A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 29 2013, 01:31 PM   #76
Warped9
Admiral

Re: TOS continues...

Watching the new actors was a tad jarring, but I gradually got into it. Scotty is almost note perfect.

Last edited by Warped9; May 30 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:44 PM   #77
Forbin
Admiral

It was Doohan's son, so...
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 08:21 PM   #78
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

This response is probably best suited to Fan Productions, but....

I was impressed and enjoyed most of the cast a great deal. I'm just not sold on Larry Nemecek as McCoy and I'm not nuts about Grant Imahara as Sulu, but, like all the fan films, I expect they'll grow with each performance. Nobody embarrassed themselves.

Chris Doohan, duh, is like a clone of his dad. He was 3rd season Scotty 100% and his being there really made me feel like I was watching a fourth season episode. I just wish the writers of these things would resist the urge to give Scotty lines of the "all right, we beastie, time to ring the dinner bell" dialog when he's working on saving the day in the Jeffrie's tube. Phase 2 did that also and it pulls me right out of it. I'd rather have him muttering the old classic Scottish swearing.

Vic Mignogna - a great Kirk, with just enough confidence to keep Kirk from swaggering. I saw little to no actual Shatner impersonation, which was great. He lived the spirit of the character.

Todd Haberkorn nailed Spock, easily my favorite fan Spock.

Kim Stinger was great in New Voyages/Phase 2 and she's still great. And gorgeous.

While I'm not thrilled with a counselor this early in Trek history, Michele Specht did really well with a limited (so far) role. And she's is drop dead gorgeous. I'm a fan now.

Michael Forest brought real dignity to the role. The hair/no hair thing was initially confusing and reminded me Lazarus and his beard, but once I got it (I'm slow sometimes), I dig it.

The holodeck idea originated in TAS (Doug Drexler as Paladin!), so I was okay with it here. Just please, never use it again!

What really sold me on this wasn't only the actors and the fine story, but the cinematography. Case in point, Apollo hoists Kirk in to the air, holds him there and we dollop in to a fade. Simply, effective, and very TREK.

Jamie Bamber! Marina Sirtis as the computer voice!

I liked this a lot and for a first run out of the gate, truly amazing. I'm going to love this influx of classic Trek between these guys and Phase 2.
Old May 29 2013, 08:25 PM   #79
Warped9
Admiral

Some cast performance observations.

Overall I thought they quite good. I think Kirk and McCoy and Sulu could reign it in just a wee bit while Spock could use a bit more nuance. But it's their first outing and so Bravo to them.

I'm curious as to whether they'll develop the Elise McKenna character. I thought she was cute and distinctive enough.
Old May 29 2013, 11:58 PM   #80
Warped9
Admiral

I just wrote these folks a letter of appreciation. They not only made Star Trek fun again they did it with a certain sensibility and depth of feeling. It's the best fan production I've ever seen and I think they deserve appreciation and encouragement.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com
Old May 30 2013, 12:15 AM   #81
Redfern
Commodore

I THOUGHT that was Grant Imahara as Sulu! Given how enthusiastic he was in the Gorn cannon segment of MythBusters, this was probably a dream come true.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 12:26 AM   #82
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Thank-you....just, thank-you!
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 12:28 AM   #83
Pauln6
Commodore

Looks good fun! I will watch it all tomorrow. Odd that they decided to bring in a new character instead of using the mischievous Helen Noel though. They should try and feature Chapel and Rand in some episodes too but the production values and cast seem really good from what I've seen so far.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:18 AM   #84
Warped9
Admiral

One of things that really struck me is that it didn't feel fannish. I admit part of me kept waiting for those moments when the fanboy sensibility would pop up, and yet that never happened. Cool!
Old May 30 2013, 05:54 AM   #85
blssdwlf
Commodore

Wow this is pretty good and TOS-ish. Well done
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 06:23 AM   #86
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I have to say, the acting quality with STC makes the other fan productions look so collegiate. Not to diss the others, as I have a lot of admiration for them, but... wow, this new take on TOS has a lot of potential. These guys actually went to acting school!

And another thing, about Vic Mignogna's Kirk... you can see some of Shatner's style in the character, but it is very subtle. Like the way he sits in the command chair and turns his head & body to look at others on the bridge. If only his voice was just a little deeper. Also, he certainly has the waistline that Shatner had in S3.

Btw, did anyone else sense a hint of Marina Sirtis in the computer's voice?

Last edited by Gary7; May 30 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:23 AM   #87
starburst
Fleet Captain

I watched this the other day, really enjoyed it.

There may be quibbles here and there but its a fan film; the production values, skill and commitment of all involved have to be applauded, really looking forward to the next installment!

Best yet is we get to see the true TOS Enterprise sail into the unknown, unfortunately for me New Voyages have taken a swerve off the road for me with the Phase II refit.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:26 AM   #88
Warped9
Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Btw, did anyone else sense a hint of Marina Sirtis in the computer's voice?
Apparently it really is her.
Old May 30 2013, 01:26 PM   #89
Forbin
Admiral

Grant was trying too hard to do a George Takei impression.

Michelle Specht, please marry me?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:43 PM   #90
Warped9
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Grant was trying too hard to do a George Takei impression.
Agreed. He needs to dial it back some.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Michelle Specht, please marry me?
I imagine you'll be standing in a very long line of suitors.

One thing I'd like to see them avoid: shout-outs to the other series. If they want to keep that authentic feel then approach it like the other shows haven't happened yet. TAS gave them a small window in terms of the holodeck, but McKenna's counsellor should be reconciled in some way and leave it at that. She could still be a psychiatrist trying out this new role as counsellor. But, please, oh please, leave the other shows out of it.

While this first episode was a sequel, something TOS never did although TAS did (again that small rationalizing window), I appreciate they avoided the faniish approach of space battles and time travel and crossovers (the first New Voyages/Phase II effort really made me cringe) What they really need now are solid stories as if they were really writing for TOS rather than indulging in the "wouldn't it be kewl if we had seen..." mentality.