Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 28 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
neoworx
Lieutenant

Wrath of Khan – my favorite design

More than thirty years after i originally saw it, Wrath of Khan remains as my favorite 2 hours of Star Trek. One of the main aspects that I've always loved was the new costume designs that Robert Fletcher introduced at the behest of director Nick Meyer. Because of that, I've spent several years putting together a collection of screen-used pieces that center on the movie stuff from ST2-6.

Check it out here:

wrathofdhan.com

Last edited by neoworx; May 28 2013 at 05:56 PM.
neoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Wrath of Khan – my favorite design

I gotta say, I just don't remember the leather female top. Getting old. Did Saavik wear it under her field jacket in The Search for Spock?
Old May 28 2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, definitely Saavik's from ST:III
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Yes, the costumes introduced in Wrath of Khan were great. They were sharp, functional, and looked like officers uniforms of a ship like the Enterprise, should. I have to say though, that I have a penchant for the colorful uniforms of TOS . Anything is better than the pajamas that they wore in The Motion Picture.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
xvicente
Commander

One thing I noticed was the production of III allegedly couldnt change the uniforms again after II because of the expense (also I dont think anybody thought it was needed). But II had a LOT of new costumes: the civilian clothes for all the heros, all the Vulcans including Spock's white robe that was used in IV, The "bomber jacket" used by Scotty who was getting fatter but alto the Admiral, the waitress and Yoda, at the bar, They really sewed a lot for III

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:39 AM   #6
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

This is actually my second favorite design after the uniforms with the gray tops that started in First Contact. The rest look like stuff you would wear to bed or, in the case of Enterprise, something you would wear right before you skydove or something. These look and feel like uniforms, even though I never really understood the bib part. What was that supposed to represent.
Old May 30 2013, 05:02 AM   #7
TheSubCommander
Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
These look and feel like uniforms, even though I never really understood the bib part. What was that supposed to represent.
I had the same question. I think it was supposed to be reminiscent of either 18-19th century naval uniforms or US Army Union officer uniforms from the Civil War. I think the white part might have been put there for the bloody hand print on Kirk's uniform for dramatic effect, though.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 05:15 AM   #8
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I do love the uniform designs for TWOK. The movie uniforms are still my favorites concerning the classic movies.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:03 PM   #9
starburst
Fleet Captain

I too really like these, although not my favourite as the ones from the new movies and FC edge out 1st and 2nd but they come in a close 3rd (and at times move up the order depending on my mood).

The one thing I dont like about these after all this time are the trousers and boots, they just dont seem to have aged as well as the top half which still looks sharp.

A far more heroic look for Starfleet than whatever you can call the TMP uniforms, with few exceptions of ideas which just didnt work out as well as they could have.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Lance
Fleet Captain

The TWOK uniforms are much more like an extension of the TOS uniforms. Especially the pants and boots combo. The only thing I didn't personally like about them was the belt and it's slightly-too-conspicuous buckle. I'm not sure what I'd have replaced it with though, and the uniform as designed might have looked a little odd without it. But... I dunno, it's the only bit of the uniform that crosses the line into being over-stylized for me. I love the rest of it.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Tiberius
Commodore

starburst wrote: View Post
...whatever you can call the TMP uniforms...
Bootie pajamas.

Or maybe onesies.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Lance
Fleet Captain

I'm still not convinced that the TMP uniforms weren't just painted straight onto their bodies. Shatner, Nimoy et al are probably walking around completely naked in that movie.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 12:09 AM   #13
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

even though I never really understood the bib part. What was that supposed to represent.
That's an open flap. IIRC, we see Kirk opening and closing the flap in TWOK. The female uniform in the picture is an example with the flap closed.

Not sure what the point is, though, when there's just more jacket underneath. Might loosen it up a bit in the neck/chest area. Also not sure offhand if all the uniforms came with this feature, or it was just there on the "hero" costume (Kirk's).
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:23 AM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
even though I never really understood the bib part. What was that supposed to represent.
That's an open flap. IIRC, we see Kirk opening and closing the flap in TWOK. The female uniform in the picture is an example with the flap closed.

Not sure what the point is, though, when there's just more jacket underneath. Might loosen it up a bit in the neck/chest area. Also not sure offhand if all the uniforms came with this feature, or it was just there on the "hero" costume (Kirk's).
We saw McCoy open his and I think there's a shot in TWOK where Saavik has hers open.
Old May 31 2013, 01:46 AM   #15
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Hero costumes then...I'll bet the extras didn't have flaps!
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote