RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,679
Members: 24,204
Currently online: 917
Newest member: Bashir Trikona

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 1 2013, 01:44 AM   #196
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Karen Gillan, Dr. Who's "Amy Pond", has been cast as an un-identified villain.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; June 1 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:57 AM   #197
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It would be really odd if David Tennant was the voice of rocket raccoon and Karen had the bigger role. It should be the other way around.
Old June 1 2013, 01:59 AM   #198
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Matt Smith: "Dammit!"
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:36 AM   #199
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Hollywood Reporter says she's the lead female villain.

My immediate thought was Death.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:48 AM   #200
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

If you haven't seen Glenn Close in Damages you have no right to even talk about her.

And some Doctor Who fun... Nice.
Old June 1 2013, 04:15 AM   #201
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Hollywood Reporter says she's the lead female villain.

My immediate thought was Death.
Mine as well.
Old June 1 2013, 05:18 AM   #202
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Hey, she could kill me anytime.
Old June 1 2013, 06:19 AM   #203
JD
Admiral

Awesome. I loved her on Doctor Who.
I can't wait to see who they get as Rocket.
This movie has gotten quite the mixture of actors. A sitcom cast member, a WWE wrestler, a Star Trek cast member, a Walking Dead cast member, Glen Close, and now a Dr. Who companion.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:22 AM   #204
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

That's just fantastic news; between Gillan and Glenn Close my interest is so much higher.
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:32 PM   #205
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
That's just fantastic news; between Gillan and Glenn Close my interest is so much higher.
I agree. Which I think just proves even more that studios are stupid for not making a single female super hero movie in a decade. I guess they are still scared after the Catwoman mess.
Old June 1 2013, 05:51 PM   #206
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

If shooting is supposed to start this month, we're probably going to be seeing casting announcements coming fast and furious.

I don't know much of anything about the Guardians, but am digging the casting, what with Saldana, Bautista, Close, and the possibility of Reilly and either Watanabe, Rickman, or Laurie.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:05 PM   #207
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I agree. Which I think just proves even more that studios are stupid for not making a single female super hero movie in a decade. I guess they are still scared after the Catwoman mess.
And Elektra and going back Supergirl, must be others I'm forgetting. I think the studios just can't process woman + superhero into their formula machine. One only need look at Underworld and Resident Evil and the like to see it can work. Something about superheroes seems to trip them up.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:43 PM   #208
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Ruaidhri wrote: View Post
Fair enough--I won't badger you about it. But I would say, sometimes you'd be surprised what you like if you step out of your comfort zone.

I step out of my comfort zone sometimes, and it can work out (like watching Memento and inception and liking both) but I draw the line at an 80's "psychological" thriller about an obsessed woman that look like a stupid "chick flick".

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
And Elektra and going back Supergirl, must be others I'm forgetting. I think the studios just can't process woman + superhero into their formula machine. One only need look at Underworld and Resident Evil and the like to see it can work. Something about superheroes seems to trip them up.
I'm all for female Superhero movies. I'd like to see heroines like Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman or She-Hulk get a movie. That said, they should not look at Resident Evil. Resident Evil shouldn't be looked at as a positive example of anything, except maybe how bad movies can keep making money and sequels years after they had any hope of not being horrible.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
If they cast Clint Eastwood or Michael Cain as the head of the Nova corps, I would have said weird old man. I have nothing against Glenn Close. Looking at her work on wikipedia, I've only seen her on Mars attack, and heard her voice on the animated Tarzan and some episodes of the Simpson's, and neither really gave me an opnion on her. Having an almost 70 year old woman as the leader of the Nova corps was mostly why I said they hired a weird old woman. She doesn't fit at all, and it is really stupid casting. It has nothing to do with her personally. She could be a great actor (she'd have to be brain dead to be worst than Bautista and Saldana regardless) its just that her role makes absolutely no sense.

Nothing against her and you call her a weird old woman? What would you have called her if you did have something against her?

Given that she's played a strong police captain who was able to boss Vic Mackey about in The Shield, the Vice-President of the USA (to Harrison Ford's POTUS in Air Force One) as well as the First Lady in Mars Attacks, a bad-ass lawyer in Damages, a chief justice in The West Wing, Eleanor of Aquitaine in The Lion in Winter, Cruella DeVille, not to mention the many other authoritative and commanding woman in her career and her role as one of the all-time greatest screen villainesses in Fatal Attraction, I think she is more than qualified for this role.

Qualified? To play a space cop whose supposed to be able to kick ass? The woman looks fit for her age, and I could see her playing an old WW2 Marvel hero in modern times. Maybe have the Invaders be revealed as secret allies of captain America from WWII and make her an old Spitfire, or maybe she could be Ms. America and be from a secret superhero SHIELD team from back in the day and have her in modern times helping the avengers or something. You could even have her retain powers and kick ass, and I could accept that role.

My thoughts on her in this are assuming that she'll be in a Nova corps costume hitting people, and that would be stupid. But, thinking about it, I guess she could work as a Nova corps leader if she was a ripoff of the Guardians from the green Lantern books, or the leaders of the star sapphires. An old alien who has never done any realy field work (or maybe a former field agent, now bound to a metephorical desk), but who is wise and leads the corps. If that turns out to be the case, I'd say she would probably be a good choice. I just can't get the image out of my head of her flying around like Richard Rider, but I'll admit I didn't think of her as being in a wise, non fighting, leader role and that could work out well.

Also, once again, the weird old woman was just in context of the role, it was not meant as any kind of shot against an actress I've barely seen.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:54 PM   #209
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

In terms of casting, at least, this movie certainly has become more intriguing all the time.
Old June 1 2013, 07:12 PM   #210
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kirk5555, Glenn Close's age has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not she can do action scenes or whether or not said scenes would look good.

Samuel L. Jackson can still kick ass with the best of them, and he's a year-and-change younger than Close, so please drop the ageism. If you're going to call Close a 'weird old woman', SLJ should be referred to as a 'weird old man'.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the mention of SLJ is not random, as Close's role is apparently going to be the cosmic equivalent to his Nick Fury.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote