon battle cruisers, and having adventures with Kirk and Spock. Shortly thereafter the local TV stations were having marathons and 'megathons' of TOS and TNG. A great big new frontier.

Someday I hope to have my own house, and in that house will be a hobby room of some sort, and hanging beneath a black painted ceiling, dotted with glow in the dark flecks of paint and hand painted nebula, will be a reasonably sized scale USS Enterprise Refit.
Old June 1 2013, 08:27 AM   #93
Workbee
Commander

When I first saw the new design, I loved it. I missed the colored nacelle caps as others have mentioned. It took me a while to warm up to the black strips on the sides of the nacelles, but I wasn't bothered by the change on the outside. Actually, my first thought was the engines were still under construction and the black parts would have been covered by the time it launched. I even liked the changes in all the sets.

What did bother me was, after building up the new enterprise almost like a character, calling it "her" and "she", the computer now had a very harsh mechanical male voice with this abrasive buzzer. I realize that ships being "female" is just navel tradition, and the computer voice is technically a separate thing. But I think the fact that computer was heard so frequently through the film (always bringing bad news), coupled with the very sterile look of the interior sets, gave me the sense that the new Enterprise was a very cold and dangerous place to be. Unlike the TOS enterprise, where even thought there was danger in space, the Enterprise felt like a home. The new Enterprise felt like a deathtrap. People dying in transporter beams, warp engine imbalance. To me this was NOT the same ship that brought Kirk and crew back home safely after 5 years.

Which, to an extent, I believe was the intent of the film. However it was so much that it lost any connection in my mind with the TOS enterprise. I think had there been more time, much of these would have been ironed out in the sound mixing process. What we got in the DE I think helps a lot with making the computer female again and changing the Red alert to more of a siren (though I wish they just would stay with the classic red alert sound from TOS). But even without changing the sound effect, Star Trek II and III made much more selective use of that TMP red alert klaxon / buzzer (so much so that it almost blends in with the music in III).

-WB
Workbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:56 AM   #94
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:11 PM   #95
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Workbee wrote: View Post
What did bother me was, after building up the new enterprise almost like a character, calling it "her" and "she", the computer now had a very harsh mechanical male voice with this abrasive buzzer. I realize that ships being "female" is just navel tradition, and the computer voice is technically a separate thing. But I think the fact that computer was heard so frequently through the film (always bringing bad news), coupled with the very sterile look of the interior sets, gave me the sense that the new Enterprise was a very cold and dangerous place to be. Unlike the TOS enterprise, where even thought there was danger in space, the Enterprise felt like a home. The new Enterprise felt like a deathtrap. People dying in transporter beams, warp engine imbalance. To me this was NOT the same ship that brought Kirk and crew back home safely after 5 years.

Which, to an extent, I believe was the intent of the film. However it was so much that it lost any connection in my mind with the TOS enterprise. I think had there been more time, much of these would have been ironed out in the sound mixing process.
Well said, and I agree with these points, although the change did not in and of itself bother me. The "bad news" announcements were overly repetitive, which was a problem, and I expect that would have been one of the things ironed out in post, given more time.

Also, personally, I think that the various attempts in the DE to alter that ambiance were both misguided and unsuccessful.

That ambiance was intentional, and I don't think it was quite taken far enough. On the board, I've commented before about how there's a thematic connection between the transporter accident and Ilia's digitization. I think it might have been a missed opportunity to develop that connection explicitly, with at least some discussion of how Federation technology was moving towards what V'Ger was capable of (compared with where we are today, in the real world). That would have justified the tense and nervous feeling conveyed by the ship's interiors, it would have made the statement about the V'Ger/Decker fusion being a possible next step in our evolution less of a throwaway line, and it would have given greater depth to the film's tagline about the human adventure just beginning.
Old June 1 2013, 11:58 PM   #96
SpHeRe31459
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Also, personally, I think that the various attempts in the DE to alter that ambiance were both misguided and unsuccessful.
Glad I'm not the only one. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn't match the bridge noises from II and III, rather the DE producers used the library of sounds built for the 1701-A's bridge as seen in V and VI, which are quite different.

And I find that I miss the computer auditory feedback that was there in the theatrical version. I agree it was a bit much, male instead of being female, and probably could and should have been dialed back. But the idea seems sound, it was reporting the status of things that were automatically monitored. Something we hear the TNG main computer do more, such as when it automatically reports radiation exposure warnings, etc.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:52 AM   #97
Workbee
Commander

Sorry.. I am probably going a bit OT here, but I wanted to clarify better.

I have since warmed up to the male computer voice. Missed it too in the DE -- especially during that first transporter accident (which I think is the first time you would hear it). The new computer voice just didn't give you the same sense of "oh shit... someone fucked up and people are going to die"

Looking back, by the first intruder alert (when Ilia gets zapped) it felt like too much. Up to that point was enough. Just off the top of my head, I can't think of any episode where they go to red alert more than 2 times. And now, only an hour into the movie we already heard it 4 times. This also created problems for the film. The intruder alert could easily have been announced by Spock or Chekov. Especially since this was at the tail end of the long vejur flyover -- more dialogue was desperately needed. At this point, the use of the computer voice had likely accomplished what it set out to do:

1) Reinforce the differences from the old ship to further convey Kirk's initial unfamiliarity and awkwarness.
2) Provide a sense that ship was not yet ready having been rushed at Kirk's orders, making it unsafe. After Spock arrives and repairs the warp drive, no other systems are shown to malfunction or be non operational (save for the panel that Spock smashes). Essentially, from this point on the ship is shown to have achieved a desired level of readiness. At this point, the continual alarms should have been unnecessary. All further alerts resulted from either external factors or mission driven requirements. I think dramatically, the film would be better served had these alerts been raised by the crew. From the interception in the cloud to when the Ilia probe arrives, I feel like the crew are just passengers along for the ride. With most of the plot developments being announced by the computer, it makes the crew look like they were just reacting to things after the fact.

To bring this back on topic, my issues weren't so much about these new elements, but how they kept the characters from feeling (to me) like and integral part of the ships crew. Though the concept is sound for computer announcements, I think they inadvertently shortchanged some of the characters by losing their lines to this unseen voice.
Old June 2 2013, 02:01 AM   #98
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

(which I think is the first time you would hear it)
IIRC, the first time you hear it is in the announcement of an auxiliary power test in two minutes, as Kirk is entering Engineering, before the transporter accident.

Edit: Although now it just sorta came back to me that maybe there's a message about the pod being secure, when Kirk and Scotty first dock on the Enterprise?

The only copy I have is the DE, so that's kinda frustrating to me!

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; June 2 2013 at 02:32 AM.
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:28 AM   #99
scotpens
Vice Admiral

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
. . . When Robert Abel's FX clmalnu was let go (and Richard Taylor with it), Trumbull retained Probert and added a few things of his own . . .
What's a "clmalnu"?
Old June 2 2013, 03:45 AM   #100
Workbee
Commander

@CorporalCaptain: Yes, you are right. Forgot about those.

A thought just occured to me (now this is really OT) -- did the auxiliary power test play a part in the transporter malfunction? IIRC, when Kirk first engineering, the computer announces the auxiliary power test is in 2 minutes (or something to that effect). It seems like the transporter accident happened within a couple minutes of that.
Old June 2 2013, 04:04 AM   #101
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

@CorporalCaptain: Yes, you are right. Forgot about those.

A thought just occured to me (now this is really OT) -- did the auxiliary power test play a part in the transporter malfunction? IIRC, when Kirk first engineering, the computer announces the auxiliary power test is in 2 minutes (or something to that effect). It seems like the transporter accident happened within a couple minutes of that.
Yeah, I always suspected that, too. Again, the DE axed the computer voice, so I can't definitely tell, but if I remember correctly about when the announcement is, the accident happens a little over two minutes after the mark of two minutes until the test, so it would seem that the test could have had something to do with the accident.

I also now clearly remember the computer announcing that there's a travel pod available after Kirk and Scott arrive.
Old June 2 2013, 05:34 AM   #102
Workbee
Commander

Yep... God.... that would annoy the hell out of me if I had to listen to that computer voice anounce everything like that. I guess in universe we can assume that Kirk didn't have a chance to customize the ship's "default preferences" because of the emergency, but by the time of TWOK they had been adjusted, hence no adjustments for travel pods or such by the computer in that movie.
Old June 2 2013, 06:36 AM   #103
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Or maybe the "help" system was set to max because the ship wasn't certified fully operational.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 06:45 AM   #104
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
. . . When Robert Abel's FX clmalnu was let go (and Richard Taylor with it), Trumbull retained Probert and added a few things of his own . . .
What's a "clmalnu"?
company
Old June 2 2013, 07:36 AM   #105
SpHeRe31459
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Yeah, I always suspected that, too. Again, the DE axed the computer voice, so I can't definitely tell, but if I remember correctly about when the announcement is, the accident happens a little over two minutes after the mark of two minutes until the test, so it would seem that the test could have had something to do with the accident.
Which really makes you wonder what happened to the fail-safes on the transporter if this affect it?
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote