MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 1 2013, 03:08 AM   #1
StCoop
Commodore

Karen Gillan cast as one of the leads in Guardians Of The Galaxy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...marvels-561293

Wow. Puts Matt Smith's little movie to shame.

You know, while I never warmed to Amy Pond I've always had the feeling that Gillan was headed for big things.

Last edited by StCoop; June 1 2013 at 03:26 AM.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Karen Gillan cast as one of the leads in Guardians Of The Galaxy

Lead female villain. Hmm.

If this is feeding into Avengers 2 and Thanos, she could be playing Death.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Good for her. I'm glad to see her getting film roles.
Old June 1 2013, 03:56 AM   #4
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Well my interest in seeing this movie just increased a lot...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I have to say my interest in Guardians of the Galaxy has skyrocketed in just the last few days between this news and the news of Glenn Close's casting. I had very little interest in the film because I barely even heard of the characters, let alone ever read any of their stories.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by Emh; June 1 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ Totally agreed. This is... pretty damned awesome news. And oh man, if she's Death (wild speculation, true), that's just fantastic.

Also, this means we've now had two Doctor Who leads cast as leading Marvel villains.

StCoop wrote: View Post
I'd just be happy for both of them, personally.
Old June 1 2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post

First his friend Andrew Garfield lands the role of Spider-man and now his former co-star is a villain in a highly anticipated Marvel blockbuster.

Everyone is at different stages but yeah his little semi independent movie is miniscule

Not to mention Karen's been in Hollywood for what 8 to 10 months?
Old June 1 2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Also, this means we've now had two Doctor Who leads cast as leading Marvel villains.
Aside from Gillan, whose the other DW lead as a marvel villain?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Gamora, Thanos' (adopted)'daughter, the most dangerous woman in the universe, is taken.

Captain Marvel(Aka Quasar) is the lesbian lover of Moon Dragon, a bald telepath are both key figures previously but not in the current line up.

I'd laugh if she played Groot who is a massive sentient tree.

Mantis, again a plant, but a Hippy plant in danger of smoking herself, monk(nun?) kung fu alien hottie.

oh Shit.

IMdb has Yondu listed which is the classic team form the 70s, which opens up Karens possible role completely unless she's just Starlords crying human wife back on earth who needs to be saved...

Neblua? Evil space Tyrant criminal who Thanos the nihilist death worshipper was not happy about hearing that she had been lying for years to any one who would listen that she was his biological daughter. After they beat each other up, the Mad Titan used the Infinity Gauntlet to adjust time so that he had fathered her after all.

NIkki is a joke. The flaming hair is cool?

Starhawk is a possibility? That's a husband and wife genderbending sharing abody and ultimate power.

I wonder if karen is going to use her real accent?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:11 AM   #10
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Emh wrote: View Post
I had very little interest in the film because I barely even heard of the characters, let alone ever reading any of their stories.
Really? I'm a bit tired of seeing big-budget versions of comic book stories I read as a kid, to be honest. I'd rather see something new, or in this case, something new to me.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Everyone is at different stages but yeah his little semi independent movie is miniscule
I don't think it has anything to do with people "being at different stages", because that would imply that every actor's dream, every actor's motivation is to "make it big", to become popular and to star in summer blockbusters. In my experience, this is patently false and I find it quite alarming that so many people can't imagine that anyone would be motivated by anything else than fame and money. I think most actors are into their line of work because they enjoy acting and want to play a wide variety of roles and be challenged in their craft. Yes, they want to make a living, but I'd say that most of them would pick Matt Smith's "minuscule" movie over Karen Gillan's popcorn flick.
Old June 1 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Anwar wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Aside from Gillan, whose the other DW lead as a marvel villain?
Christopher Eccleston will play Malekith the Accursed in Thor: The Dark World.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I had very little interest in the film because I barely even heard of the characters, let alone ever reading any of their stories.
Really? I'm a bit tired of seeing big-budget versions of comic book stories I read as a kid, to be honest. I'd rather see something new, or in this case, something new to me.
Honestly, part of the reason I wasn't interested was because the premise sounded silly.

In retrospect, I realize how absurd that is. All of the Marvel franchises are a bit silly in premise.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:59 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

This movie had me interested since I first heard of the premise. This news raises my interest.
Old June 1 2013, 04:01 PM   #13
StCoop
Commodore

Since it's looking like the villians in the film will actually be the original GOTG* (who just to confuse you non-comics fans, actually come from the 31st century) I'd say that this is who she's playing:

http://marvel.com/universe/Nikki

*There was a story recently that there were plans to spin Lee Pace's character off into his own film, which wouldn't make much sense if he was only a villian but would if he was a mind-controlled Vance Astro.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Captain Marvel(Aka Quasar) is the lesbian lover of Moon Dragon, a bald telepath are both key figures previously but not in the current line up.
Is she one of Mar-vell's seemingly endless stream of kids?

Mantis, again a plant, but a Hippy plant in danger of smoking herself, monk(nun?) kung fu alien hottie.
I thought she was just married to a plant. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

NIkki is a joke. The flaming hair is cool?
Well, Karen is a redhead.

I wonder if karen is going to use her real accent?
A lot of planets have a Scotland.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Ryva Brall
Commander

When I first saw Karen Gillan on DW, I was unimpressed with her acting skills. It's like she had only two facial expressions: wide-eyed, and wide-eyed and pouty. But she definitely got better as the series went on. She was actually very good in "The Impossible Astronaut". I'm interested to see how she does in "Guardians".

She can't be any worse than January Jones as Emma Frost. *gags*