Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 31 2013, 12:21 PM   #151
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: is babylonian 5 any good

^^^Yes, you're right, it was a speech to the Naval Academy graduating class.

Re Heinlein's wingnuttery, try finding any Patrick Henry League literature.

Sisko should have talked to the Prophets like Sheridan talked to the Vorlons. I don't see how it's possible to view both as mature men trying to accomplish worthwhile goals.
Old May 31 2013, 12:58 PM   #152
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Sisko had Prophet DNA so he was fucked.

Speech link please.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:15 PM   #153
Neroon
Mod of balance

teacake wrote: View Post
We're waiting for tmosler to get back to us about her Babylon 5 viewing and keeping the thread warm while we wait.
It would work out MUCH better if you "kept it warm" with b5-oriented content.

For example, how many folks here can recall how they started their B5 viewing? Was it at the urging of a friend or a commercial or a convention. etc?
Old May 31 2013, 01:22 PM   #154
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Speech link please.
Old May 31 2013, 01:24 PM   #155
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Speech link please.
Every species in the galaxy had been surgically altered on a genetic level, which sure as custard, would be passed down forever through bloodlines making humans submissive and agreeable to Vorlons.

Sheridan is only capable of being as asshole to Kosh when he is shielded from the vorlonocity of Kosh by his encounter suit.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:28 PM   #156
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Helluva speech.

I've had two romances I ever got woozy over. One was Roslin and Adama and the other was Sheridan and Delenn. Watching that.. they look so wonderful

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 01:31 PM   #157
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
We're waiting for tmosler to get back to us about her Babylon 5 viewing and keeping the thread warm while we wait.

For example, how many folks here can recall how they started their B5 viewing? Was it at the urging of a friend or a commercial or a convention. etc?
On topic, that's a thought. Back from Japan briefly, I caught Deathwalker. The opening where NaToth went after her was great. And the slow reveal of what Deathwalker was to many of the parties in the episode was great. Other episodes like 'Voice in the Wilderness' with Ivanova's Rules to the guys in the shuttle, even Garibaldi's 'zip-button' routine were great. I'd long grown tired of TNG Trek's perfect humanity, and every episode needing to be meaningful and full of meaningful conversation. Folks in B5 had silly human conversations, played practical jokes on each other, and could be stupid, venal, crass, and silly, but still rise to higher moments of kindness, and humanity. The B5 characters came across as interesting and believable folks that I wanted to see the story of.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:31 PM   #158
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Speech link please.
Every species in the galaxy had been surgically altered on a genetic level, which sure as custard, would be passed down forever through bloodlines making humans submissive and agreeable to Vorlons.

Sheridan is only capable of being as asshole to Kosh when he is shielded from the vorlonocity of Kosh by his encounter suit.
So the DS9 parallels continue. I think the natural evolution of mankind got away from the Vorlons who were a little too cocky after a few millennium.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 01:43 PM   #159
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Speech link please.

So the DS9 parallels continue. I think the natural evolution of mankind got away from the Vorlons who were a little too cocky after a few millennium.
The Vorlons and Shadows were treating the species of the galaxy as their giant ant farm. That's the point of G'Kar's speech to Sinclair's girlfriend after all. As Lorien put it, they were no longer interested in helping the younger races, instead, the Vorlons and Shadows had become interested in proving who was right. They were an Internet argument made manifest. The younger races were the hapless victims of titanic trolls. Whether the recognition of the Vorlons was genetic (which was Sheridan's assumption) or it was a telepathic ability of the Vorlons (which his exhaustion after saving Sinclair implies) or it is a combination is hard to tell.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:47 PM   #160
Forbin
Admiral

I had an Amiga computer, and since B5 special effects were being created on the Amiga platform with the still-under-development Video Toaster 3D board and LightWave software, renders of the station and the Starfuries were showing up in Amiga-centric magazines long before The Gathering aired. I attended a meeting of an Amiga users group just to see a few minutes of B5 effects footage. I couldn't WAIT for the pilot to air, and I made sure I didn't miss it.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 02:56 PM   #161
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I was very, very fascinated with CG Animation, and a Space Opera Fanatic and the Commercials for The Gathering roped me in. I wasn't completely entranced by the story yet, but, the first shot of the Vorlon Cruiser coming in for Docking had me desperate to see more, even if the story turned out to be garbage. Then And the Sky Full of Stars aired, and I knew the Series was going to be very deep and incredible and I was a fan for life (For the story as well as the CGI) from that episode on, and it just kept getting better from there.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 05:53 PM   #162
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Jan wrote: View Post

So...is anybody else going to even mention B5 in this thread?

Jan
Babylon 5 is a great show.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 06:16 PM   #163
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Since you asked for a story, here's mine:

After seeing The Gathering in first run in 1993, I thought it good, but figured that it was just another "one off" in the sci-fi boom that happened that spring alongside DS9 and Space Rangers, and one or two others that I can't recall at the moment. I had no idea that it was going to be a series, and, a year later when THAT was announced, I attempted to watch it, only, my TV guide listed it as being on Sunday mornings at 3:30am. So, I set my VCR, but ALWAYS got the last 30 minutes of a movie, and an informerical. This went on for two years, and I finally just gave up, figuring that this series was a hoax, or lie, or something.

Then, in 1998, TNT premiered the fifth season, along with reruns of the first four, at a promised 7pm weeknight time slot. I was skeptical, but again, set my VCR, and to my surprise, ACTUALLY saw the show. Shortly after this, I discovered that it was a serialized program with a set ending, so, rather than watch it every week, I taped all the episodes on TNT, acquired an in-order episode list, and waited for season five to end. Then, when I had them all, I started watching one episode a day off my tapes in early 1999, and was hooked.

Also, around this time, I became aware of that whole "DS9 stole from B5" business, and THAT helped to make me curious about the show too, since I had been watching DS9 on my local FOX station for it's entire run (the TV guide reported CORRECT air times for that show).
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 11:00 PM   #164
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The Vorlons and Shadows were treating the species of the galaxy as their giant ant farm. That's the point of G'Kar's speech to Sinclair's girlfriend after all. As Lorien put it, they were no longer interested in helping the younger races, instead, the Vorlons and Shadows had become interested in proving who was right. They were an Internet argument made manifest. The younger races were the hapless victims of titanic trolls.
I am going to remember this one.

So was Lorien a moderator?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:20 AM   #165
nightwind1
Commodore

Well, I was a member of the B5 forum on GEnie, before the show ever aired. Saw the first episode as it was broadcast, and every episode as it aired after that.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote