Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 31 2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Civ001
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why do non gamers bash gamers?

I have noticed that there seems to be some kind of pity on people who play video games. People who don't play video games would often look down on those who do play video games and just see what we do as "pointless" or a "waste" of time. Why is there so much hatred on those who play video games? Why do non gamers look down on us and feel bad for us? Why do non gamers say so many mean things about gaming? I never see people hate on those who are obsessive about watching sports, or doing Fantasy Football, or reading.
Civ001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 06:33 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why do non gamers bash gamers?

Because they are jealous that gamers have said fuck you to the boring real world and are now riding on mythical beasts over mythical lands of myth and slaying stuff.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Because of social misconceptions that gamers are all shut-in nerds who haven't seen the light of day since moving into their parents basement. That's called a stereotype mixed with social stigma. Thank you for that L.A.R.P.-ers.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

The same can be said about readers...
The amount of weird looks i have gotten over the years when i said i read a lot...
Same as when i say i still play videogames at my age..
And i'm 39...
Old May 31 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
Because of social misconceptions that gamers are all shut-in nerds who haven't seen the light of day since moving into their parents basement. That's called a stereotype mixed with social stigma. Thank you for that L.A.R.P.-ers.
What are you talking about, Larping involves running around outside on fields.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Because the universe is challenging gamers with social stigmatism to make them become more awesome, creative, and enlightened.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral

You mean the universe only wants them to level up?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

This type of behaviour isn't just limited to gamers vs non-gamers. You'll find it everywhere, Sci_fi sometimes has a stigma attached to it, as in why to you watch that fantasy stuff? Yet they'll happy watch something equally made-up (saying that most TV at it's basic level no matter the genre is about a writter making up stuff).

I suspect the same is also true for people who don't watch a certain certain vs people who watch that certain sport.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
teacake
Admiral

Actually all my years in Azeroth WERE "pointless" and a "waste of time".

Sometimes I try and wring out a little regret about it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 01:10 PM   #10
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

In the 80s and 90s, video games were considered by most people to be little more than electronic toys intended for children and teens, and just like other toys it was expected that we would grow out of them by our 20s. Instead, the video game industry expanded and started making games aimed at adults. Cartoon sprites like Mario and Sonic evolved into photo-realistic characters with personalities that you can form an emotional connection with. Pixelated fantasy worlds evolved into highly immersive 3D environments with incredible levels of detail. Short and silly text dumps evolved into interesting stories that can engross the player just as well as a TV show. Video games still have a ways to go before they can claim to be as mature as some other forms of popular media, but they've long since stopped being toys intended for children.

But to those who don't follow video games, many still view them as toys that we should grow out of, and the fact that we didn't suggests to them that we're immature man-children. (No offence ladies, but the preconception of most people is that gamers are male.)
Old May 31 2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Pretty much the same thing happened with Rock & Roll back in the 50's and 60's. It may be hard to appreciate now, but back then the music of Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, The Everly Brother, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. etc. was for the most part considered to be music solely for young people. The expectation being that when the kids got older they'd leave that behind and start listening to grown up music just like mum and dad.
However, just like with video games, it came as a bit of a shock when the next decade rolled around and the kids of the 50's became the adults of the 60's and didn't grow out of Rock and Roll but kept with it and the new generation of musicians that grew up with it, evolved the medium further into a much more mature art form.

Video games are pretty much in the same place right now. Of course this brings with it the terrifying prospect that we have the video game equivalent of the disco era to look forward to, if indeed it's not already upon us. Either way, I'll be giving that a miss.

Last edited by Reverend; May 31 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Non-gamers do not bash gamers. Gaming is as socially acceptable as watching films.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:45 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I think you can find conflicts like that everywhere.

What, you watch TV?

What, you don't watch TV? What are is your furniture aligned to?

What, you don't like Star Wars?

What, you don't like Shakespeare?

What, you voted for Obama?

What, you're on Trek BBS?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 04:33 PM   #14
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Of course this brings with it the terrifying prospect that we have the video game equivalent of the disco era to look forward to, if indeed it's not already upon us. Either way, I'll be giving that a miss.
I think that era might be represented by Kinect dancing games.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Non-gamers do not bash gamers. Gaming is as socially acceptable as watching films.
It depends on the age group, I think. People under 30 either grew up playing games or are friends with people who did, so it's just normal to us. But in wider society there appears to be a perception that gamers are a subset of nerdom, as opposed to there being a nerdy subset of gamedom (of which I admit I am a part).

Anecdotally, there's a British comedy show called 10 O'Clock Live that talked a little bit about the Xbox One last week and one of the comedians on the show, Jimmy Carr, went for a rather lame joke referring to gamers as virgins. An odd choice considering the show appears to be targeted at 20-somethings, and the fact that one of the other comedians on the show, Charlie Brooker, is a famous video game fan that started his career as a game reviewer.
Old May 31 2013, 06:06 PM   #15
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

What most non gamers don't realize is that they are probably gamers too. Who do you think is buying shit like Angry Birds and Candy Crush? Most people who refer to themselves as gamers probably wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.

I don't really payu much attention to anyone who decides to look down on me for gaming. At the age of 41, I've decided that my generation was exposed to the first video games at a very early age and I've accepted that it is a way of modern life for me. For a good while there, I did think that I had outgrown it... but after watching my teenage son play Grand Theft Auto IV, I realized that this game was actually acted out by real professional actors.. which meant that there had to be a director... and that a lot of effort was put into this product to make it seem authentic. I've been an avid gamer ever since and I've actually grown to look down on mediocre forms of other media.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote