Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 31 2013, 10:47 AM   #76
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Considering that pylon also connects the saucer section to the engineering section which contains both the main power plant for the entire vessel and those mysteriously deadly water turbines, that seems like a pretty logical place to put some critical component of the life support system.
Maybe they considered the engineering section to be a nacelle itself, since the primary hull is the saucer.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:22 PM   #77
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Thank You Real World....

The Nacelle (/nəˈsɛl/ nə-SELL) is a cover housing (separate from the fuselage) that holds engines, fuel, or equipment on an aircraft. In some cases—for instance in the typical "Farman" type "pusher" aircraft, or the World War II-era P-38 Lightning—an aircraft's cockpit may also be housed in a nacelle, which essentially fills the function of a conventional fuselage. The covering is typically aerodynamically shaped.[1]
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 05:28 PM   #78
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

^ That's what I had in mind, yes, except that starships do not have a "fuselage" and so the nacelle would be component that is not otherwise enclosed within the main hull. Seems to fit.
Old May 31 2013, 06:34 PM   #79
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

So I'll just assume the life support system is nestled somewhere around the shuttlebay, and call it a day.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 07:41 AM   #80
draderman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://image.torrent-invites.com/ima...enterprise.jpg

[Converted to link. Images posted inline should be hosted on your own web space. - M']

The engineering section of the Enterprise has always been referred to as the "secondary" hull. That is why they call the saucer section the "primary" hull.
For the writers to refer to the secondary hull as a nacelle is silly. You don't have two nacelles attached, to a nacelle. sounds ridiculous.

Also "Behind the aft nacelle"... there is NOTHING. Isn't it like saying, "The air conditioning system in my mazda is located behind my rear bumper."

Last edited by M'Sharak; June 1 2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: hotlink
draderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:51 AM   #81
Belz...
Fleet Captain

draderman wrote: View Post
The engineering section of the Enterprise has always been referred to as the "secondary" hull. That is why they call the saucer section the "primary" hull. For the writers to refer to the secondary hull as a nacelle is silly.
No, it's not. It's only silly if you cling to the "secondary hull" thing. I'm perfectly comfortable with the explanation that "aft nacelle" is the secondary hull. I know it doesn't mesh with previous Trek, but in the worst case scenario, it was a simple mistake.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 1 2013, 01:20 PM   #82
Tiberius
Commodore

How can anyone confuse a hull with a nacelle? I don't buy it. By this logic, the Enterprise is nothing but nacelles.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:20 PM   #83
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Belz... wrote: View Post
draderman wrote: View Post
The engineering section of the Enterprise has always been referred to as the "secondary" hull. That is why they call the saucer section the "primary" hull. For the writers to refer to the secondary hull as a nacelle is silly.
No, it's not. It's only silly if you cling to the "secondary hull" thing. I'm perfectly comfortable with the explanation that "aft nacelle" is the secondary hull. I know it doesn't mesh with previous Trek, but in the worst case scenario, it was a simple mistake.
Ummmm......yeah......

Historically speaking and back in the old days (you know the 60's and 70's) the star ship nomenclature always referred to the main sections of the Enterprise as being Primary and Secondary Hull.
However that being said it would seem that JJ's writing engineers have changed ships nomenclature to fit within their changed universe.
I guess.....
Old June 1 2013, 02:16 PM   #84
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Also, from someone (me) that has worked construction on Navy vessels for 22 years you would be surprised as to where they put things.
Old June 1 2013, 02:23 PM   #85
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Tiberius wrote: View Post
How can anyone confuse a hull with a nacelle? I don't buy it. By this logic, the Enterprise is nothing but nacelles.
Yeah, except that primary hull thingy we keep mentioning.

Old June 1 2013, 03:21 PM   #86
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I'm perfectly comfortable with the explanation that "aft nacelle" is the secondary hull. I know it doesn't mesh with previous Trek, but in the worst case scenario, it was a simple mistake.
So in your scenario...the life support is located out in space, trailing behind the Enterprise?

The "secondary hull is a nacelle" thing doesn't even fix the goofed line, so why bother?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:05 PM   #87
Anduril
Captain

Poe's Law is strong on the TrekBBS.
Old June 1 2013, 04:12 PM   #88
Anduril
Captain

Last edited by Anduril; June 1 2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: internet sucks sometimes
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:32 PM   #89
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Q

Tosk wrote: View Post
So in your scenario...the life support is located out in space, trailing behind the Enterprise?
Belz...'s First Law of Non Sequiturs: when a post begins with "so" you can bet that what follows bears no resemblance to the post being replied to.

Yeah, that's right. I meant that the life support is in space. I was talking about the engineering section. Did you even read what I wrote ?

The "secondary hull is a nacelle" thing doesn't even fix the goofed line, so why bother?
Why bother ? Why bother even talking about it since it's such an unimportant line ? If people are going to nitpick it, then I'm going to try to make it fit. Yes, it's probably a slip-up, but since the engineering section could be interpreted as a nacelle anyway, I don't see the problem.

Old June 1 2013, 05:40 PM   #90
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Q

I was talking about the engineering section. Did you even read what I wrote ?
[Edited] I did read what you wrote, and I apologize for wording my initial reply in a sarcastic tone.

You posited that the engineering hull can be referred to as a nacelle. The line in ST12 is "behind the aft nacelle" My point was that if the engineering/secondary hull were the nacelle in question, then behind it would be in space.

If I've misunderstood your point, then I will offer a second apology.

Last edited by Tosk; June 1 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote