Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 31 2013, 06:36 PM   #6136
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I just get alternately amused and fed up by all these anonymous keyboard warriors sitting at home slagging off the looks of women who are at the very least above-average looking. They don't have to find the women attractive but sometimes if you have nothing nice to say, it's better to say nothing at all.
That's the thing. Kirsten Dunst was the typical cute child actor that grew into a not so cute adult. She's a fine actor and continues to get work based on her talent, but Mary Jane Watson -supermodel? No, not in the same ballpark.
Old May 31 2013, 06:53 PM   #6137
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Actually, that was a shot at The Artist, a new silent film released in 2011 and that won Best Picture from the academy awards that year (like a lot of people pointed out) and the other I mentioned was Slumdog Millionaire. I remember seeing something about it on the news and just laughing about the fact that it was the goofiest thing I'd heard of for awhile. It was just used as an observation that I'm not in the audience for most film critic loved movies that win awards like that, because they're usually bizarre and not normal movies. Those two were the most obvious examples to me.
I get that it was a shot at the Artist, but you aimed widely to try and take down all silent films.

I would say that you should see The Artist, the reason it's a silent film is actually a part of its story. It's a funny and moving story... and that makes it quite an achievement to win for best picture... a comedy RARELY wins.

And I get that you think you aren't the audience for most "critic loved movies" but I think you aren't the audience for a LOT of movies.
I'm not trying to take down all silent films. On the other hand, a silent film in this day and age is just an artsy film for critics, period. I can accept people using black and white and not strictly trying to make a movie for artsy movie critics, but a silent movie? Why don't they just start giving out awards to cave paintings. They only made silent movies because they couldn't do movies with dialog. As soon as they could, I'm pretty sure silent films basically disappeared. Its fine if people like it, but to me its just confusing and laughable to see a silent movie win anything outside of some film festival award.

As for not being the audience for a lot of movies, thats probably partially true. I hate a lot of the recent comedies from the last several years (I don't hate comedy, but I do hate Adam Sandler and most "comedy" movies nowadays are either horrible parody movies or just stupid, the last newer comedy I liked was Tropic Thunder), I don't watch romantic movies (although those aren't aimed at guys anyway), I don't usually watch action movies (although that doesn't mean I hate the genre, I just don't naturally pick up an action movie that doesn't have some hook I'm interested in, but I'm usually entertained when I pick a random one up), and I don't watch bizarre artsy movies (usually, and when I do its very rare and not so much artsy as just gimmicky like Memento, which was awesome).

Just as an example, I looked at the list of movies coming out in 2013. These are some of the ones that interest me (this includes movies that have already came out or will come out)

Evil Dead
GI Joe: Retaliation
Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Star Trek: Into Darkness (Star trek interests me, so its on this list, although I'm sure everyone knows I hate JJ Abrams and this is on the list just because I know I'll see it on DVD at some point)
Man of Steel (because I'm interested in superheroes, even though this movie looks pretty bad)
Riddick (I liked the first two Riddick movies, and I definately want to see this)
World War Z (it looks like it could be decent)
The Wolverine
Kick Ass 2
The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug
R.I.P.D (This has the potential to be terrible, but it looks like it could be interesting)

This isn't a complete list, but its just a bunch of movies that have or will come out this year that I'd say I'm definately interested in, just to kind of show the types of movies I like. Its not the only examples, and there is stuff I like thats not represented here, but it probably says something about the movies I watch. Am I going to go out and watch the latest Tom Cruise movie action movie? No. Am I going to watch a random shaky cam horror movie? No. I've already said I don't have the most diverse tastes, but that isn't really relevant to this topic. A Superman movie is definately something that I'd watch (even if its just out of morbid curiosity to see what they did to Superman). Amy Adams movies are mostly not, but a lot of them aren't really normal movies anyway.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 06:53 PM   #6138
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I liked Dunst fine as Mary Jane. She's very attractive.

Not one of the guys who "slag off on women on the Internet," as you say, has ever been with anyone as attractive as the women they're criticizing. I guarantee you that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:54 PM   #6139
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I never liked Dunst as MJ but it was never because of her looks. She's certainly bangable enough.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 09:03 PM   #6140
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Not one of the guys who "slag off on women on the Internet," as you say, has ever been with anyone as attractive as the women they're criticizing. I guarantee you that.
I'm not one to normally "slag off on women on the internet", but in Dunst's case, I just never felt like she lived up to the Mary Jane Watson portrayal of the comics.

I just did a google image search of Dunst and will admit that for the majority of the pics that came up, she looks stunning. Those pics happen to also be studio shots maximized to look their best. Far better than more candid live action film footage.
Old May 31 2013, 09:16 PM   #6141
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I'm not one to normally "slag off on women on the internet", but in Dunst's case, I just never felt like she lived up to the Mary Jane Watson portrayal of the comics.
The MJ of the Raimi movies wasn't the MJ of the comics, though. She was a girl-next-door MJ who becomes a stage actress rather than a sassy bombshell who becomes a supermodel/soap star.
Old May 31 2013, 09:37 PM   #6142
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

. A Superman movie is definately something that I'd watch (even if its just out of morbid curiosity to see what they did to Superman). Amy Adams movies are mostly not, but a lot of them aren't really normal movies anyway.
Your Superman "experience" seems very limited.

The films you listed are mostly genre films and therefore are not "normal" movies. Amy Adams credits are probably a lot more "normal" than you think.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The MJ of the Raimi movies wasn't the MJ of the comics, though. She was a girl-next-door MJ who becomes a stage actress rather than a sassy bombshell who becomes a supermodel/soap star.
Exactly.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 09:49 PM   #6143
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah it seemed pretty obvious to me that Raimi was going for a more innocent, 1960s vibe with those characters, and wanted MJ to be a more believable girl next door type for Peter. Which I personally think was a good move.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 11:38 PM   #6144
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
She's B-list, if even that.
How many B-listers have been nominated for four Oscars?
Old May 31 2013, 11:43 PM   #6145
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it seemed pretty obvious to me that Raimi was going for a more innocent, 1960s vibe with those characters, and wanted MJ to be a more believable girl next door type for Peter. Which I personally think was a good move.
Especially for a Peter Parker that looks like Tobey Maguire.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Wait, someone's complaining about films that they haven't seen winning awards (and they're serious)?!? Ah, the Internet.
Truly a wondrous, soul-destroying place.
Old May 31 2013, 11:56 PM   #6146
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, and anyone who dislikes a movie hasn't made a film as good as the one their criticizing.

Nobody is allowed to criticize anything.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:05 AM   #6147
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
. A Superman movie is definately something that I'd watch (even if its just out of morbid curiosity to see what they did to Superman). Amy Adams movies are mostly not, but a lot of them aren't really normal movies anyway.

The films you listed are mostly genre films and therefore are not "normal" movies. Amy Adams credits are probably a lot more "normal" than you think.
Well, I seem to have a few people that agree that she's not a household name, so there is that. As for my superman experience, here's basically what I can recall seeing/reading involving Superman

TV/Direct to DVD movies:
All of Superman TAS
All of Justice League
All of Smallville
A few episodes of the old Black and White Superman
A few episodes of Lois & Clark
Every DC Direct Animated movie with him except The Dark Knight Returns

Movies:
Superman 1 & 2, and good portions of 3 &4
Superman Returns

Comics:
About 25-30 issues of Silver age superman (from various DC Showcase collections)
Some Golden Age Superman stories
All of the JMS started "Grounded" arc before the reboot
The first six issues of All Star Superman
Various issues of Action comics
A lot of Justice League comics
A lot of various event comics and misc appearances, way too many to list

I'd say that, in general, I have a good amount of experience with Superman. As for "normal" movies, what exactly would those be? The Muppets? Julie & Julia? Even though I may prefer certain kinds of movies, Adams hasn't been in a lot of movies directed toward a general audience (and not ones specificly made for women/kids/independant film fans). She's been in a few, but what does it matter?

My point was that it wasn't that unusual that I didn't know her, and other people have agreed that she's not a household name. I can count the number of movies I've seen with Angelina Jolie on one finger (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which I saw on TV when I was bored) but I still know who she is. Same with actors like, for example, Clint Eastwood (I don't actually think I've every watched a full movie he's been in). I don't need to have seen many (or even one) movie neccesarily to know who an actor is if they're very famous. Adams isn't super famous, regardless of what my movie tastes are.

Is the Amy Adams famous or not question answered now? If I'm making big posts in this thread, it might as well be more on topic, if more rage filled, stuff about the movie than arguing over whether the bland Lois in what looks to be a horrible Superman movie is very famous or not.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:10 AM   #6148
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Your version of a general audience is effectively a 'true scotsman' argument.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:06 AM   #6149
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I didn't watch the comic, but the movie that Raimi made. Mary Jane in the movie is Peter's next door neighbor and friend, who intends to be an actress. None of that has anything necessarily to do with being "a superhot model." She's pretty enough, and Toby was dorky enough.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:34 AM   #6150
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Well, I seem to have a few people that agree that she's not a household name, so there is that. As for my superman experience, here's basically what I can recall seeing/reading involving Superman

TV/Direct to DVD movies:
All of Superman TAS
All of Justice League
All of Smallville
A few episodes of the old Black and White Superman
A few episodes of Lois & Clark
Every DC Direct Animated movie with him except The Dark Knight Returns

Movies:
Superman 1 & 2, and good portions of 3 &4
Superman Returns

Comics:
About 25-30 issues of Silver age superman (from various DC Showcase collections)
Some Golden Age Superman stories
All of the JMS started "Grounded" arc before the reboot
The first six issues of All Star Superman
Various issues of Action comics
A lot of Justice League comics
A lot of various event comics and misc appearances, way too many to list
I'd say that, in general, I have a good amount of experience with Superman.
Action Comics and Superman are his main "venues". If you haven't read those in the last 10-30 years then your experience in where the character has been and is going is limited.

As for "normal" movies, what exactly would those be? The Muppets? Julie & Julia? Even though I may prefer certain kinds of movies, Adams hasn't been in a lot of movies directed toward a general audience (and not ones specificly made for women/kids/independant film fans). She's been in a few, but what does it matter?
"Normal" movies are RomComs, Dramas, Comedy and biopics. I'd say a large percentage of her body of work was geared to general audience.

My point was that it wasn't that unusual that I didn't know her, and other people have agreed that she's not a household name. I can count the number of movies I've seen with Angelina Jolie on one finger (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which I saw on TV when I was bored) but I still know who she is. Same with actors like, for example, Clint Eastwood (I don't actually think I've every watched a full movie he's been in). I don't need to have seen many (or even one) movie neccesarily to know who an actor is if they're very famous. Adams isn't super famous, regardless of what my movie tastes are.
The point was she's been in popular films, was nominated for an Oscar and has a certain level of name recognition.

Is the Amy Adams famous or not question answered now? If I'm making big posts in this thread, it might as well be more on topic, if more rage filled, stuff about the movie than arguing over whether the bland Lois in what looks to be a horrible Superman movie is very famous or not
Depends on what the next topic will be.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote