Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 2 2013, 01:14 AM   #91
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: STAR TREK: a series treatment starring APRIL and COLT

zekkie wrote: View Post

What I've always been told (YMMV) is that if you can't sell your pitch in two sentences, you're pretty well fucked. You've got to have the ideal of what it is in your head, and sell them on that; not what it will be but what the core of the ideal is.
if i ever have another concept, i'll only post the logline next time.

this is fleshed out, as well as parsed down to cover letters, synopses, etc to the appropriate persons.
Don't even post that much. Do it not get it: You post NOTHING till you have a contract or a firm denial. NOTHING. That's the professional way of doing it.

If you haven't, invest in three books: Screenwriter's Bible, Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting, The Complete Book of Scriptwriting Read 'em cover to cover and pay attention to the sections regarding the business side of things.
Old June 2 2013, 01:14 AM   #92
zekkie
Rear Admiral

View zekkie's Twitter Profile

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

am i currently scheduled to pitch, no
can i make it happen? pretty certain of it.
You should make it happen. It's the only way. If you can make it happen, that should be in your plan. Without a doubt.

you're being coy. i know the definition.
perhaps not the most appropriate word in this case, but i'm using definition 3
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coy
Which #3?

3. Annoyingly unwilling to make a commitment.
or
3. evasive, esp in an annoying way
or
3. reluctant to reveal one's plans, make a commitment, or take a stand.

Because I'm pretty sure I'm asking you to make a commitment, and I don't think I'm being evasive and I have no plans to reveal... so...

Yeah, I'm not being coy. I'm certainly being demanding. That's for sure.

you're refusing to accept the answer i've presented, and then you mock it like you've got the answer to 'some scheme'.
I accept it as an answer. But it's not a GOOD answer. It's not an answer you can give to someone and they are going to take it seriously. And I have no idea what you mean that I have some "scheme."

I'm telling you the reality. You cannot go in and pitch Star Trek comedy saying it's like Benson and Parks and Rec--other than being workplace comedies, there is no similarity. It simply will not work. It will confuse rather than inform.

good day.
I'm actually trying to help. I get that you don't see it. But, seriously, put your ego aside for a moment, and sit in the chair of the person listening to your pitch. Pretend you are not a MEGA Star Trek fan, pretend that you get lots and lots of pitches, pretend that you are 30 years old.
i have plenty of pitches, i'm older than 30, and was a fan of the series as a kid and through highschool; took ten years off, came back to the franchise, and thought i'd give a series attempt a try. (as hobby, with the full intention of making it happen)

the only thing that bothers me in this thread, is the mischaracterization of what i presented (as well as me, personally) and belittlement of an effort.
zekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:16 AM   #93
zekkie
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

What I've always been told (YMMV) is that if you can't sell your pitch in two sentences, you're pretty well fucked. You've got to have the ideal of what it is in your head, and sell them on that; not what it will be but what the core of the ideal is.

this is fleshed out, as well as parsed down to cover letters, synopses, etc to the appropriate persons.
Don't even post that much. Do it not get it: You post NOTHING till you have a contract or a firm denial. NOTHING. That's the professional way of doing it.

If you haven't invest in three books: Screenwriter's Bible, Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting, The Complete Book of Scriptwriting Read 'em cover to cover and pay attention to the section regarding the business side of things.
i have 2 out of the three books.

and i don't do much 'by the book' outside of teleplay formatting. i understand that position, but it's not the end all of getting a pitch to screen.
Old June 2 2013, 01:18 AM   #94
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

(as hobby, with the full intention of making it happen)
Either you're doing it or not.

the only thing that bothers me in this thread, is the mischaracterization of what i presented (as well as me, personally) and belittlement of an effort.
I saw none of this until you started holding your nose high in the air at the merest hint of criticism. You didn't want opinions, you wanted pats on the back.
Old June 2 2013, 01:19 AM   #95
zekkie
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
not a single question in this thread about my work into this, my characters or my stories.
I just don't think we're there yet.

indeed it's a big concept, but i'm attempting it.
Hey, more power to you, and I hope for you that you succeed. But in order to do so, in my opinion, you'll have quite a bit of, let's say, pragmatizing to do.

like i mentioned, i don't mind productive, warranted criticism. i've received no criticism but character attacks and equivocation.
Now that's a lie, Zekkie. We have pointed out that the format of your series is problematic, that the tone of your treatment gives the strong impression that this will not be directed at the general audience, and that you are over-prepared and over-hyped, but in the wrong way. That's not character attacks.
you and Maurice have been the fairest, but what i said still applies to the general atmosphere of the thread.
Old June 2 2013, 01:20 AM   #96
SeerSGB
Admiral

If you haven't invest in three books: Screenwriter's Bible, Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting, The Complete Book of Scriptwriting Read 'em cover to cover and pay attention to the section regarding the business side of things.

and i don't do much 'by the book' outside of teleplay formatting. i understand that position, but it's not the end all of getting a pitch to screen.
1) The format exists for a reason, learn it, love it, use it.

2) You just ignored the part where I said pay attention to the sections about business.

And, here's one I just realized: You post online, some boards and serves can lay claim to your content. Better be real careful where you post it cause some TOS/EUA make it clear you transfer ownership of your posted content to the board/site.
Old June 2 2013, 01:20 AM   #97
zekkie
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
(as hobby, with the full intention of making it happen)
Either you're doing it or not.

I saw none of this until you started holding your nose high in the air at the merest hint of criticism. You didn't want opinions, you wanted pats on the back.
no, i wanted constructive and fair criticism.

not snark and insinuation from the get-go.
Old June 2 2013, 01:22 AM   #98
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

i have plenty of pitches, i'm older than 30, and was a fan of the series as a kid and through highschool; took ten years off, came back to the franchise, and thought i'd give a series attempt a try. (as hobby, with the full intention of making it happen)
SIGH. I'm asking you to place yourself in role of the person you are pitching TO. Put on your acting cap. They are most likely going to be around 30, unless you know some REAL higher ups, they are most likely NOT going to care about Star Trek, and they are going to have heard a LOT of pitches that day, that week. NOW... how would you pitch to THAT person.

Nothing has been mischaracterized. If ALL of us are seeing something that you are not, put your ego aside, and really LOOK and LISTEN to what we are saying.
Old June 2 2013, 01:23 AM   #99
SeerSGB
Admiral

Case it point to my post above: Post your concept on startrek.com and CBS owns it:

6. User Submissions

Some of the Services may allow you to submit or transmit audio, video, text, or other materials (collectively, “User Submissions”) to or through the Services. When you provide User Submissions, you grant to CBS Interactive, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and partners a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, fully sublicenseable license to use, distribute, edit, display, archive, publish, sublicense, perform, reproduce, make available, transmit, broadcast, sell, translate, and create derivative works of those User Submissions, and your name, voice, likeness and other identifying information where part of a User Submission, in any form, media, software, or technology of any kind now known or developed in the future, including, without limitation, for developing, manufacturing, and marketing products. You hereby waive any moral rights you may have in your User Submissions.

We respect your ownership of User Submissions. If you owned a User Submission before providing it to us, you will continue owning it after providing it to us, subject to any rights granted in the Terms and any access granted to others. If you delete a User Submission from the Services, our general license to that User Submission will end after a reasonable period of time required for the deletion to take full effect. However, the User Submission may still exist in our backup copies, which are not publicly available. If your User Submission is shared with third parties, those third parties may have retained copies of your User Submissions. In addition, if we made use of your User Submission before you deleted it, we will continue to have the right to make, duplicate, redistribute, and sublicense those pre-existing uses, even after you delete the User Submission. Terminating your account on a Service will not automatically delete your User Submissions.
You see why the professionals and the people that are serious don't discuss this stuff online?
Old June 2 2013, 01:24 AM   #100
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Anyone remember Star Trek: Cardinal?

http://startrekcardinal.com/Home_Page.html
Old June 2 2013, 01:33 AM   #101
SeerSGB
Admiral

Here's a question posed to me many a moon ago: Do you have the legal right to file a treatment/concept with the WGA using CBS's intellectual properties? The argument being that since you used their intellectual properties in a registered work that you are laying copyright claim too, that you are in a roundabout fashion, claiming to have a stake in their copyright. Which could be viewed as a violation of their copyright; seeing as your were not employed to create the work.

Same sort of legal gray area as fanfilm and fanfiction.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Anyone remember Star Trek: Cardinal?

http://startrekcardinal.com/Home_Page.html
Yeppers. Some of the same claims to, IRC.
Old June 2 2013, 01:36 AM   #102
Belz...
Fleet Captain

you and Maurice have been the fairest
I appreciate that. But I think you should address the criticisms rather than get on the defensive. Assume that the criticisms have value.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:37 AM   #103
zekkie
Rear Admiral

1) The format exists for a reason, learn it, love it, use it.

2) You just ignored the part where I said pay attention to the sections about business.

And, here's one I just realized: You post online, some boards and serves can lay claim to your content. Better be real careful where you post it cause some TOS/EUA make it clear you transfer ownership of your posted content to the board/site.
though i'm not produced, i'm not a novice, re: 1 & 2.
i'm not gonna offer any more of my personal resume, per your request, but i'm quite prepared in the 'sections about business'. believe it or don't believe it, but i have plenty of industry friends at every stage of the cinematic heirachy, and strong advisors (and representation lined up and ready)

i have never pitched a script, but i have yet to try. but i've been a lobbyist, and i can study an path and find my way to my goals...and it's been a 'new years goal' of mine to get back to fiction writing, and elaborate upon ideas i've had in the hopper over the past 15-20 years.

i'm making the effort to publish my stories (non-Trek and Trek) and story ideas that i've written in the past, by covering some of the allegorical essay material written, and knowledge i've accumulated awareness of in my travels.

i know the traditional approach, and i scoff it, in some respect.

i'm working with a skillset that has shown me other avenues, and as long as i'm legally protected, i'm gonna give it a shot.

if CBS doesn't give me the time of day, thanks for showing concern. maybe i shoulda tried it your way.

good point about TOS/EUA. that's a key reason why i posted just the treatment. i'm not gonna scatter a script to the wind.
Old June 2 2013, 01:39 AM   #104
SeerSGB
Admiral

If he thinks this is bad, imagine what he'd think of the stuff viewers and professional critics would say. We might be blunt, but we're not as bad as bad can get--especially towards an a failing Star Trek show. See the crap JJ Abrams gets? That's nothing compared to what Braga and Berman went through in their tenure.
Old June 2 2013, 01:39 AM   #105
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Here's a question posed to me many a moon ago: Do you have the legal right to file a treatment/concept with the WGA using CBS's intellectual properties? The argument being that since you used their intellectual properties in a registered work that you are laying copyright claim too, that you are in a roundabout fashion, claiming to have a stake in their copyright. Which could be viewed as a violation of their copyright; seeing as your were not employed to create the work.
Well, I think I can unknot some of that... Registering with the WGA is not registering copyright.

Copyright can only be registered with the Copyright office. And I don't think they would give you a copyright on a treatment for Star Trek, as CBS/Paramount control all of that.

Registering with the WGA is basically saying this draft was done at this point in time. There's no claim of copyright.

ALSO: when you sell something to a network or a studio, they buy the copyright. It's their property totally. They pay you lots of cash for it, but, it's theirs to do as they see fit. So, then they could register THAT at the copyright office.