Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 1 2013, 08:51 PM   #31
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Microsoft to restore the Start Button in Windows 8.1

ITL wrote: View Post
I'm getting a new desktop PC put together and the guy in the shop recommended Win7 over Win8 without hesitation. He winced when he said "Windows 8"...
That's because "Windows 8," and "desktop PC" go together about as well as oil and water. I tried to like Windows 8, and for tablets, it's a fine and fitting OS, but for laptops and desktops, it's about as fitting as a screen door on the Red October.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:56 PM   #32
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I got used to not having the start menu. You can literally type what you want and it finds it.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:59 PM   #33
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I just installed start8 and set it to boot directly to desktop and have had no problems since.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:00 PM   #34
ITHell
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm getting a new desktop PC put together and the guy in the shop recommended Win7 over Win8 without hesitation. He winced when he said "Windows 8"...
That's because "Windows 8," and "desktop PC" go together about as well as oil and water. I tried to like Windows 8, and for tablets, it's a fine and fitting OS, but for laptops and desktops, it's about as fitting as a screen door on the Red October.
My nephew's laptop came with Win8. I didn't use it much, but I can't say I liked what I saw.
Old June 2 2013, 06:57 AM   #35
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm generally an Apple User, but I will say: I like Windows 7. I hate Windows 8.

Live tiles are stupid. Nobody likes them. They seem cool for a few seconds when you watch the commercial but they're not. They're stupid and confusing and as useless as snapping a keyboard onto your Surface while dancing on a table, and they obfuscate the useful elements of Windows. Figuring out how to make a Surface do what I want is the science of randomly touching things and swiping in random directions until something useful happens. Then they have this classic desktop looking thing as a completely separate interface from 'Live tiles' that feels like working in a VM.

With Windows 8 and XBox One Microsoft's attitude is 'You'll buy this and you'll like it screw usability, have a complaint RELEASE THE HOUNDS'. Microsoft's new policy of 'Open contempt for our consumer base' isn't going to get them anywhere and having a start menu isn't going to fix the complete uselessness of the interface they're pretending everybody likes.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:01 AM   #36
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

With the Start button restored, finally "Windows 7 Service Pack 2" is getting a proper release.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:25 AM   #37
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

I use Windows 7 Ultimate and have no issues with it. I don't have any plans on updating to Windows 8 (and if you ask me it doesn't offer anything that I don't already get from 7 Ultimate for my own personal computing wants and needs....there's just no point in bothering with it) but thanks for the update and story.
Old June 3 2013, 01:28 AM   #38
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

Windows 8 was one of the reasons I went to Mac. My brother has it on his laptop, I can barely stand using it. Windows 7 was great, I had no complaints.
Old June 3 2013, 02:01 AM   #39
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I got used to not having the start menu. You can literally type what you want and it finds it.
Or I can just click the Start button and click the program. It's a symptom of Windows 8 to make everything that took a simple one or two clicks, now takes several more, a swipe, and/or some typing.

My nephew's laptop came with Win8. I didn't use it much, but I can't say I liked what I saw.
I've set up three computers now, with Windows 8, and it still hasn't grown on me. It just feels kludgy on a laptop and desktop.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
Brony Kingdom
Old June 3 2013, 03:31 AM   #40
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

A dear friend who knows a thing or ten about computers told me point blank, and I paraphrase: "Don't bother with Windows 8. What you have is more than enough for your Web and gaming needs. 8 is just flash and marketing more than anything else. Don't waste your time and just forget about it."
Old June 3 2013, 06:55 AM   #41
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Your friend is correct.

Brony Kingdom
Old June 3 2013, 07:11 AM   #42
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

I'll be sticking with 7 until I'm either forced to update (which will probably happen) or something equally nice looking and amazingly functional comes along.

Sticking with this!

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:52 AM   #43
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Your friend is correct.
He helped me set up my current desktop and gave me some software, gear and a lot of tips and advice. I trust the guy implicity because this computer is at least in part his own handiwork. When he says "don't waste your money and get this unless the company eventually forces you to" then I listen. He knows more in one pinkie finger about computers and operating systems than I do in both hands put together.

If and when Microsoft basically forces people to switch over to 8 or a successor because it will no longer support the older systems then fine. It's not like I'd have much of a choice at that point. But until then 7 Ultimate does everything I need it to, is easy to navigate and offers a lot of good features that I've spent time getting used to. I like it. A lot.
Old June 3 2013, 11:54 AM   #44
Stoo
Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Yep, that's what I do in both win7 and 8, I find it faster than roaming around the start menu.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:11 PM   #45
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I dont get the Win 8 hate. Yeah, Metro isnt great, but overall its like Win 7 with a couple enhancements.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote