Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 27 2013, 01:36 AM   #31
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Have you heard of this College?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

Might want to focus on getting your undergrad work taken care of before you start getting pie-in-the-sky dreams of a master's degree in physics.
Indeed. Four years is a long time, and there is a lot of work to do before you should even start thinking about grad school. Who knows what might change between now and then?
Isn't that the truth!

I started college intending to major in Subject #1, but after one semester figured out that I was more interested Subject #2, so I majored in that. Then they dropped the courses I was most interested in, so I unhappily shifted to Subject #3. By junior year, I realized that where I really wanted to be was Subject #4, but it would've taken an extra semester to graduate, and I just wasn't that motivated, so I stayed with Subject #3.

A couple years later, I got a masters in Subject #5, which was related to what they had eliminated from Subject #2. Not sure why I didn't go for Subject #2 itself. Probably just because #5 was a shorter program and available at a university within walking distance of my apartment. About 15 years later -- obviously way more motivated by then -- I finally went and got a masters in Subject #4.

Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:14 AM   #32
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

All I know, is that I was disappointed that Trip Tucker didn't go the Georgia Tech.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:49 PM   #33
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Ha, that would've been pretty sweet.
Old May 29 2013, 08:32 PM   #34
jayceee
Commander

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I am hoping to go there for science, Masters in physics.
What area of physics?
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:55 PM   #35
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Physics turned me from a physics heavy major to a chemistry heavy one.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:25 PM   #36
jayceee
Commander

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Physics turned me from a physics heavy major to a chemistry heavy one.
I remember freshman/sophomore physics frequently turned off a lot of freshman and sophomore engineering majors.

At quite a number of universities, the freshman/sophomore physics sequence of courses were used as "weed out" courses to kick out as many engineering majors as possible. Especially after the first course on classical mechanics. The second (or third) course on electricity and magnetism further "thinned out the herd".
Old May 31 2013, 01:35 PM   #37
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I took an electrical systems class through the engineering school rather than subject myself to Physics II.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 03:40 PM   #38
jayceee
Commander

I didn't take a lot of physics towards the end of my time in college. Just the freshman/sophomore sequence which the engineering majors had to take, and several optional courses like modern physics (basically an intro to quantum mechanics course for engineering majors) and an intermediate course on classical mechanics (mostly Lagrangian stuff).

The intermediate classical mechanics course actually helped quite a lot in understanding and appreciating the basic quantum mechanics stuff (in the modern physics course), which would otherwise seem like a "deus ex machina". (I took that intermediate classical mechanics course and also an "advanced math methods for engineers" course in the previous semester, before taking that modern physics for engineers course).

Last edited by jayceee; May 31 2013 at 04:01 PM.