RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,734
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 951
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 31 2013, 01:28 AM   #1486
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Trek does need some more younger fans. I got into the franchise as a child, in the 90s, during the Berman era, but I was probably a minority.

Another animated series is a great idea. It should happen.

Seeing this movie sitting there, not even at 300 million after three weeks of release (internationally), is increasingly frustrating.

I am wondering where all the Star Wars fans, eager to see how their new overlord fares with sci fi, are
Old May 31 2013, 01:34 AM   #1487
Borgminister

Watching Fast and Furious and Iron Man.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 02:05 AM   #1488
indranee
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
So you're saying that the less we see of "old" Trek (even TNG) on TV, the better for the reboot? Hmm.
Yes.

However I would prefer Trek stay on TV and everyone in the world of all ages experiences its awesomeness I just think that it might look dated now to today's teens and as a result might perhaps impact on that demographic at STID box office.

Let 1000 teens watch a random episode of any Star Trek and I think chances are 900+ won't like it.

The obvious antidote is a new TV show or cartoon.
Well, as long as they show DS9 I'm good

(they DON'T show it now.... the bastadges )
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 02:13 AM   #1489
indranee
Vice Admiral

Berman didn't really "make" DS9. Ira Behr and Ron Moore had way more to do with its look, feel, and arc.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:01 AM   #1490
I am not Spock
Commodore

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Really? SW fans see more in common with those movies, than with Star Trek? Wow.

I guess Trek 09 really was a fluke. Someone at Paramount got a bit too excited with the budget with this one.
Old May 31 2013, 03:12 AM   #1491
Borgminister

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
Really? SW fans see more in common with those movies, than with Star Trek? Wow.

I guess Trek 09 really was a fluke. Someone at Paramount got a bit too excited with the budget with this one.
SW has always been more of a mainstream product than ST, you know that.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:14 AM   #1492
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I don't know, I'm a huge fan of both franchises. Just because SW is more mainstream by and large, that has no bearing on my (lack of) interest to go see F&F. I know a lot of people in the same boat.

That said, sure. I can take the hit, especially where Iron Man is concerned. I do know a lot of people who skipped out on ST09 and STID but went to all three Iron Man flicks and look forward to more Star Wars.

Last edited by Jeff O'Connor; May 31 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Jeff O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:16 AM   #1493
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

throwback wrote: View Post
If you are a fan of Star Trek, is that the Star Trek you want?
That's a silly rhetorical question, given that we've actually seen the film and don't have to base anything on a snarky article about focus groups.

As a nearly fifty-year fan of Star Trek, this movie is the Star Trek I want - this year. I look forward to seeing more Star Trek movies, which will each be different and will continue to change with the world in which they're being made.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:31 AM   #1494
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
If you are a fan of Star Trek, is that the Star Trek you want?
That's a silly rhetorical question, given that we've actually seen the film and don't have to base anything on a snarky article about focus groups.

As a nearly fifty-year fan of Star Trek, this movie is the Star Trek I want - this year. I look forward to seeing more Star Trek movies, which will each be different and will continue to change with the world in which they're being made.
Replace fifty with forty and this is spot on how I feel.
Old May 31 2013, 05:17 AM   #1495
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

It looks like After Earth is gonna flop to the tune of 30-35M this weekend. STID should coast nicely until MOS comes out.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:45 AM   #1496
JamesRye
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some of you guys need to get a grip dammit!

STID will cross the $300 million dollar mark this weekend (global total) and by the end of its run, will probably make $400-$500 million. This will make it the most successful Trek movie ever (bar the possible exception of TMP).

Crikey - it's going to beat Star Trek 09's global gross and do rather nicely, thank you very much.
JamesRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 10:57 AM   #1497
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

JamesRye wrote: View Post

STID will cross the $300 million dollar mark this weekend (global total) and by the end of its run, will probably make $400-$500 million. This will make it the most successful Trek movie ever (bar the possible exception of TMP).

Crikey - it's going to beat Star Trek 09's global gross and do rather nicely, thank you very much.
I've used a few inflation calculators, and TMP's 1979 worldwide take of $139,000,000 is worth roughly $433,000,000 in today's money. I realise there are many other factors to take into account, but I do think the comparison is a fair guide.

Based on that, STID has a good shot at becoming the most successful Trek movie - when judged by the final dollar tally at least.
Old May 31 2013, 11:17 AM   #1498
throwback
Captain

If there were more of the Admiral Buzzkill-type fans, this film wouldn't be where it is profit-wise. Unfortunately, there are not.

The film needs to make $380 million to be successful. It is still treading water in the mid-$260s million. For the film to make $300 million, it will need to get $30 million in profits.

As for After Earth, I don't know if it will succeed. The film does have a positive - Will Smith - and a negative - MNS. Maybe the two will balance out.

Next week, there isn't a strong challenger coming out for number one. Then, the week after, there will be the Man of Steel. So, Star Trek has two more weeks to attempt to reach $380 million. It's possible, and I am rooting for all those Admiral Buzzkills that are out there that it will happen. If it does happen, then the chances of getting the film they want are greater.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 12:18 PM   #1499
Roald
Commander

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
JamesRye wrote: View Post

I've used a few inflation calculators, and TMP's 1979 worldwide take of $139,000,000 is worth roughly $433,000,000 in today's money. I realise there are many other factors to take into account, but I do think the comparison is a fair guide.

Based on that, STID has a good shot at becoming the most successful Trek movie - when judged by the final dollar tally at least.
No, it's not a fair guide. In 1979, there were no crappy downloadable cam versions that legions of people watch instead of going to the cinema... There wasn't even home video, so the only way to see TMP was in the cinema (and thereafter, hoping it would air on television in about 3 to 4 years at minimum)... Today, so many people will think: 'I'll check it out when it comes out on DVD/blu ray/ whatever'. I think when you take that into account, the whole 'unadjusted gross' check of films that were released prior to the home cinema age is very flawed...
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 12:50 PM   #1500
Flake
Commodore

Roald wrote: View Post
No, it's not a fair guide. In 1979, there were no crappy downloadable cam versions that legions of people watch instead of going to the cinema... There wasn't even home video, so the only way to see TMP was in the cinema (and thereafter, hoping it would air on television in about 3 to 4 years at minimum)... Today, so many people will think: 'I'll check it out when it comes out on DVD/blu ray/ whatever'. I think when you take that into account, the whole 'unadjusted gross' check of films that were released prior to the home cinema age is very flawed...
Agreed. I think ST09 and STID gross can only be compared with any Trek movie from TUC/GENS onward.

In 1979-1989 the population was smaller but there was less channels on TV, no internet, no DVD, no Blu-Ray, no PPV, no piracy and movies made their money over several months rather than several weeks. I know VHS started coming in during the mid 80s but it was only in the early-mid 90s that they were in every household I think.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote