MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 30 2013, 01:51 AM   #16
Crazyewok
Commander

Re: Dominion Verse Borg?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
If the Borg have to hold the changelings in a humanoid form to assimilate them, then why bother assimilating them? Just focus on the Jem'Hadar for drones instead.

Im guessing they would only get a handfull as the jem hadar would think nothing of suicide as soon as the assimilation tubs enter them, even the few not quick enough would mostly likely be shoot by nearby jem hadar.

I could see the jemhadar going into battle with explosives strapped to them.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:52 AM   #17
Third Nacelle
Captain

The Changelings have a lot of distinctiveness to add to the collective. The Jem'Hadar might make good drones, but that's about it.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:02 AM   #18
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Now I want to see that war.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

I believe the conventional thinking on this matter is that Changelings could shapeshift fast enough to avoid assimilation. However, if a quantum stasis field were used to hold a Changeling in one form long enough to assimilate them, it might work. But would the QSF have to be held on them indefinitely, or just temporarily? Indefinitely would kill the Changeling, defeating the point of assimilating them.

And Jem'Hadar drones would eliminate the need for maturation chambers. A Jem'Hadar grows to adult size in three days. They already have built in defenses that drones lack, like the shroud, and are more durable than most humanoids.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 06:02 AM   #20
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I don't see how they couldn't assimilate Changelings, though they might have to prevent them from changing shape during the assimilation process. It'd probably be as simple as assimilate one and send him back to the GL.
Again: how do you assimilate a liquid ? The borg's nanoprobes seem designed for humanoids only or at least mainly.
If the changelings were merely puddles of goo, they would not be able to think, control their actions, etc - just as the coffee in your cup is not capable of such feats.
The fact that they can means there is very sophisticated semi-organic machinery at work. Which can be assimilated - seeing how the borg nanoprobes can assimilate machinery and biology (as we have seen).
Old May 30 2013, 06:24 AM   #21
TheSubCommander
Captain

The Dominion would clearly be defeated as an empire by the Borg. The Vorta and Jem'Hadar don't possess either the technology or the cleverness and independence of thought to be a match for the Borg. The Changelings would have to do the thinking for them, and I think they would rather hide from the Borg, instead.

In my view, the end result: the Founders send the Vorta and Jem'Hadar to their deaths or assimilation, and while using them as cannon fodder and a distraction, the Founders escape the Borg and remain undetectable by them.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:07 AM   #22
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The Borg's biggest advantage is their ability to adapt to an enemy's weapons. Besides the fact they probably have tens of thousands of cubes.

They dont even waste energy on non threats. They ignore them. They only take action when it's proven that a person or ship can do damage to them.

The Dominion cant afford to react that way--one cube and they'll send a huge fleet which may or may not be wiped out.

Second biggest advantage is assimilation-- if they get the right Vorta scientists--it's over.

One of the Founders biggest advantages is that they seemed to be experts at genetics--I can see them devising some type of virus to infect the entire Borg.

But if the Borg can adapt to that ............?
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Crazyewok
Commander

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
The Dominion would clearly be defeated as an empire by the Borg. The Vorta and Jem'Hadar don't possess either the technology or the cleverness and independence of thought to be a match for the Borg. The Changelings would have to do the thinking for them, and I think they would rather hide from the Borg, instead.

In my view, the end result: the Founders send the Vorta and Jem'Hadar to their deaths or assimilation, and while using them as cannon fodder and a distraction, the Founders escape the Borg and remain undetectable by them.
Rubbish. The dominion in the Gamma quadrant has as many speices if not more than the federation. They would be pumping out tec like mad.

If the Wormhole had been open to the Dominion they would have crushed the Alpha quadrent with little effort.

As for assimilation the dominion would never let that happen, they would destroy there own planets before they let them be turned over to the borg. There ships would self destruct as soon as the first drone steps on board.

As for tatics the dominion have a limitless supply of ships. As soon as the borg adapt they would just fly there ships into the borg ships until they came out with a new weapon.

Look at how quick the dominion could pump out ships and Jemhadar useing just the the industry of a 3rd rate power like the cardassians! And in the Gamma quadrent they have a Empire that spans a good portion of it with centeries to build up ship buidling facilites.

Last edited by Crazyewok; May 30 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old May 30 2013, 11:53 AM   #24
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Not fast enough for the Borg, I fear.

Ramming your ships into Borg vessels is not a good way to keep your fleet up.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 30 2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Crazyewok
Commander

Belz... wrote: View Post
Not fast enough for the Borg, I fear.

Ramming your ships into Borg vessels is not a good way to keep your fleet up.
From the maps of the dominion seem to have thousands of worlds.

Now if only a handfull of third rate cardasian worlds can produce enough ships to bring the federation to its knees think of what a vast empire that is most likley 3 times the size of the federation and has had thousands of years to build its shipywards and military industrial complex? To me invading the dominion would be like kicking a wasps nest.

Resistance in this case would be far from futile.

Last edited by Crazyewok; May 30 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 30 2013, 12:37 PM   #26
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Someone mentioned that the borg have millions of ships.

Also, the Dominion brought ships to the alpha quadrant, too. It didn't build everything from scratch, and the Cardassians had their own fleets already.

Old May 30 2013, 12:37 PM   #27
Infern0
Captain

The Borg win

Jem'Hadar will be adapted to with ease, Vorta again no problem, as soon as the dominion weapons are adapted to they haven't got much of a chance, the dominion would be worn down, they'd last a while but they'd be worn down.

The Founders are a different story, can the borg assimilate them? if not they sure can kill them, or glass the founders planet.

So yes I do think the Borg will win.

And I know the Dominion have a large territory and a lot of ships, so do the Borg, Borg space was made up of "thousands of star systems" and the borg were about 3 minutes away from destroying earth with ONE cube. Their entire millitary might is nigh on unplayable

Dominion are outgunned here in a straight up war.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:33 PM   #28
Portal
Commander

The galaxy is so vast, never the twain shall meet.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:57 PM   #29
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Portal wrote: View Post
The galaxy is so vast, never the twain shall meet.
And yet the Borg occupy a large swath of the delta quadrant and keep on advancing.

Old May 30 2013, 03:04 PM   #30
Portal
Commander

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Dominion worlds rebelled and put all the Founders to the sword. It's a wonder they've survived this long.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote