Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 30 2013, 07:00 AM   #136
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: is babylonian 5 any good

So when a lady says that things are living in her wazoo, a gentleman is suppose to pretend that she only burped?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:30 AM   #137
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

I submit the motion to change this threads title to "Rumble In The Jungle (Part II)" in honour of Miss Teacups and her Guy.
You two make this thread lively tbh.

Last edited by Lt. LaForge; May 30 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 09:38 AM   #138
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

teacake wrote: View Post
God that book was awful.
To tell the truth, I haven't read that one yet.
Old May 30 2013, 01:40 PM   #139
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Charles Manson disapproves.

Stranger in a Strange Land is a lot livelier than something like Time Enough for Love or I Will Fear No Evil or even Number of the Beast. But in the end it's all about imagining yourself with superpowers because you're so much better than other people. It's quite a mind-blowing experience if you're thirteen years old (as I was when it read it,) particularly if you come from a strongly evangelical home.

As an adult? Don't see how it could be worth much. Despite my sentimental regard for childhood reading of other Heinlein books, I can't say the world would have lost much if everything after The Moon is a Harsh Mistress had been lost. I've learned how derivative of Twain, Mencken, London, Shaw Heinlein's style was, but when it's your first exposure, it was enthralling.
Old May 30 2013, 01:44 PM   #140
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I dutifully read a lot of Heinlein when I was a teenager because that is what science fiction fans did. I despised everything other than Podkayne of Mars which I loved and read several times. I bought a copy of it in a garage sale several years ago and found it was utterly dreadful, unreadable.

I hope this doesn't happen should I ever try and reread A Princess of Mars which I loved much much more..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:56 PM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I read three different books where his hero goes back time to have sex with his mother.

I should have stopped after the first time this happened.

Old May 30 2013, 08:24 PM   #142
stj
Rear Admiral

To cut to the quick, Heinlein was a right wing loon who thought superior people didn't have to follow standard morals, especially about sex. When desegregation came around, he stopped being interested in the real world and dived into his navel. His earlier stuff was better because he hadn't purged himself of left-wing influences yet. (Social Credit, his first, unacknowledged, wife) The juveniles benefit from restraining his natural impulses and using his talent for exposition. (Calling exposition an infodump is a tactic used by people who can't write interesting exposition.)
Old May 30 2013, 10:10 PM   #143
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, I find his stuff very interesting, if not to be taken entirely seriously. But he wasn't a Right Wing loon-- more of a strange kind of Libertarian. He believed in individual liberty and opposed organized religion. He certainly believed in sexual freedom. He believed in a meritocracy. Stranger In A Strange Land, remember, was embraced by the 60s counterculture. I think of him as kind of like Ellison-- I only agree with him maybe half the time, but I like reading him almost all the time.
Old May 30 2013, 10:32 PM   #144
Jan
Commodore

stj wrote: View Post
...who thought superior people didn't have to follow standard morals, especially about sex.
Yes...but he always was clear that the behavior (by anybody, superior or not) not cause harm to anybody, especially children. I have no problem with this at all.

So...is anybody else going to even mention B5 in this thread?

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:55 PM   #145
teacake
Admiral

We're waiting for tmosler to get back to us about her Babylon 5 viewing and keeping the thread warm while we wait.

At one point in my youth I had read everything than Harlan had published but I wouldn't bother with any of it now. I'm sure it stands up better to time than Heinlein's claptrap though. Still even back then Dangerous Visions (which I realize he didn't write, but anthologized) was a bunch of OMG WE'RE HAVING SEX wankery.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 30 2013, 11:00 PM   #146
stj
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Well, I find his stuff very interesting, if not to be taken entirely seriously. But he wasn't a Right Wing loon-- more of a strange kind of Libertarian. He believed in individual liberty and opposed organized religion. He certainly believed in sexual freedom. He believed in a meritocracy. Stranger In A Strange Land, remember, was embraced by the 60s counterculture. I think of him as kind of like Ellison-- I only agree with him maybe half the time, but I like reading him almost all the time.
Yes, it is less embarrassing if we try to pass off one of SF's most revered writers as an eccentric or contrarian. Read his West Point speech. Also, I see all libertarians as rightwing and loony.

For Jan, I'll repeat: Babylon 5 handled its themes, which overlapped so strongly with DS9, much, much better. And I don't see how anyone who thought DS9 was deep could think Babylon 5 was, or vice versa.
Old May 31 2013, 12:13 AM   #147
teacake
Admiral

You don't think anyone who thought DS9 was deep would think the same of Bab 5? I don't understand why?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 02:38 AM   #148
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Did a hole.

I'm exhausted.

Wow that's deep.

What do you mean that's only 6 inches?

I don't want to dig any more.

My arms hurt.

I guess I'm just a 6 inches sort of guy.

Let's call it a day.

Old May 31 2013, 05:57 AM   #149
teacake
Admiral

Yes, it is less embarrassing if we try to pass off one of SF's most revered writers as an eccentric or contrarian. Read his West Point speech. Also, I see all libertarians as rightwing and loony.
Help me. I googled his west point speech but can't seem to find it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 31 2013, 06:06 AM   #150
Gov Kodos
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Help me. I googled his west point speech but can't seem to find it.
Heinlein attended Annapolis, the Naval Academy, so he probably made a speech or two there.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote