RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 430
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 31 2013, 01:56 AM   #16
Galactic Alignment
Commander

Re: Wrath of Khan – my favorite design

The TWoK uniforms are the most 'believable' in the sense that you see a diverse range of uniform types in TWoK (and even more in the subsequent films) for different taks and crew, as you would imagine the case in a real (semi-)military organisation. I know this is due to real-world budgetary limitations, but it's always bugged me that in the various TV series, we rarely if ever see a variety of uniforms on the crew apart from the standard ones.

Incidentally, weren't the TWoK uniforms originally going to be gold, blue and red, keeping the TV show divisions scheme, but the chosen gold and blue colours didn't film satisfactorily? Am I remembering that factoid correctly?
Galactic Alignment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:11 AM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Hero costumes then...I'll bet the extras didn't have flaps!
I don't know. The flap seems like a byproduct of how the actors put them on.
Old May 31 2013, 08:47 PM   #18
neoworx
Lieutenant

Costume designer Robert Fletcher made up a series of color samples with the maroon color being chosen because director Nick Meyer liked how it stood out against the background of the bridge set. I've never heard of them specifically considering the TOS colors, but it had to at least cross their minds.

They were also limited by what colors they could dye the TMP jumpsuits since they needed to save money and reuse TMP pieces as much as possible. The maroon color worked well so TMP jumpsuits were dyed and modified to become the WOK crewman uniforms.

As for the flap on the maroons, Meyer wanted a swashbuckling feel to the uniforms and used moves like "Horatio Hornblower" and "The Prisoner of Zenda" as style references.

The flap was simply a functional bit of the uniform that the actors sometimes used. Usually they were only opened when something happened – life support goes out and the bridge gets hot, for instance. The flap interior color also designated rank levels– white for command level and tan for everything else. The flaps were always functional, even in background pieces. I showed the center uniform with an open flap to show command – it's Spock's from ST4. The other – Rand's – has a tan interior.

See more HERE.
neoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:52 AM   #19
Tiberius
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, definitely Saavik's from ST:III
Have you got screenshots? I had a quick flick through the movie and couldn't see it...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:58 AM   #20
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Have you got screenshots? I had a quick flick through the movie and couldn't see it...
It's from the end when it's hot on Vulcan

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd1588.jpg
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:25 AM   #21
neoworx
Lieutenant

Here you can see she has it on under the field jacket. She wears it throughout the film.

Here you can see it in a cast promo shot:

Old June 2 2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Now that I've seen the cast promo shot, I understand why Tom Sutton drew Saavik in that uniform in DC's Star Trek comic. During the run of issues where Kirk commands the Excelsior (offically, #17 through #36, though he unofficially commands the Excelsior midway through the Mirror Universe saga), Sutton drew Saavik with a more casual vest uniform top. For the longest time, I thought that due to Sutton doing his own riff on the uniforms, but now I see that he was following the lead of Star Trek III.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

I always loved the TWOK uniforms but they seems terribly impractical for space in hindsight.

Then again, I always hated the TMP uniforms but looking at them now they looks fairly futuristic and plausible to me (giant belt buckle notwithstanding...)

Great Collection though neoworx!

Old June 10 2013, 07:44 PM   #24
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I do love the uniform designs for TWOK. The movie uniforms are still my favorites concerning the classic movies.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:30 PM   #25
Crazyewok
Commander

My favorite sets of uniforms.

Always liked how functional the engirneering uniforms looked.

Shame they went back to the pajama look in TNG....
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:43 AM   #26
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

The TWOK uniforms are my favorite as well, for their futuristic take on historic naval uniforms.

I do wish that they had kept the three colors from TOS for the jackets. I've often wondered how the TWOK jacket would look in gold and blue.
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:32 PM   #27
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

These are by far my favourite Star Trek uniforms. I love them so much that it actually kind of spoiled all the later TV shows for me that the uniforms were so basic in comparison.

But damn! That Saavik top!
chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:22 PM   #28
neoworx
Lieutenant

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Great Collection though neoworx!
Thanks! I'm just glad to see other fans of the WOK style.

KarmicCurse wrote: View Post
I do wish that they had kept the three colors from TOS for the jackets. I've often wondered how the TWOK jacket would look in gold and blue.
Lots of people have made the same query. I wondered myself so I worked this up. I have to say I'm not a fan.

Old June 12 2013, 05:53 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

neoworx wrote: View Post

Lots of people have made the same query. I wondered myself so I worked this up. I have to say I'm not a fan.

I love that look! If those had been the uniforms, the TWOK uniforms would've easily been my favorite.
Old June 12 2013, 11:48 PM   #30
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^I think it would have worked, we're just not used to seeing them like that.

I think that coloring scheme would have worked a lot better than what they wound up doing in TNG when they tried to "modify" the TWOK uniforms to cheaply suggest an interim design between the TWOK and TNG uniforms. They looked awful without the turtlenecks and belts...essentially a jacket being worn without a shirt underneath.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote