Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 2 2013, 02:00 AM   #121
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: STAR TREK: a series treatment starring APRIL and COLT

zekkie wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

nah. i think it's good advice. in fact, i think i have far less leverage in a traditional approach.
You've created a legal minefield that CBS simply won't touch. If someone here gives you advice that you incorporate into your "series", they can sue both you and CBS for creator credits and cash.

You doomed yourself the moment you clicked 'Submit New Thread'.
i disagree, and feel that every approach of mine can be managed/mitigated.
If you really think that, then you're wrong.

If you're serious about being a professional screenwriter (forget Trek). Then were I you: I'd get my ass into a film business class, a writing class, and find an entertainment lawyer who will advice you on what you're dong wrong or audit a class on entertainment law.

He's right, you've nearly fucked yourself and you don't even see or want to admit it.
Old June 2 2013, 02:00 AM   #122
Belz...
Fleet Captain

i have never pitched a script, but i have yet to try. but i've been a lobbyist, and i can study an path and find my way to my goals...and it's been a 'new years goal' of mine to get back to fiction writing, and elaborate upon ideas i've had in the hopper over the past 15-20 years.
I don't think the question is really about your ability but simply your outline.

i've got no shame in my reactions, either.
Here's another bit of advice, then: those reactions, in a professional environment, could cost you your victory.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:02 AM   #123
Maurice
Vice Admiral

As someone who deals with entertainment lawyers all the time, I have to say it's NOT a good idea to put work like this out in the public for a number of reasons. Lawyers and lawsuits are expensive, so most media companies won't touch anything where the ownership/authorship is even slightly questionable. It's simply not worth the risk. At best they'd go, "well, that kind of show might work, let's call [known successful producer in the genre] in to see if he has interest coming up with a show in that vein with our I.P." A writer in such a position has no recourse because a genre or type of show isn't something protected under Copyright, especially if it's something as vague as "a sitcom version of Lost In Space".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:05 AM   #124
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Thanks for the insight, Maurice.

I'm just curious what the point of this thread was?
Old June 2 2013, 02:07 AM   #125
SeerSGB
Admiral

A bit of advice I got ages back: Never compare your project to another project. The minute you say "Well my book(show) is like <other popular book/show>", you've already biased them to think you're ripping off someone else. You should be able to sell your work its merits, not by comparing it to other works.

Plus, how do you know they've seen Farscape or Lost In Space. How you know they've even seen Star Trek for that matter.
Old June 2 2013, 02:08 AM   #126
zekkie
Rear Admiral

View zekkie's Twitter Profile

i disagree, and feel that every approach of mine can be managed/mitigated.[/QUOTE]

CBS legal might say otherwise.[/QUOTE]

yes, true, and when/if i have to, i (my attorney) will detail for them the entirety of my online self promotion efforts. there's a number of methods with which to protect myself and CBS. WGA registration was a step.

if it doesn't get bought, it simply doesn't get bought.
life goes on; i tried.

my story involves the use of Chris Pine et al, in time/age sensitive roles. if it doesn't stick, it goes away, or it finds another medium/format and licensing attempt.
zekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:10 AM   #127
BillJ
Admiral

Pocket Books (the current book license holder) simply won't touch anything that's been discussed in an online environment.
Old June 2 2013, 02:11 AM   #128
zekkie
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
i have never pitched a script, but i have yet to try. but i've been a lobbyist, and i can study an path and find my way to my goals...and it's been a 'new years goal' of mine to get back to fiction writing, and elaborate upon ideas i've had in the hopper over the past 15-20 years.
I don't think the question is really about your ability but simply your outline.

i've got no shame in my reactions, either.
Here's another bit of advice, then: those reactions, in a professional environment, could cost you your victory.
i'd take that chance.
like i said, i stand by my reactions, and find no fault in them considering the dialogue i was responding to.
Old June 2 2013, 02:11 AM   #129
Belz...
Fleet Captain

nah. i think it's good advice. in fact, i think i have far less leverage in a traditional approach.
Exactly what leverage do you think you have ? Star Trek is CBS' property.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:12 AM   #130
zekkie
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
A bit of advice I got ages back: Never compare your project to another project. The minute you say "Well my book(show) is like <other popular book/show>", you've already biased them to think you're ripping off someone else. You should be able to sell your work its merits, not by comparing it to other works.

Plus, how do you know they've seen Farscape or Lost In Space. How you know they've even seen Star Trek for that matter.
Lost in Space?
Old June 2 2013, 02:13 AM   #131
zekkie
Rear Admiral

i have the leverage of produceable material, and industry ins. it's not hard to do... but like i said, it's more than 99% provide.

CBS owning Star Trek is nothing new to me.

i'm presenting a ton of spec work (for free), which seen by the right eyes, may ring as an opportunity.
Old June 2 2013, 02:13 AM   #132
SeerSGB
Admiral

i disagree, and feel that every approach of mine can be managed/mitigated.
CBS legal might say otherwise.
yes, true, and when/if i have to, i (my attorney) will detail for them the entirety of my online self promotion efforts. there's a number of methods with which to protect myself and CBS. WGA registration was a step.

if it doesn't get bought, it simply doesn't get bought.
life goes on; i tried.

my story involves the use of Chris Pine et al, in time/age sensitive roles. if it doesn't stick, it goes away, or it finds another medium/format and licensing attempt.
You need an entertainment law and film writing class badly.

And never think "If I need a lawyer" in this business. Just assume from the get go you'll need one. Talk to a few that specialize in entertainment law and copyright. Fine one you like and is in your price range and put his number in your phone in case you have to call him up and hire him.

You can't write spec banking on a set specific actors. Pine may not want to go back to TV, he might not want to be Kirk after the next movie. You never bank your story on the casting.

i have the leverage of produceable material, and industry ins. it's not hard to do... but like i said, it's more than 99% provide.

CBS owning Star Trek is nothing new to me.

i'm presenting a ton of spec work (for free), which seen by the right eyes, may ring as an opportunity.
You and about every other asshole wannabe knocking of their door. You've got the cliche and nothng special.
Old June 2 2013, 02:14 AM   #133
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The entertainment lawyer I work with started at Troma and more recently cleared a lot of IP for use in Wreck-It Ralph, so I suspect he's got some cred in this field.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:15 AM   #134
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Lost in Space?
The show...? You DO know there was a show called Lost in Space, right? Or am I misinterpreting your question?
Old June 2 2013, 02:16 AM   #135
BillJ
Admiral

You can't write spec banking on a set specific actors. Pine may not want to go back to TV, he might not want to be Kirk after the next movie. You never bank your story on the casting.
How dare you question zekkie! He's got it all figured out!