Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 31 2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Civ001
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Why do non gamers bash gamers?

I also think that another reason why people hate video games is because of their addicting effects on people. Some say that video game addiction is a real disorder. While some believe that it is not. Like this guy who opened up a video game addiciton clinic: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...sterdam-health

Although, I do wonder how Video game Addiction AA meetings go. If they are at all anything like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccn9V8V10q4
Civ001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 07:47 PM   #17
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

1 ADDICTION
Games these days are made to be extremely addictive, the scenarios, colors, noises in certain games all have an extremely psychologically addictive influence on the human brain. The games are now being designed to reward addiction not your play ability, you are rewarded with online experience points, rewards for the total time online and not your level of skill, some studies suggest games like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft etc are as addictive as cigarettes or cocaine

2 BODY HEALTH
Sitting in one spot is very bad for people's bones, muscle, posture and circulation. People who sit in front of a screen generally are not eating properlyWe all spend too much time at the office or studying for the next exam so why spend free time sitting in front of the computer

3 GEEKY NERDY PERSONALITY DISORDER
Life stinks and the world sucks but so what? You still need to file your taxes, do your work, feed your neighbors pets when they went on vacation and get on with the general drudgery of everyday life. Gamers are sometimes just way too disconnected with reality, just as the ex-girlfriend of an obsessive gamer with all the BS they had to go through in their realtionship

4 WASTE OF FINANCE , getting too far into the gaming world can lead to loss of ambition at work, serious debt cos some games are based on gambling like poker, other games take your credit card for the time you spend on their online networks and collecting games and consoles is an expensive hobby

5 MENTAL HEALTH, a large percentage of people with very bad social mental problems are now coming from gamer backgrounds, you have crazy formals draw up by doctors (tech addiction from youth, with Tetris Effect + violent media content +/- psychotropic medication + deprivation of touch with nature = formula for disaster

That said I'm a gamer myself
I think games are fascinating, its an artform, entertaining and games have brilliant worlds where people play in a new progressive media
but all nearly games come with a warning
It says to play them only for 1-2 hours at maximum exposure, it warns you about this when you install the game or its in the playstation and xbox handbooks

Like all things, the gaming entertainment industry should be taken in moderation
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:23 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

^and how many people actually read the manual?

But gamingas with anything, it's all about moderation. I maybe play on my 360 for an 1-3 hours a week, except when I get a new game or I decide to have a bit of a session on a game. Sometimes I won't switch it on for weeks or even months.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
The games are now being designed to reward addiction not your play ability, you are rewarded with online experience points, rewards for the total time online and not your level of skill
Ugh, don't remind me.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 10:08 PM   #20
Civ001
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Totalbiscuit explains this very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNRWvabBRDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yssXWYR91bs
Civ001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:03 PM   #21
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Play an online game or visit a dedicated gaming forum and it's easy to see why gamers are viewed with such contempt.

I like games myself, but it's tough to deny that they seem to attract people from the shallow end of the gene pool.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Well, based on gamefaqs you could take away that impression...
Old June 1 2013, 11:03 PM   #23
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

GameFAQs is pretty good on the more isolated forums. It's the popular forums that attract the idiots and kids. The same could be said of here.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 01:58 AM   #24
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

I prefer not to tell people that I play games. Some guy gamers seem to think females only play games to get attention. It is infuriating. And then there are those who actually get interested just because you are a female who plays games. Thankfully most male gamers don't go cray cray in either direction .

I've had a lot of negative reactions from non gamers if they discover i play. I wouldn't call myself a gamer though. I play video games but I'm not devoted to them. I've never felt the need to be better than other players. Even in online games I prefer playing on my own. A "gamer" is someone who is devoted to getting the best results, winning and competing. Most of the gamers I know are sweet and awesome. But all of them have their nerd rages, and to someone who doesn't play these minutes of rage probably look like childish tantrums. (which they in some cases are) Also! A lot of gamers ignore a lot of things they should be doing so they can play games. Housework, homework, work.. Or even caring for their children or pets.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:47 AM   #25
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Sephiroth wrote: View Post
Because of social misconceptions that gamers are all shut-in nerds who haven't seen the light of day since moving into their parents basement. That's called a stereotype mixed with social stigma. Thank you for that L.A.R.P.-ers.
What are you talking about, Larping involves running around outside on fields.
that was a joke, Teacake
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:40 AM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Because they are jealous that gamers have said fuck you to the boring real world and are now riding on mythical beasts over mythical lands of myth and slaying stuff.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:55 PM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Of course they bash gaming as a waste of time. They need something to do while they're downing their 8th Budweiser at 3 AM while trying to pick up the last woman at the bar who they never intend to call again.

Seriously though, I think the gamers who play five hours a day do have an addiction. That group just represents a very small percentage of gamers who get unfairly identified with the whole.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; June 2 2013 at 09:09 PM.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:14 PM   #28
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Seriously though, I think the gamers who play five hours a day do have an addiction. That group just represents a very small percentage of gamers who get unfairly identified with the whole.
Hmm I dunno about that. A lot of gamers play more than 5 hours a day. A lot of them play all day. I think the cray cray gamers are the one who decide not to socialize at all. Like.. Get invited to a fun thing with friends and says no to play instead.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:37 PM   #29
Davros
Fleet Admiral

If the only games a person plays are video games, I don't really consider them to be gamers.
Old June 4 2013, 11:48 PM   #30
Relayer1
Commodore

As an avid reader I am constantly frustrated by my 15 year olds lack of interest in reading while he will spend endless hours pointlessly blowing or hacking the crap out of things in any number of identikit video games. Its repetitive, its unimaginitive and its a waste. He has a very high IQ and is a high flier at school. If only he would give his imagination a chance...he is missing out on so much.

Answer your question ?

PS - back in the day I had a Mega drive and a PS1. I packed them away when I realised that I got really bored with repetetive gaming and didn't finish games - in fact 30 minutes was enough of most titles for me, whilst reading Lord of the Rings interested me for days....