Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 28 2013, 11:14 PM   #61
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Guy Ritchie To Direct 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Starring Tom Cruis

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think Jon Hamm would be an excellent Solo but, leaving aside the unlikeliness of two leading men called Hamm and Hammer(!)
They should run with that. The tagline could be: HAMM-er time!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 11:29 PM   #62
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

"Get HAMMered by UNCLE!"

Edit to add: Deadline reports that Henry Cavill is in early talks to star in The Man from UNCLE.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; May 29 2013 at 03:11 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:31 AM   #63
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^That would be pretty cool. I did think he might be a possibility but, as with Hammer, I thought he might be as yet an unproven draw in his own right (in MOS it's the title character who will be the draw). It would be interesting to see how a movie fares where the two leads have each played the title in a big franchise/tentpole movie but are themselves fairly new to the world of leading men.

And of course, with Armie having been lined up to play Batman in George Miller's Justice League and still cropping up in wishlists for the inevitable reboot, this might be our first glimpse at Batman and Superman onscreen together!
Old May 29 2013, 02:39 PM   #64
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^I think it's George's grey hair (which to his credit, he rarely dyes). Makes him look older, more distinguished.
Yeah, I think it'd be easy not to be vain about hair color when one looks, sounds, and looks as good with gray hair as Clooney.

Anyone else without pre-existing fondness for the property think The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is kind of a lame name, though? I didn't grow up with the show, but I have a hard time picturing something with that title doing as well with the unwashed teen-demo masses as something shorter and punchier a la Get Smart.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:18 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yeah, I think it'd be easy not to be vain about hair color when one looks, sounds, and looks as good with gray hair as Clooney.
His father Nick Clooney (who was a local news anchor when I was growing up, and whom I got to meet once) always looked good with silver hair, and I'm struck by how much more George resembles his father as he gets older.

Anyone else without pre-existing fondness for the property think The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is kind of a lame name, though? I didn't grow up with the show, but I have a hard time picturing something with that title doing as well with the unwashed teen-demo masses as something shorter and punchier a la Get Smart.
On the other hand, it's been an inspiration for other titles continuing to the present day -- there are upcoming Marvel Comics-based TV shows called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in live action and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. in animation. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created S.H.I.E.L.D. in the comics just a year after TMFU premiered, and were drawing on it as an influence (as well as James Bond organizations like SPECTRE -- and keep in mind that Ian Fleming had a hand in the creation of TMFU).

The name U.N.C.L.E. was chosen because it evoked both the United Nations and Uncle Sam, but was ambiguous about the organization's actual affiliation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 08:40 PM   #66
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ I get and give you all that, but my question was about the under-25 demo remains: SHIELD is an inherently cool name for an organization, and UNCLE is not. Maybe it wouldn't really matter. We'll see?
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:06 PM   #67
Christopher
Writer

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ I get and give you all that, but my question was about the under-25 demo remains: SHIELD is an inherently cool name for an organization, and UNCLE is not.
Perhaps that depends on how patriotic you are. Or has "Uncle Sam" fallen out of use as a meme? There are certainly some segments of the population that would react negatively to the hint of a United Nations connection... but then, those are the same segments that would tend to react more positively to the Uncle Sam connotation.

Then again, maybe it just depends on how cool an uncle you have. Let's see, my uncles include two physicists, one of whom worked on some of the earliest computers and studied under one of the guys who thought up wormholes, and a classical scholar who was a cryptographer in WWII and played a key role in deciphering the Greek Linear B alphabet, going on to become the world's leading authority on Mycenaean texts. So I guess I can't really sympathize with your view that uncles aren't cool.

Anyway, for a while, the name of the series was going to be just Solo, or Ian Fleming's Solo. (The extended color version of the pilot on the DVD set is under the title Solo.) They changed it because there was a character named Solo in Goldfinger. Fleming sent the producers a letter ceding the rights to the character name Napoleon Solo and all the ideas he'd developed in exchange for one dollar (or was it one pound?), but they still had to change the name of the show to something that wouldn't be seen as infringing on the Bond franchise.

Old May 29 2013, 09:13 PM   #68
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

They could always used the series title as a subtitle if someone thinks it will be a problem.

SOLO: The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Just as long as they don't go the "John Carter of Mars" route and shorten it to:

SOLO: The Man.
Old May 30 2013, 08:58 AM   #69
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Though if the actor playing Kuryakin is just as famous as the one playing Solo (and it's about a tie at this point and will probably remain so after Man of Steel and Lone Ranger are released) that could be a problem.
Old May 30 2013, 09:20 AM   #70
Starkers
Admiral

^Yeah but let's be honest most people love Kuryakin just as much as Solo

As for U.N.C.L.E, I guess it depends how they play it, not every organisation wants to call itself K.I.L.L, in particular one that isn't that, as far as I recall, top secret.

In fact if it were up to me (which it never will be) the trailer would start out a homesy tale with people in quiet rural parts talking about their problems and that maybe their uncle can help out...

Cue the music and cue the explosions

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 11:15 AM   #71
Aragorn
Admiral

^Though if the actor playing Kuryakin is just as famous as the one playing Solo (and it's about a tie at this point and will probably remain so after Man of Steel and Lone Ranger are released) that could be a problem.
Also, Hammer has been a name that's been strongly rumored for the new Batman.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:47 PM   #72
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, I mentioned that a few posts ago. Wonder if this film will be a trial run for World's Finest or Justice League?!
Old May 30 2013, 02:20 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

Starkers wrote: View Post
As for U.N.C.L.E, I guess it depends how they play it, not every organisation wants to call itself K.I.L.L, in particular one that isn't that, as far as I recall, top secret.
I've only seen the first season so far, but it's been very inconsistent about how secret (the) U.N.C.L.E. is. In the early episodes, Solo & Kuryakin are often openly telling civilians about their agency and what it does, and generally people have heard of it. There's one episode where Illya is trying to recruit Jill Ireland to help him out with a mission during a crowded party scene while there are multiple civilians (mostly members of the show's staff) well within earshot. Yet at the same time, they comport themselves like a highly secret spy agency, hiding their HQ behind the facade of a tailor shop -- yet their archenemies are perfectly well aware that that's where their HQ is located! Yet later in the season, they're playing U.N.C.L.E.'s existence much more secretly; in one episode, when they need to recruit Kathryn Hays to get close to a villain who's an old flame of hers (exactly the same reason they openly recruited Pat Crowley's character in the piot), Solo essentially kidnaps her and won't even tell her the name of the organization that's holding her captive and demanding her cooperation.

In fact if it were up to me (which it never will be) the trailer would start out a homesy tale with people in quiet rural parts talking about their problems and that maybe their uncle can help out...

Cue the music and cue the explosions
Well, there was a running gag in the show involving characters talking about getting help from a kindly uncle, or having a message for their uncle, or whatever. I suppose that was inevitable, really.

Old August 9 2013, 05:08 PM   #74
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

This is a bit of a surprise but could bode well for a tongue-in-cheek tone; Hugh Grant is to join the cast as the head of British Naval Intelligence.

http://m.rte.ie/ten/touch/news/2013/...rom-u-n-c-l-e/
Old September 3 2013, 08:04 PM   #75
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Don't know if anyone but me is still interested but production has started. Grant is confirmed as Waverly and Richie's Sherlock Holmes 2 villain has joined the cast. And - best of all - it's set in the early 1960s!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...d-jared-harris