RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 432
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 2 2013, 01:40 AM   #106
zekkie
Rear Admiral

View zekkie's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK: a series treatment starring APRIL and COLT

Belz... wrote: View Post
zekkie wrote: View Post
you and Maurice have been the fairest
I appreciate that. But I think you should address the criticisms rather than get on the defensive. Assume that the criticisms have value.
they do, and that's a great point,
but it's about the tone of some responses.

(realizing this is the same microcosm that exhibits itself in other fora)
zekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:41 AM   #107
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

believe it or don't believe it, but i have plenty of industry friends at every stage of the cinematic heirachy, and strong advisors (and representation lined up and ready)
Here's a bit of advice you can use: whoever told you it was a good idea to put this on the internet, fire them.
Old June 2 2013, 01:42 AM   #108
zekkie
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
If he thinks this is bad, imagine what he'd think of the stuff viewers and professional critics would say. We might be blunt, but we're not as bad as bad can get--especially towards an a failing Star Trek show. See the crap JJ Abrams gets? That's nothing compared to what Braga and Berman went through in their tenure.
i'm not scared lol
i'm asking for it.
Old June 2 2013, 01:43 AM   #109
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

If he thinks this is bad, imagine what he'd think of the stuff viewers and professional critics would say. We might be blunt, but we're not as bad as bad can get--especially towards an a failing Star Trek show. See the crap JJ Abrams gets? That's nothing compared to what Braga and Berman went through in their tenure.
i'm not scared lol
i'm asking for it.
Yeah, and see how you reacted in this thread...
Old June 2 2013, 01:43 AM   #110
zekkie
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
believe it or don't believe it, but i have plenty of industry friends at every stage of the cinematic heirachy, and strong advisors (and representation lined up and ready)
Here's a bit of advice you can use: whoever told you it was a good idea to put this on the internet, fire them.
nah. i think it's good advice. in fact, i think i have far less leverage in a traditional approach.
Old June 2 2013, 01:44 AM   #111
zekkie
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
i'm not scared lol
i'm asking for it.
Yeah, and see how you reacted in this thread...
i've got no shame in my reactions, either.
Old June 2 2013, 01:46 AM   #112
zekkie
Rear Admiral

Here's a question posed to me many a moon ago: Do you have the legal right to file a treatment/concept with the WGA using CBS's intellectual properties? The argument being that since you used their intellectual properties in a registered work that you are laying copyright claim too, that you are in a roundabout fashion, claiming to have a stake in their copyright. Which could be viewed as a violation of their copyright; seeing as your were not employed to create the work.
Well, I think I can unknot some of that... Registering with the WGA is not registering copyright.

Copyright can only be registered with the Copyright office. And I don't think they would give you a copyright on a treatment for Star Trek, as CBS/Paramount control all of that.

Registering with the WGA is basically saying this draft was done at this point in time. There's no claim of copyright.

ALSO: when you sell something to a network or a studio, they buy the copyright. It's their property totally. They pay you lots of cash for it, but, it's theirs to do as they see fit. So, then they could register THAT at the copyright office.
quality post
Old June 2 2013, 01:47 AM   #113
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Here's a question posed to me many a moon ago: Do you have the legal right to file a treatment/concept with the WGA using CBS's intellectual properties? The argument being that since you used their intellectual properties in a registered work that you are laying copyright claim too, that you are in a roundabout fashion, claiming to have a stake in their copyright. Which could be viewed as a violation of their copyright; seeing as your were not employed to create the work.
Well, I think I can unknot some of that... Registering with the WGA is not registering copyright.

Copyright can only be registered with the Copyright office. And I don't think they would give you a copyright on a treatment for Star Trek, as CBS/Paramount control all of that.

Registering with the WGA is basically saying this draft was done at this point in time. There's no claim of copyright.

ALSO: when you sell something to a network or a studio, they buy the copyright. It's their property totally. They pay you lots of cash for it, but, it's theirs to do as they see fit. So, then they could register THAT at the copyright office.
That's what I thought. But I've heard a lot of back and forth opinion on the matter.

i have 2 out of the three books.

and i don't do much 'by the book' outside of teleplay formatting. i understand that position, but it's not the end all of getting a pitch to screen.
1) The format exists for a reason, learn it, love it, use it.

2) You just ignored the part where I said pay attention to the sections about business.

