MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 30 2013, 11:21 PM   #76
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

^ I would absolutely concur with your point about the change in Michael. He is, largely, my biggest compaint about the new season. It's one thing to see him having fallen from grace but the way he behaves throughout the fifteen episodes leaves a lot to be desired if we're supposed to be rooting for him the way we did during the first three seasons. I'm willing to let that one go though, because it's painfully obvious the ending of season four was specifically laying ground for the film/season five conflict between Michael and his son with the family in the backdrop as they all come back together.

tighr wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I am still not convinced season four "failed," but this article is the first to even come close to explaining why it might have that makes any sense to me:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/cr...ed-development
I was willing to subscribe to his criticisms until I reached the following paragraph:

The key with any sequel, whether it’s The Godfather II, The Hangover II, or Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, is to think about the promise the original made to the audience, and to deliver on that same promise, in a slightly different way.
All three of those movies (with the possible exception of The Godfather Part II...) don't come close to comparison with the original films. Especially in the case of Hangover Part II and IJ: Temple of Doom, when both of those films are barely shadows of the great films that preceded them.

And, on top of that, I provide counterpoint: Aliens. A film that completely upends the "engine" of its predecessor, and ends up being the superior film. (I note that this is a contentious opinion, however).
All of which is subjective. I love Aliens, Godfather II, and Temple of Doom but Hangover II is, in my opinion, garbage. So what? All it means is that this system works some of the time and not all of the time.
Old May 30 2013, 11:29 PM   #77
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I am still not convinced season four "failed," but this article is the first to even come close to explaining why it might have that makes any sense to me:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/cr...ed-development
I was willing to subscribe to his criticisms until I reached the following paragraph:

The key with any sequel, whether it’s The Godfather II, The Hangover II, or Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, is to think about the promise the original made to the audience, and to deliver on that same promise, in a slightly different way.
All three of those movies (with the possible exception of The Godfather Part II...) don't come close to comparison with the original films. Especially in the case of Hangover Part II and IJ: Temple of Doom, when both of those films are barely shadows of the great films that preceded them.

And, on top of that, I provide counterpoint: Aliens. A film that completely upends the "engine" of its predecessor, and ends up being the superior film. (I note that this is a contentious opinion, however).
I don't think the author was arguing that those sequels were necessarily successful, I think he was just giving examples of how in any genre or level of artistry you should remain true to your purpose.

Also, I think there is a lot more leeway with films than with television. And there's even less leeway with comedies.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 11:32 PM   #78
RoJoHen
Awesome

Honestly, I never thought Michael was a particularly honest or decent person. His son was usually the only reason he ever made the right choices. He used to play the martyr when his family was around, and it made him feel like the better man, but now he doesn't have that audience.
Old May 30 2013, 11:50 PM   #79
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

^ I would absolutely concur with your point about the change in Michael. He is, largely, my biggest compaint about the new season. It's one thing to see him having fallen from grace but the way he behaves throughout the fifteen episodes leaves a lot to be desired if we're supposed to be rooting for him the way we did during the first three seasons. I'm willing to let that one go though, because it's painfully obvious the ending of season four was specifically laying ground for the film/season five conflict between Michael and his son with the family in the backdrop as they all come back together.
I agree, since it was so clear that these episodes were set-up for something to come, I feel like I can't really fully judge them until I've seen what happens next. It's like that point in a TV show or movie when it seems like things have taken a turn for the worst and all hope is lost...until someone does/says/realizes something that saves the day and happiness or normalcy is restored. It's the part of the piece that is hardest to watch, but needs to happen for the good stuff that happens later to make sense. Unfortunately in this case it is 15 episodes long. Although there are still funny jokes and interesting parts, the whole thing gives me a feeling of unease and for that reason I can't see myself rewatching it.
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 31 2013, 06:17 AM   #80
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Honestly, I never thought Michael was a particularly honest or decent person. His son was usually the only reason he ever made the right choices. He used to play the martyr when his family was around, and it made him feel like the better man, but now he doesn't have that audience.
Definitely agree. He was never a good person, he was as bad as any of the family but his son kept him on the straight and narrow, the main thing is we always saw things from Michael's POV, if you think about these episodes where we see it from Michael's point of view his family are asking him for things and he tries to do it, when you see it from their POV he's dealing with them to get what he wants and adding conditions we don't see from his POV, so I think we're supposed to take from that that in the past it took his side of things. George Michael was the moral centre of the show, if anything.

Last edited by Bob The Skutter; May 31 2013 at 06:29 AM.
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 10:08 PM   #81
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just watched Ep 12, and I have to say, I think Maeby has always been a very underrated character on the show. I think I laughed out loud more during this episode than I did any other episode so far. I love viewing the Bluth family through her eyes, and I love that adult Maeby has such a horrible potty mouth.
Old June 1 2013, 12:18 AM   #82
tighr
Commodore

I just watched Ep 12, and I have to say, I think Maeby has always been a very underrated character on the show. I think I laughed out loud more during this episode than I did any other episode so far. I love viewing the Bluth family through her eyes, and I love that adult Maeby has such a horrible potty mouth.
I love Maeby, always been my favorite character.

I wish Alia Shawkat was in more stuff, but I love watching her on AD.

I know George Michael and Maeby are 22/23 now on the show, but it still seems weird that both characters were having sex, because the last time we saw them they were in high school.
Old June 1 2013, 12:20 AM   #83
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

By the way, this family was having a lot of sex this season. Not a good or bad thing, just something that stuck out to me!
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 1 2013, 12:30 AM   #84
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love Maeby, always been my favorite character.

I wish Alia Shawkat was in more stuff, but I love watching her on AD.

I know George Michael and Maeby are 22/23 now on the show, but it still seems weird that both characters were having sex, because the last time we saw them they were in high school.
And high schoolers never have sex.
Old June 1 2013, 02:21 AM   #85
tighr
Commodore

And high schoolers never have sex.
I didn't say that. I said G-M and Maeby were having sex (and not with each other), but didn't on the original show.
Old June 1 2013, 04:42 AM   #86
Anna Yolei
Vice Admiral

I'm noticing a lack of other characters though with this format; not nearly enough Maeby or George Michael so far, and we've only just started seeing GOB.
I'm hoping that this was just the PTB's way of getting us caught up to what happened over the past six years and that the next season will be a bit more inclusive. This new format reminds me way too much of the split narrative that "Glee" has been doing by having the show set in two different locations that did neither side any favors.

The first episode (aside from the tedious voting gag) is considerably more funny with a second re-watch. But as others have mentioned it should have been able to stand up better on its own merits. But considering this was shot over six months and trying to work around all nine actors' schedules, it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

As for the new season, Gob, Buster and Maeby really carried it for me, from Gob's bromance--ish--thing with Tony Wonder to Buster becoming a "Motherman" to Maeby's ironic fate at the end of her episode.
Anna Yolei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:53 AM   #87
Anna Yolei
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why)
Portia de Rossi has had a lot of plastic surgery in the seven years since the show ended, and not all of it was done particularly competently.
There were a couple of shots from the stills where I mistook de Rossi for Nicole Ritchie. Seriously.

It's a shame when obviously beautiful women get work done and don't know when to stop. Any actress that is thinking about multiple plastic surgeries should look up Hunter Tylo as a warning tale. The before pictures are very easy to spot, and hopefully someone will tell de Rossi when enough is enough on that.
Old June 1 2013, 05:13 AM   #88
tighr
Commodore

I'm in the middle of a rewatch, and it occurs to me that a lot of the weirdness in Portia de Rossi's look probably stems from what must be a blond wig. Before she started shooting the season, she already had the short haircut, so to film scenes set immediately after the Queen Mary incident she needed a wig, which doesn't do too good a job of replicating her "look" from 2006. She looks much more natural in her second episode with the short hair.
Old June 1 2013, 05:38 AM   #89
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm in the middle of a rewatch, and it occurs to me that a lot of the weirdness in Portia de Rossi's look probably stems from what must be a blond wig. Before she started shooting the season, she already had the short haircut, so to film scenes set immediately after the Queen Mary incident she needed a wig, which doesn't do too good a job of replicating her "look" from 2006. She looks much more natural in her second episode with the short hair.
Totally agree. Even the red wig she wears later looks better. With the blonde wig, her forehead looks HUGE.

Anyway, I just finished the last episode, and now I'm upset that there isn't any more! I honestly don't want them to make a movie; I never did. I don't think this show would translate well to a movie format. I just want another season.
Old June 1 2013, 05:58 AM   #90
Anna Yolei
Vice Admiral

From what I've read, Netflix has been getting a lot of foot traffic because of the relaunch, and for years, this show has been one of its most popular. It's good business for them, and I admit that I'd never used the service until this past weekend...and now I've found other reasons to keep with them after the free trial ends. Unless the actors' schedules prove far too hectic to attempt this, the powers that be at Netflix would be fools not to greenlight a new season.