And, here's one I just realized: You post online, some boards and serves can lay claim to your content. Better be real careful where you post it cause some TOS/EUA make it clear you transfer ownership of your posted content to the board/site.
though i'm not produced, i'm not a novice, re: 1 & 2.
i'm not gonna offer any more of my personal resume, per your request, but i'm quite prepared in the 'sections about business'. believe it or don't believe it, but i have plenty of industry friends at every stage of the cinematic heirachy, and strong advisors (and representation lined up and ready)

i have never pitched a script, but i have yet to try. but i've been a lobbyist, and i can study an path and find my way to my goals...and it's been a 'new years goal' of mine to get back to fiction writing, and elaborate upon ideas i've had in the hopper over the past 15-20 years.

i'm making the effort to publish my stories (non-Trek and Trek) and story ideas that i've written in the past, by covering some of the allegorical essay material written, and knowledge i've accumulated awareness of in my travels.

i know the traditional approach, and i scoff it, in some respect.

i'm working with a skillset that has shown me other avenues, and as long as i'm legally protected, i'm gonna give it a shot.

if CBS doesn't give me the time of day, thanks for showing concern. maybe i shoulda tried it your way.

good point about TOS/EUA. that's a key reason why i posted just the treatment. i'm not gonna scatter a script to the wind.
Dude, even what you posted is enough for someone to lay claim to the work. Even a log in could be enough.

The formats exist for more reasons than tradition. The formats are actually important. A mark of a professional is using the required formats for his/her market. A lot of editors or studio readers will just chuck a manuscript/script that isn't up to spec on formatting--fuck the story; if you can be assed to follow the rules of the game, you don't get to play

At some point you're not going to be dealing with friends. In this business you will and do deal with people that couldn't be bothered to piss on you if you were on fire. You're some snot nose nobody writer trying to talk them into giving you money with promises to make them more money. You've gotta prove that you can deliver.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:47 AM   #114
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

nah. i think it's good advice. in fact, i think i have far less leverage in a traditional approach.
You've created a legal minefield that CBS simply won't touch. If someone here gives you advice that you incorporate into your "series", they can sue both you and CBS for creator credits and cash.

You doomed yourself the moment you clicked 'Submit New Thread'.
Old June 2 2013, 01:48 AM   #115
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

i've got no shame in my reactions, either.
I'm not saying you should. But what I and others have said, not particularly professional either. If you pitch, in the room, if they are interested, you're going to get questions, you're going to get criticisms. If you can't handle it, they aren't going to be interested in working with you.
Old June 2 2013, 01:49 AM   #116
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Many many years ago I had a lengthy chat with the late-great Carl Sautter, a lovely man , who was nominated for several Emmys and won two Writer's Guild Awards for episodes of Moonlighting he co-wrote (the sublime The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice, and It's a Wonderful Job), and he gave me a lot of really practical advice on scriptwriting and the business side of it for which I remain thankful for to this day.

A screenplay I was hired to rewrite was briefly attached to Alexander Witt as director and Ridley Scott as a producing partner before moving to another director (it might still happen), so I'm not unfamiliar with some aspects of the biz. The criticism I've seen here is mild compared to some of the stuff I've seen and the notes I've given/gotten.

Frankly, I LIKE criticism because it makes me look at the work from a different perspective, often to the work's improvement. For instance, I told a producer I know about a TV series pitch I was working up, and he cut to the chase by asking, "Where's the sexy?" which may sound glib, but he was asking where the excitement is in the show. Immensely valuable.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:51 AM   #117
zekkie
Rear Admiral

The formats exist for more reasons than tradition. The formats are actually important. A mark of a professional is using the required formats for his/her market. A lot of editors or studio readers will just chuck a manuscript/script that isn't up to spec on formatting--fuck the story; if you can be assed to follow the rules of the game, you don't get to play
my teleplays are formatted using Movie Magic 6.

(as was this treatment, but cut and paste can be unkind to indentations, italicizations, and bold typeface)

i never said anything about abandoning any of the pitch structure.

i'm mentioned a couple times already, that i have multiple cover letters, synopses, a bible, etc... all in strict format.
Old June 2 2013, 01:52 AM   #118
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

That's what I thought. But I've heard a lot of back and forth opinion on the matter.
It's my take, just on what I know about copyright. There are a LOT of myths out there about copyright and what you need to do, etc.
Old June 2 2013, 01:53 AM   #119
zekkie
Rear Admiral

You've created a legal minefield that CBS simply won't touch. If someone here gives you advice that you incorporate into your "series", they can sue both you and CBS for creator credits and cash.

i disagree, and feel that every approach of mine can be managed/mitigated.
Old June 2 2013, 01:55 AM   #120
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

i disagree, and feel that every approach of mine can be managed/mitigated.
CBS legal might say otherwise.